Rear Steer Tractors

Hi all.

I am not sure if I was seeing things or if it is available (it was the end of a long shift), but I saw a Scania 3 series towing a tipper today on the M1 J22 roundabout and I could swear its rear axle (6x2 rear tag) on the tractor counter steered. Has anybody got any info/pics or a rear steer tractor unit (any make). Pics (thats why I have posted in here if thats ok mods) would be great as then I can see I am not going mad. I know you can get rear steer rigids but am not sure of tractors.

Thanks

Andy

I knew of 1 4 series tag lift that was a special build. A rigid rear steer lift shortened in to a tractor unit. I was featured in a truck mag but can’t remember when. I could be wrong, but i thought a haulier like Sandy Kidd had one converted.

i remember it too mr vain, 4 series topline scania. i think it was McCaul Haulage that was the feature mr vain, i’ve also been told Galt have a r series rear steer too

Photo Curtesy of Brian Edgar

It was Angus Agencies who were in Trucking magazine a few years ago. Specially built as a shortened rigid in the Netherlands, brought over here and had fuel tanks and fifth wheel fitted at SB components. I believe MGS Logistics in Aberdeen has some aswell.

Is that bloody picture big enough? :imp:

Koop:

I was thinking that too Koop, also, why that picture ?
It may be a rear steer tractor, but if it is, it isn’t showing that. :smiling_imp: :smiling_imp:

Koop:

PMSL :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

as far as i’m aware you cannot buy a “off the shelf” rear steer tractor unit. from how i read the article in the truck mag it wasnt a shortened rigid it was spec’d from the factory as the shortest lenght rigid available and then the 5th wheel flitches and bed were added over here.

Echo…

Hutchie, I reduced the size of the photo, even tho we do allow large images on here that was huge, :grimacing: :grimacing:

looks like a run oh the mill tag axle to me

farmer:
looks like a run oh the mill tag axle to me

i’d dissagree with that statment, look at the length of the fuel tank, standard tag axle can only get a 350ltr tank (some only have a 300 with a small gap) on the drivers side and this has got a 500 on there.

Thanks for the reply guys.

Saw this Scannie again in the J24 (M1) services this morning and had a chat with the driver. John Wells is the owner/driver of this beastie. He gave me this basic history of this truck. It started life in 1988 as a 4x2 curtainsider for a local engineering firm. The firm went bust and it got sold to another engineering firm (1992) who had it re-bodied as a flat with a hiab behind the cab. A rear steer/lift axle was also added. This then got sold off in 1999 to a firm who do drilling of some sort (not for oil), where it got shortend to about the same size as that Galt tractor unit and a box body added with rear VBG coupling to tow long drilling rig trailers. In 2005 the firm brought a newer truck (Daf I think he said) and this was sold off as a cab/chassis. It was then brought in 2006 by a friend of Johns who pulls low loaders and had the chassis strenghtened and a fifth wheel added. This was then sold to John in early 2008 and now pulls tippers.

John does not wish for me to tell anyone his registration, for security reasons, so I will not disclose that to anyone. However, if you run in Leicestershire, please keep your eyes open for a red and green E registered 3 series pulling a tipper with the nameplate “Gummy” on the front. That is Johns truck.

Cheers

Andy

Hi All
Rear steer ridgids and tractors are available from Scania DAF & Iveco may be more but we have had quotes from these.
You can only go to 65 ton on them though so as we wanted 80 we had to stick witha non steer.

tribsa:
Hi All
Rear steer ridgids and tractors are available from Scania DAF & Iveco may be more but we have had quotes from these.
You can only go to 65 ton on them though so as we wanted 80 we had to stick witha non steer.

interesting when you say non steer are you still talkin a tag not double drive■■?

Saw this rear steer in Stockholm yesterday, an R500

Is this what you are onabout?

http://www.truckscenescotland.co.uk/noticeboard/news_story.php?id=83&return=home

a long time ago i worked at Don-Bur trailers and asked about “tag-steer” axles on tractor units and was told that they would not work due to the short wheelbase. evidently it looks like they were wrong.

here is one taken last year at oswestry show when new

trucksgalore.co.uk/oswest10/ … 0os219.htm