Reasonable pay

It’s just all part of his bargaining banter,when he lets you go…that’s when your rate is too high. IMHO

I charge by the hour. Minimum 8, time and half after 9.

Occasionally I will vary this, but only if there is a good reason to.

I do work for a fixed rate, but I would assume a 15 and charge accordingly. So, a fixed rate shift would be at least £180 depending on the day/time, it could well be more. That is C+E though.

You need to up your rates by at least 30% as has been said. And even then, you’re doing it cheap. If they think you aren’t, I’d love to see their faces when they find out how much an agency would cost them…

However, I suspect they know this already and are just trying it on with you.

Tell them to ■■■■ off!!! Plenty of work out there at the minute.

kyoung:
The company is in runcorn.

:open_mouth: :open_mouth:

Due to the proximity of Warrington and Haydock and the amount of industry within 30 miles of Runcorn there’s a high demand for drivers.

It wants to be £12hr, paid by the hour, 8hrs minimum booking. He won’t get a better deal from agencies in that area. D&D Recruitment have a Class 2 vacancy for £9/hr PAYE which equates to a cost to them to employ that person of just under £11/hr. so they’ll be charging £13/hr. SITA UK £27k a year for a 45hr average week which is £11.53 an hour, Ocean City are wanting class 2 ADR to work out of Woodland Logistics in Irlam paying £11.50hr which will cost them just short of £14 so they’ll be charging £16/hr.

As for the £432 for 50hrs being just a bit more than you were getting paid on agency I can guarantee you the agency were charging £600, probably more.

For christ sake don’t let him off with anything less than £11/hr with minimum 8hrs booking because you’re worried you won’t find work elsewhere because you will and for a lot more than he’s willing to pay.

Write a letter, state that from Monday 10th November that due to an increase in demand, rates are going up and that you will no longer be offering daily rates, that it is now an hourly rate with minimum 8hr booking which if cancelled with less than 12hrs will still be due and the new rate is £11/hr. Worst that can happen is he doesn’t book you and then you just go sign up with one of the many agencies screaming out for drivers.

Conor:

kyoung:
The company is in runcorn.

:open_mouth: :open_mouth:

Due to the proximity of Warrington and Haydock and the amount of industry within 30 miles of Runcorn there’s a high demand for drivers.

It wants to be £12hr, paid by the hour, 8hrs minimum booking. He won’t get a better deal from agencies in that area.

As for the £432 for 50hrs being just a bit more than you were getting paid on agency I can guarantee you the agency were charging £600, probably more.

For christ sake don’t let him off with anything less than £11/hr with minimum 8hrs booking because you’re worried you won’t find work elsewhere because you will and for a lot more than he’s willing to pay.

Write a letter, state that from Monday 10th November that due to an increase in demand, rates are going up and that you will no longer be offering daily rates, that it is now an hourly rate with minimum 8hr booking which if cancelled with less than 12hrs will still be due and the new rate is £11/hr. Worst that can happen is he doesn’t book you and then you just go sign up with one of the many agencies screaming out for drivers.

This^^^

Or firms. Try approaching a few direct. Some are desperate for drivers and you may hit the jackpot! Just don’t put up with the ■■■■ you’ve got at the minute.

kyoung:
Just a quick one. I’m a freelance driver, clean class 2 with adr. Just upped my daily rate to £100 and £25 per night out.
The company I have been subbing to seem to think this rate is unreasonable.

I would hate to know what you WERE on before you put your rate up to £100 a day! (EDIT: Just re-read your post and seen it) Am I right in guessing the £432 included 4 nights out too? :unamused:

Nights out money is not part of your wage and shouldn’t be counted as such

You would get paid 8 hours regardless, so £100/8 = £12.50 which is reasonable for a self employed driver

But, if you were to do a 13 hour day, you work out at £7.69 per hour, which is pathetic for a self employed driver.

and if you go all the way to 15, you are on £6.67 p/h

… They say YOU are being unreasonable?