rear lift axle trailers

Hi
The company that I work for has recently acquired Don Bur, SDC and Cartwright tri axle rear lift axle trailers. The axles are slightly more forward than our normal tandem trailers, this is to allow for the fitment of an underslung tail lift. Since we have had them we have had 6 accidents where the rear of the trailer has swung out and caused damage to property and vehicles. I was wondering if anyone else has had the same problem. Due to the nature of the businesses we do not cary much weight, therefore the axle remains in the raised possition when driving, this along with the axles being further forward seem to change the pivot point when turning. We have been advising drivers that when making tight turns, to take a lesser angle of approach than they would with a tandem trailer.has anyone had the same problem and would the advice given be correct. The manufacturers dont seem to have any information on this issue, so any comments and sugestions are most welcom.

Yellowninja:
Hi
The company that I work for has recently acquired Don Bur, SDC and Cartwright tri axle rear lift axle trailers. The axles are slightly more forward than our normal tandem trailers, this is to allow for the fitment of an underslung tail lift. Since we have had them we have had 6 accidents where the rear of the trailer has swung out and caused damage to property and vehicles. I was wondering if anyone else has had the same problem. Due to the nature of the businesses we do not cary much weight, therefore the axle remains in the raised possition when driving, this along with the axles being further forward seem to change the pivot point when turning. We have been advising drivers that when making tight turns, to take a lesser angle of approach than they would with a tandem trailer.has anyone had the same problem and would the advice given be correct. The manufacturers dont seem to have any information on this issue, so any comments and sugestions are most welcom.

It not a manufacturer problem it,s a driving style problem, slow down and if unsure that your clear to turn then get out and check or ask someone to watch you in or out.

It’s called “tail end swing” normally associated with big rigids, but not unheard of in an artic as you have found out.
I’m on an 8x2 and if I’ve got a 30ft container or worse still a 32ftx10ft Cabin on, the tail end swing tends to keeps you very focused.
As Andy says slow down leave plenty space on the opposite side to where your turning and don’t be afraid to get out and look.

Hang on, let me see if I’ve understood this.

Your company have acquired trailers that are over specced for the job, unrequired extra lifting axle so you are dragging around more weight than you need to and using more fuel on each run than you need to. Your drivers seem incapable of adapting to and driving vehicles that are a little different to what they have previously driven; what do they do if they change their car and get something with a different wheelbase, are they hitting things then or mounting kerbs going round corners?

And yet you think it might be a manufacturers issue? :open_mouth: :unamused:

Now come on, Mr H!! This is the run of the mill type driver that has infiltrated the industry these days. It would never dawn on them that it could possibly be driver error!!
Thank ■■■■ I have retired.

No I dont think it’s a manufacturer issue, I along with you think it’s a driving style issue. For years our drivers have used tandem trailers and I think they just need to adapt to the change in trailer type and adjust their driving accordingly. Unfortunately some drivers have adapted and some have’nt, hence the accidents.
Again, I agree with you that over specked vehicles not needed for the job we do. But we have the same tri axle trailers with fixed rear axle and we dont have any problems with them.
I am just looking to see if other drivers have had the same problem and if so, was there any guidence out there to give to our drivers.
So the advice seems to be obvious, adjust their driving style and be more cautious when turning?

Coffeeholic:
Hang on, let me see if I’ve understood this.

Your company have acquired trailers that are over specced for the job, unrequired extra lifting axle so you are dragging around more weight than you need to and using more fuel on each run than you need to. Your drivers seem incapable of adapting to and driving vehicles that are a little different to what they have previously driven; what do they do if they change their car and get something with a different wheelbase, are they hitting things then or mounting kerbs going round corners?

And yet you think it might be a manufacturers issue? :open_mouth: :unamused:

Does anyone still use those trailers like White Arrow used to have? The ones with a tandem axle right at the back and no overhang whatsoever. Following an inexperienced driver was always a buttock clenching experience as they bounced over kerbs and grazed gateposts.

use to have the lift axels dotn think they make that much difference maybe just a lack of care/attention and complacency.

no different to a car transporter at the front end

Santa:
Does anyone still use those trailers like White Arrow used to have? The ones with a tandem axle right at the back and no overhang whatsoever. Following an inexperienced driver was always a buttock clenching experience as they bounced over kerbs and grazed gateposts.

Yes, White Arrow, (now known as Yodel)

As advice to your drivers, maybe just need to be more aware of the over hang, and the change in pivot point of the axles, especially until they get used to them. I’m wondering why, if the axle are further forward, the company didn’t spec a lifting front axle instead?

war1974:
use to have the lift axels dotn think they make that much difference maybe just a lack of care/attention and complacency.

Used to deliver pre-stressed concrete to building sites, even with a 30ft trailer some were proper tight, and lifting an axle to get in or leaving it down when empty until you were off site could make a lot of difference to the ease of maneuvering.

Yellowninja:
Hi

The manufacturer won’t have any information on the issue because you’re ringing the wrong number. The number you want is HMRC or your payroll department to get P45s issued to the useless ■■■■ drivers.

Are lift axles on trailers to save tyres or to put more weight on the other wheels?

worst trailers i have had is the single axle really short co-op things.

Try reversing a little luggage trailer behind a big estate car from the kerb up a steep drive.

Yellowninja:
No I dont think it’s a manufacturer issue, I along with you think it’s a driving style issue. For years our drivers have used tandem trailers and I think they just need to adapt to the change in trailer type and adjust their driving accordingly. Unfortunately some drivers have adapted and some have’nt, hence the accidents.
Again, I agree with you that over specked vehicles not needed for the job we do. But we have the same tri axle trailers with fixed rear axle and we dont have any problems with them.
I am just looking to see if other drivers have had the same problem and if so, was there any guidence out there to give to our drivers.
So the advice seems to be obvious, adjust their driving style and be more cautious when turning

Yes, it may be worth considering getting a driver trainer in for a day in the yard and give them pointers on how to operate the new equipment.

Santa:
Try reversing a little luggage trailer behind a big estate car from the kerb up a steep drive.

:laughing: Yep, nigh on impossible. Easier just to get out, disconnect it and push it yourself. :laughing:

Left hand down!:

Santa:

:laughing: Yep, nigh on impossible. Easier just to get out, disconnect it and push it yourself. :laughing:

Like tryin to reverse car trailer using only the mirrors lol