Ready mix concrete lorry

will get training when i start next week in the operation of it but would like some tips prior to starting drove lorry today 05 seddon atkinson it drove well

Did it for a while a few years ago. Bit like tipper driving, was paid by the load/distance but obviously not a lot of distance travelled. Bit messy at times & you have to make sure you follow rules about washing out the drum after delivery - some sites were very fussy & woe betide anyone leaving concrete deposits in the wrong place. Obviously new building sites are a big customer & you have to be careful you don’t get bogged down - never trust the guy who says ‘the gound’s solid as a rock’ - check for yourself or make sure they have a big enough bit of plant to drag you out. Biggest pain was making sure the batcher - the guy who essentially loaded you - didn’t load the mix in the wrong order - if he did you’d get a build-up over time which meant (a) you couldn’t carry a full load & (b) you eventually had to get in the drum with a jack-hammer to chip it out - fond memories!! Eventually gave up 'cos I was driving a subbies second wagon & he couldn’t organise the work properly so you need to make sure whoever you’re driving for knows what they’re doing business-wise.

thank you for info its firms own lorry and batcher is on their own site so that should be ok just dont fancy climbing into drum so will be washing out thoroughly

Dont forget to acid it aswell, this can vary as to how often it needs to be done.

Just get the batcher to put plent of water into the drum at the end of the evening to give it a good clean out.

Make sure your water tanks are full, you will have to refill them every time you reload, if you need to add more water onsite and your tanks are empty you run a risk of them turning you away if you cant get the concrete to the right slump.

make sure you wash the back end, inside the drum and wheels everytime before you leave a building site, not for to long, just a minute or two will be long enough.

Plenty of good advice above… I’ll just add this.

“The Batcher” is a strange individual who is bred in an, as yet, undiscovered part of the globe where all traces of humanity are removed at birth & replaced by sarcasm, ■■■■■■, arrogance & general “■■■■■■■■■■■■■■

As “The Batcher” is the ultimate power in any concrete plant & can make your working day a living hell (especially if paid by the load) there are a few rules to follow.

1. Never moan about any job you are given, even if you have been to it seven times that day & know it’s crap & Freddie Favourite gets all the cream work. It’s a test to see if you react :wink:

2. Never confront a Batcher about the allocation of work (see rule 1). Failure to abide by this means you will then be guarenteed all the ■■■■ for ever & ever amen.

3. If something goes wrong it’s your fault If a load is rejected on site for any reason you have done something wrong. Batchers never make mistakes & accusing them of such… see rule 2

4. Don’t ask the Batcher about his family life. He hasn’t got one! This will annoy him & leads to rule 2

If you need any more help feel free to ask :laughing:

brilliant replies thank you for help and advice so keep the batcher sweet i hope he is a good guy :smiley: you can always hope :open_mouth:

zaksdad:
so keep the batcher sweet

Well, there are limits :wink:

Don’t turn up at a site two minutes before the builders merchants lorry does.

That’s my advice. :wink:

Andyroo:

Better that than 2 minutes after!

Melchett:

Andyroo:

Better that than 2 minutes after!

Depends which lorry you’re driving!

:laughing:

Don’t turn up at a site two minutes before the builders merchants lorry does

and also , leave loads of space at the plant for the magnificent tanker drivers :wink:

Our pipe is only 4’’ wide so we need a good aim to get the trailer on it!! :laughing: :laughing:

Keep out of the way of all tipper drivers, if you are blocking the site whilst unloading, immediately stop what you are doing, pull your vehicle out the way and allow the tipper to pass (repeat on exit!). :wink: :smiley:

I’ve only driven them occasionally but just made sure I knew which way the drum should be turning as you are going along - dropping concrete as you go along the road will cause you a lot of problems. I’m not sure if I remember it rightly but I think, when looking in your nearside mirror the drum should be turning down to the curb. :confused:

just shows how green iam didnt know drum would rotate both ways thanks for all tips will get trained but an idea before you start will help been pcv for 25 years did class 2 last august so starting a new chapter so iwill be tipping the load instead of the load tipping me you know what i mean hope no tax men read last part i am reading and taking in your replies and i am very grateful

lol, some good replys there, Yes make sure you have the drum turning the right way :laughing:

The acid part is the worst, i hate it but it has to be done.
once you have done that, apply some reo finish 299 onto various parts of the truck, keeps it looking clean and the concrete cant stick to the mixers as much.

Also expect to be on some jobs for quite a while, it dont happen all the time though.

I enjoy going to the pump jobs as you dont get all the blokes standing at the back end watching you lol.
curbing is another good job,

Motorway work is usually slow going, so have plenty of sandwiches and a flask of coffee ready, if you know your going on them jobs.

If you are carrying semi dry (under 50 slump) don’t drive with the barrel on rotate as it will knock the bearings out on the barrel

Be carefull with the acid its wicked stuff burns through concrete so imagine what it would do to your eyes!!!

Mr Bean:
If you are carrying semi dry (under 50 slump) don’t drive with the barrel on rotate as it will knock the bearings out on the barrel

Never heard that before :open_mouth: The only problem I know of with semi-dry is it tends to climb up the drivers side of the barrel when it’s turning, making a top heavy load more top heavy especially on left hand bends… they can fall over!

shade:
and also , leave loads of space at the plant for the magnificent tanker drivers :wink:

Our pipe is only 4’’ wide so we need a good aim to get the trailer on it!! :laughing: :laughing:

Ill second that :wink: :wink: :wink:

another question what is reo finish 299 tried google but it comes up with a footballer called reo coker i take it its a kind of polish/ acid sorry if its a dumb question :blush: your replies are being a great help to me i thank you

Acid is exactly what it is Hydrocloric acid put some on the concrete splash on the back of the motor and watch it fizz and desolve always wear gloves and eye protection even little drops or splashes burn the skin, but don’t be scared of it, it’s not that bad :wink:

I don’t think this has been said, don’t forget to drain the water system if there is going to be a frost as everything freezes and you can’t add water too your load or wash down, you also run the danger of breaking the shear gear in the water pump

an old trick is to remove the shear gear which will be in two halfes and replace with a new one then super glue the sheared one back together which then gives you a spare, this is also stronger than new ones

If the truck is already caked in concrete then dont bother applying the reo finish as its pointless, just acid it. Reo Finish 299 is just a very fine oil, dont worry about where to get it from, the plant might have it or your boss might be able to get you some.

Not many people do it, but just spray it on the shoots, back of the drum, do it everytime after you have cleaned it with the acid. It does work!! just so as then the concrete cant stick to the back end as much, makes it easier to clean off aswell.

Water down the acid slightly, you can do it more so if you use the oil on the back end.

Agree, always wear eye protection!