Rear steer trailer - certificate?

Its actually a C+1E you need

I was the same with my company.
Had a short wheel base transit upgraded to a long wheel base hight top. After 2 weeks of intensive training i was finally allowed out on the road myself.

It was gard to adjust to the extra length of van when negotiating tight chicanes etc but i have the jist of it now.

My neighbours friend of a friend is a driving instructer. He says if you learn in a certain vehicle and want to drive a bigger vehicle you need to carry a certificate around in case police stop you and enquire why you drive a car 4 inches longer than what you learned in.

Big brother world we live in now.

cgscott:
My neighbours friend of a friend is a driving instructer. He says if you learn in a certain vehicle and want to drive a bigger vehicle you need to carry a certificate around in case police stop you and enquire why you drive a car 4 inches longer than what you learned in.

Big brother world we live in now.

This driving instructor doesn’t also happen to teach Driver CPC courses??

What a load of ■■■■■■■ ■■■■■■■■, so I pass my test in a Mini and go and buy a Dacia Duster and the Old Bill is going to want to see a training certificate, to confirm I’m allowed and trained to drive it?, how would they know what car I passed my test in?, there are some fhucwhits on here that spout absolute ■■■■■ and repeat absolute ■■■■■■

Sapper

Wooosshhh

Sent from my FIG-LX1 using Tapatalk

ezydriver:
I just emailed VOSA, and they said you need a C+E+E.

Whats one of them license then.

ezydriver:

Sounds like a load of rubbish to me. Post the reply they sent you

:smiling_imp:

Montsoreau:

ezydriver:

I think he may have been taking the p155 there mate :bulb:

These 50ft rear steer trailers are apparently still under review as to wether to stick with them as in do they save fuel etc . Because of this there is no legislation as the trial is still ongoing so some firms want in house training others don’t bother .
My previous firm wanted in house training whereas my current firm isn’t worried .

Montsoreau:

ezydriver:

Here’s a copy and paste of the email. It was longer, but I’ve just lifted the part about the longer trailers and the extra license.

Dear Mr Andrews,

Thank you for your enquiry regarding licensing and rear steering semi-trailers over 13.7 metres for use on the UK’s public roads.

We can confirm the licensing requirements to operate semi trailers over 13.7 metres AND with rear steering axles is covered by category C+E+E entitlement. The change of manoeuvrability characteristics of such trailers is considered too great to fall within scope of category C+E. Following trials of longer rear steering semi-trailers between 1st January 2012 and 31st December 2013, the licensing changes came into effect on June 1st 2014. All companies operating such trailers were notified of the changes 6 months in advance, and were advised to retrain drivers to comply.

The decision to require additional licensing was taken after consultation between the DVSA and the Department for Transport. During this consultation, research concluded that drivers of large goods vehicles (LGVs), particularly UK born drivers, are especially prone to lapses of judgement, and have less than average spatial awareness when measured against the general population. This is a serious danger to the public and costs industry and the economy unacceptable and disproportionate losses. It is therefore necessary for drivers who operate rear steering semi-trailers over 13.7 metres to acquire extra licensing entitlement to operate them.

In relation to your question about extending the DCPC training from 35 hours to 42 hours, we can confirm that from September 2022 changes to the DCPC mean that all

ezydriver:

Montsoreau:

ezydriver:

Here’s a copy and paste of the email. It was longer, but I’ve just lifted the part about the longer trailers and the extra license.

Dear Mr Andrews,

Thank you for your enquiry regarding licensing and rear steering semi-trailers over 13.7 metres for use on the UK’s public roads.

We can confirm the licensing requirements to operate semi trailers over 13.7 metres AND with rear steering axles is covered by category C+E+E entitlement. The change of manoeuvrability characteristics of such trailers is considered too great to fall within scope of category C+E. Following trials of longer rear steering semi-trailers between 1st January 2012 and 31st December 2013, the licensing changes came into effect on June 1st 2014. All companies operating such trailers were notified of the changes 6 months in advance, and were advised to retrain drivers to comply.

The decision to require additional licensing was taken after consultation between the DVSA and the Department for Transport. During this consultation, research concluded that drivers of large goods vehicles (LGVs), particularly UK born drivers, are especially prone to lapses of judgement, and have less than average spatial awareness when measured against the general population. This is a serious danger to the public and costs industry and the economy unacceptable and disproportionate losses. It is therefore necessary for drivers who operate rear steering semi-trailers over 13.7 metres to acquire extra licensing entitlement to operate them.

In relation to your question about extending the DCPC training from 35 hours to 42 hours, we can confirm that from September 2022 changes to the DCPC mean that all

If you really did get that in an email from DVSA I’d be surprised.So surprised that I’d suggest it was either made up or you’ve been the subject of a wind-up.

Roymondo:

ezydriver:

Montsoreau:

ezydriver:

Dear Mr Andrews,

If you really did get that in an email from DVSA I’d be surprised.So surprised that I’d suggest it was either made up or you’ve been the subject of a wind-up.

+1

It was asked above about reversing the rear steer trailer. From my experience, when you are reversing the rear steer axle still turns and does not ‘lock straight’.

As for the CEE stuff, that’s a new one on me. I was driving longer rear steer trailers at that time and I did not have to do any extra test. The training was ‘on the job’ by another driver.

gov.uk/government/collectio … iler-trial

LST - Longer Semi Trainer

Quick Guide To LST’s

According to the Don Bur trailer website:

• 15 year trial ending in 2027.
  • The trial permits 2800 trailers in the UK to have an increase in length of either 1 metre or 2.05 metres, equalling a total of 14.6 metres and 15.65 metres respectively.
  • Vehicles are still required to operate within the existing UK gross vehicle weight limit of 44 tonnes.
  • Operators commonly specify positive steer or self-tracking axles on LST’s to enable compliance and practicality for the longer trailer lengths.

It is worth reading the documents on that link at Gov UK. There may have been additional legislation since I was first trained to use them but they haven’t made very clear as many freinds are still driving these vehicles in a variety of companies without additional licencing or training. Certainly not extra money lol.

well, somebody better let allellys and the like know that they’ve been doing it wrong for years with their multi axle super length auto/command steer trailers with just normal (but very experienced ) drivers at the helm… :unamused:

m.a.n rules:
well, somebody better let allellys and the like know that they’ve been doing it wrong for years with their multi axle super length auto/command steer trailers with just normal (but very experienced ) drivers at the helm… :unamused:

Please, now, don’t spoil the fun.

too late mate, common sense will always prevail… :sunglasses: :wink:

having driven with trailers with multiple all steer axles, and trailers well over 30 metres long with steer axles and I can tell you that all you need is your standard class 1 (C+E) and an employer willing to take you on and train you up - I have friends, ex work colleagues, who are regularly moving 300 tonne + loads, loads over 100 foot long and none of them have anything more than a class 1- anything asked for extra is something your employer wants not DVLA

100 foot long rear steer trailer with 44 foot rear overhang - licence required Class 1 (C+E)

So don’t talk rubbish, there is no extra licencing requiremnts for drivers to use the longer trailers - there isn’t even any classification from DVLA that could be added to a drivers licence- it simply doesn’t exist.

Yes its got to be a windup, I been driving rear steers since 2005 for different companies and now I am pulling LST’s for the last 5 years with no certificate. Had a hour training on a LST that’s it. I have been pulled by the police and they didn’t even know what a LST was. They was more keen in checking I had strapped the load.

Think the lock down is causing a lack of common sense.

Well I’m pretty ■■■■ sure that’s a wind up.

I was put in this on my very first day of semi driving in NZ, very little semi experience and if you look closely at the trailer you will see the fourth axle which is rear steer.

Certainly didn’t ask if I had any additional training for long trailers or steering axles.

Anyone know if on a positive steer it’s just the 2 m12 bolts holding the wedge to the front turntable or have I missed something,just trying to free it up as it needs a forklift to pull 5 th wheel handle out

I can’t answer about the bolts but I do know you have to be in a straight line when un/coupling. I’ve certainly experienced being unable to pull the release handle if not straight and level. The problem always went away after a shunt to rectify alignment.