Rear steer help/advice please, urgent

Hi everyone,

I have class one a couple of years but not the most confident or experianced, I drive for a paint shop picking up and returning vehicles, just found out i have to pick up a plant trailer with rear steer tomorrow and i have heard these do not follow like a normal trailer!■■ :open_mouth: :frowning: :frowning:

Then there is the dreaded revering, will it cause me agro if i try to do this as a normal triaxle
Any advice would be most welcome

only have to do about 20mile with it, but then manouvre in a reasonably tight yard at the paint shop

Many thanks in advance

Gaz

never driven one but if i was you i would ask the people where your collecting it from and im sure they will be happy to give you the advice and all you need to know…

No problem to drive
there are two Systems.
The one doesnt matters and the second must lock when reversing.Usually they lock automatically when you apply the Reversing gear,but the Wheel needs to be straight.
did your Company not advise you when you started your Job?

You’ll be right mate, wouldn’t bother worrying about it…
If it’s not auto there’s usually a manual locking pin or air switch to lock the steering axle for reversing, sometimes need to put lights on the tractor unit.
Dead easy…

Piece of cake going forwards, you’ll go round corners and wonder how you’ve got so much room. Reversing is different though, it will come round a lot quicker, so just be aware and go slowly.

Used to pull one that didnt lock i found it had tendancy to crab but not a prob really

C-Kay:
Piece of cake going forwards, you’ll go round corners and wonder how you’ve got so much room. Reversing is different though, it will come round a lot quicker, so just be aware and go slowly.

+1 And you can get them in nice tight places very easily. So ideal for your yard.

We’ve got a Nooteboom triaxle stepframe lowloader with rear steer (also lifts)

If the trailer you are collecting is a Nooteboom have look at the nearside just behind the rear axle for a little pull valve. This controls the lift axle, assuming it’s empty pop the axle up and you’ve got a tandem with a reasonable overhang. Piece of ■■■■.

Our trailer tracks very nicely with the rear steer in operation, in fact it’s nicer to pull forwards when the axle is down. However it will only steer going forwards, when you select reverse you need the wheels to be straight so that they can lock, other wise they will snag round and scrub and work against you.

We have a switch on the dash of our unit to power the reverse lights which puts the lock mech in place so we can lock it when they are straight, then drag the trailer round one way before shunting it back. If we didn’t have the switch it would be a bit more tricky.

So best advice would be to lift the axle up if possible, if not get it in a straight line before trying to reverse. All will then be OK.

Hope this helps.

Many thanks everyone for the advice, I will take it all on board and try to enjoy the experience.

Cheers
Gaz

I do agency work and one of our clients has what they call "urban " trailers for some runs, they are less than 40ft, twin axle , with all steer, linked to the fifth wheel. ( where the V guide to the pin slot is on the rubbing plate, the trailer has a piece of its steering mechanism fitting snugly into the V.) Therefore, when you turn, the trailer axles follow… they also turn when reversing, and by 'eck, it doesn’t half come round quick, but you get used to it. good luck.

Never driven one, but seen a few people having problems when they forgot to lock it :slight_smile:

I would think when you can see the number plate on the trailer you need a bit of opposite lock :wink:

Trukkertone:
I do agency work and one of our clients has what they call "urban " trailers for some runs, they are less than 40ft, twin axle , with all steer, linked to the fifth wheel. ( where the V guide to the pin slot is on the rubbing plate, the trailer has a piece of its steering mechanism fitting snugly into the V.) Therefore, when you turn, the trailer axles follow… they also turn when reversing, and by 'eck, it doesn’t half come round quick, but you get used to it. good luck.

Sounds like our tri-axles with the ‘cheese wedge’

Done a bit of stuff recently with rear-steer artics, they back up a bit sharper than you would expect but will follow you like the dog you always wanted. Forwards, imagine youre driving a class 2 and, backwards imagine youve got a very short trailer on and you’ll be ok.

It needs a bit of getting used to but if you keep your head together youll be fine.

probably the same, not bad to manoeuvre once you get used to them…
(just like a big caravan, LOL )

ask the company your working for
they should have some knowledge of their equipment
andhow it works…

sorry i forget were in the transport game
so the companies dont believe in training
you’ll have to ■■■■ it and see