Rear Steer Advice

Got some work lined up with a 26 tn rigid. Rear steer. Never driven with the rear steer before.

I’m guessing better turning circles and so on…but any tips/things to watch out for? Ta.

Watch how quick you turn when turning tight or it will bite you as the rear end comes around quick
When empty if you lift dog axle up then it won’t be rear steer

mind the rear swing

Just be careful when turnin because it will cut in quick. If you dont like it, turn it off so back wheels are locked straight. Thats what i do with my truck. Very rarely use the rear steer

Turn off a rear steer? Do you turn the traction control off on Ferrari too? :unamused:

OP rear steer is great just takes a bit of getting used to, you just need to apply lock, then take it off part way through the turn, then re-apply again to complete.

Pace out the rear overhang, which isn’t the distance from the rear steer axle to the back of the lorry, it’s the distance from the drive axle (which is the pivot point) to the back of the lorry.

Then keep in mind that length is going to swing out opposite every time you turn tight.

OK once you get used to them like anything, but take a lots of care till you get the hang of it.

After a shift in one, you won’t want to drive a 4x2 ever again. Much more manoeuvrable

F-reds:
Do you turn the traction control off on Ferrari too? .

I would!!! :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses:

They are very handy reversing into tight spaces,narrow lanes,driveways etc.
Be wary of driving out after unloading with the tag raised though as it could catch you out,best leave it down ,as the tail swing is totally different.On more than occasion i have lowered the tag with only a couple of ton on to get into/out of awkward places.

theflyingdustman:
Just be careful when turnin because it will cut in quick. If you dont like it, turn it off so back wheels are locked straight. Thats what i do with my truck. Very rarely use the rear steer

and get through ■■■■■■■■■ of tyres.

It should turn the same as if that axle isn’t there. If you got a couple of wheels off a trolley and stuck the to the bottom of the bumper on your car, would it turn and different?