Real life reversing after test

Hi everyone, just looking for some advice! I passed my class 1 back at end of July and since then I’ve only driven on road with an artic once (thanks to my brother!)
Driving is the easy part, taking my time, using all the road etc! Its the reversing I am trying to master!

My 1st time out on road I went to an RDC to deliver, I think I done ok going onto the bay there and when I got back to the depot!

I am in work today and have the chance to play about in the yard and practice reversing.

Is this the best help I can get for myself? Other than being with a driver to guide me, to master the reversing?

Thanks Rich

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

practise makes perfect :slight_smile: just keep at it!

There is no substitute for practice.

Over time it will become easier.

Set up prior to reverse is the key, give yourself as much space as you possibly can and get the truck as straight as you can before you reverse. I say straight, what I mean is as straight into the bay as you can, not truck and trailer in line.

On a triple axle trailer the trailer will pivot on the middle axle. So use that as your marker.

Blindside reversing is a pain in the a$$. Some are good at it, other not so good. I’m in the not so good bracket. So I’ll always try and turn the truck round so I can reverse from the driver’s side. Even if it means doing a 180 in the yard.

Take your time and if needs be ask someone to guide you in. Most drivers will happily oblige. If you are on your own then don’t worry about getting out the cab several times to check you are clear. One thing I always tell myself is: If you think you are close to something and have a doubt if you’re going to hit something, get out and check. I’ve reversed numerous times and had the feeling I’m taking a risk, usually because I am, and when I haven’t checked I’m clear I’ve hit stuff.

If it takes you 10 shunts to get in, then so be it. 10 Shunts is less embarrassing than hitting the truck by the side of you.

Take your time and get to know the kit you are driving. Volvo’s are great for reversing IMO, because they have a great gearbox. Scanias are not so good IMO, because the gearbox is a bit jerky. Same as MAN, Iveco and Merc (IMO). If your truck has crawler option, use it.

Check your mirrors all the time. Things will appear that you didn’t see a few seconds earlier.

Finally, don’t overthink the steering. I used to find when I thought about which way to turn the wheel it would usually be wrong. It becomes second nature after a while and you just do it from muscle memory.

Don’t panic Captain Mainwaring!!

[emoji1312][emoji1312][emoji1312] thank you guys!! Appreciate the advice goshow!

I’ve done a couple reverses in work this morning, bout 10 mins each! Just taking my time and trying not to fluff it! Its only mercs we use in work but as a I said above when I went to an RDC last week it was a volvo (58 reg) i used and tbh I reveresed ok using that!

Just going to keep practising though

Best thing to do is find some space in the yard i did when i first started.Get 2 cones and 2 brushes put them in the cones and practise from your good side and blind side and it will come to you in no time.

Colin_scottish:
Best thing to do is find some space in the yard i did when i first started.Get 2 cones and 2 brushes put them in the cones and practise from your good side and blind side and it will come to you in no time.

Thanks Colin! Space wise there is plenty at the weekends!

Just wish they would make it part of the learning and test to reverse onto a bsy like u would do every day in the outside world! And not just a parallel park

Good advice there, just to add a couple of things:

• use all the space available, don’t be shy about it, it’d be a shame to waste it
  • until you get the ‘feel’ of the artic reverse and instinct kicks in, find a technique to think through which way the trailer goes when you steer - mine was simply to think which way the BOTTOM of the steering wheel is going, and that tells you where the trailer is going

Get the initial position right and the rest is a breeze. Practice, practice and more practice is the best (and only?) way to really learn the art. It sounds like you’re going about it exactly the right way, so good luck to you!

ORC:
Good advice there, just to add a couple of things:

• use all the space available, don’t be shy about it, it’d be a shame to waste it
  • until you get the ‘feel’ of the artic reverse and instinct kicks in, find a technique to think through which way the trailer goes when you steer - mine was simply to think which way the BOTTOM of the steering wheel is going, and that tells you where the trailer is going

Get the initial position right and the rest is a breeze. Practice, practice and more practice is the best (and only?) way to really learn the art. It sounds like you’re going about it exactly the right way, so good luck to you!

Thanks ORC!

When I’m in work tomorrow I will try get my position right before I reverse! I’m taking on board what you say about the steering!