Rear steer..

Any tips? Will be driving 30 odd ft rear steer trailers all week from tomorrow for the coop…

Little and gentle…when reversing turn little and gentle. Otherwise before you know it you’re at 90 degree angles to where to wanted to be [emoji106]

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

With most of them you must only couple up with unit and trailer in a straight line, due to the wedge which has to engage in the jaws of the 5th wheel and which operates the steering mechanism.

When going forward the trailer follows closely in the tyre tracks of the unit. When reversing it all happens very quickly - take it slowly and don’t use large steering inputs. By the same token though, if you do over-do the steering while reversing it only takes a very small shunt to straighten it all up again. Ours had very little overhang at the front and we had fully glazed cabs so blind-side reversing was a total doddle - just look over your left shoulder and you can see where the trailer’s going :slight_smile:. In most situations I found them more manouverable than our current 10m rigids (although you have to keep a beady eye on the front corners of the unit as it’s all too easy to swing it wildly from side to side in trying to keep the trailer pointing where you want it and side-swipe parked cars, concrete posts, bollards etc).

Just take it easy, there are a few different types out there, but all do approximately the same thing.

Driving forwards is great, you get less cut in. However, be mindful that the tailswing is different and more pronounced on very tight turns in particular.

Reversing, some will lock the wheels straight and so behaves like a normal trailer. Some will actively steer, its best as has been said above to keep an eye on how fast the trailer is turning. Some should lock off, but don’t and the wheels won’t help you. Finding the manual lock is best done in the yard before you hit the road! It’s usually a button similar to the shunt button.

You’ll adjust quickly. People make quite a lot of fuss about them, but you’ll pick it up no problem.

slowlane:
Just take it easy, there are a few different types out there, but all do approximately the same thing.

Driving forwards is great, you get less cut in. However, be mindful that the tailswing is different and more pronounced on very tight turns in particular.

Reversing, some will lock the wheels straight and so behaves like a normal trailer. Some will actively steer, its best as has been said above to keep an eye on how fast the trailer is turning. Some should lock off, but don’t and the wheels won’t help you. Finding the manual lock is best done in the yard before you hit the road! It’s usually a button similar to the shunt button.

You’ll adjust quickly. People make quite a lot of fuss about them, but you’ll pick it up no problem.

Ours had no lock-off at all (manual or automatic). I think that’s quite common on the shorter trailers.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

You live and learn! :sunglasses:

I’ve only pulled full length 3/4 axle ones, most of them had the lock there available if the driver wants.

Just pretend the steering axle isn’t there.

Rear steers are great once you are used to them,look where you need to reverse into and only use half the lock you would normally,you will be surprised where you can get into and round,
Old place used to send rear steers into places you couldn’t get a rigid in,don’t need to swing out so much turning just watch cut in.
Before you leave the yard practice putting it onto a bay or 2 gives you an idea of what to expect.

Also the last bit of Roymondo’s 1st post about watching the front of the unit,nearly tripped me up a few times first few times out :blush:

You’re agency - you will instinctively know how to drive said trailer along with the horrible Scania units they have, it’s part of the zen of agency. :slight_smile:

The coop ones can’t be locked and do turn very quick, but you’ll get used to them pretty quick and will be very thankful when they send you into some of the stores. Just tell the staff “newbie” and they’ll all nod understandingly. They catch out even the most experienced drivers, but if you can master those you’ll even get the approval of the shunters (not easy to gain).

It’s the cages which I’d worry more about - they all act like they’ve got independent steering…! :open_mouth:

trevHCS:
You’re agency - you will instinctively know how to drive said trailer along with the horrible Scania units they have, it’s part of the zen of agency. :slight_smile:

The coop ones can’t be locked and do turn very quick, but you’ll get used to them pretty quick and will be very thankful when they send you into some of the stores. Just tell the staff “newbie” and they’ll all nod understandingly. They catch out even the most experienced drivers, but if you can master those you’ll even get the approval of the shunters (not easy to gain).

It’s the cages which I’d worry more about - they all act like they’ve got independent steering…! :open_mouth:[/quote

If your lucky the cages full off pop and cans might even have 4 wheels on,never know your luck

Got on with rear steer less so with the cages.
They weigh a heck of a lot and are not fun when you need to get them up a curb.

They are great. You don’t need to use the mirrors, if the bit you are sitting in goes through the bit behind will.