Re; the petrol tanker topic

i have also noticed while up and down our roads that every tankers has the side/head lights on even in the broad day light and sun, is this a special law or just a safety feature??

There are no legal requirements as far as I know. It’ll be down the the instructions of individual companies, some will see it as a safety measure. Certainly our firm (chemical transport, but not petrol) doesn’t require the drivers to use lights during daytime.

plannerman:
There are no legal requirements as far as I know. It’ll be down the the instructions of individual companies, some will see it as a safety measure. Certainly our firm (chemical transport, but not petrol) doesn’t require the drivers to use lights during daytime.

I’d go with it being a company policy too plannerman. :smiley:
I’ve seen no mention of a “lights on” rule in the Regs.:grimacing:

it’s company policy for us at Hoyer on the Shell contract to have our lights on at all times! apart from when loading / unloading when all electrics have been turned off via master switch.

I actually remember a nasty road accident happening in Wrexham when I was much younger. The local bus company were experimenting with a policy of always having dipped headlights on - one day a car pulled out from a side turning right into the path of a bus. Apparently the bus had gone over some kind of a bump, and the car driver had thought he was being flashed out.

adr rules are that tankers have marker lights on when battery isolator is switched on

cj47:
adr rules are that tankers have marker lights on when battery isolator is switched on

Hi cj47, WELCOME:g:

Whereabouts in ADR does it say that please?

dieseldave:

cj47:

Surely that’s wrong, won’t the lights go OUT when the master switch is off, cutting the electrical supply will not turn lights on or do the laws of physics not apply to ADR :question:

newmercman:
Surely that’s wrong, won’t the lights go OUT when the master switch is off, cutting the electrical supply will not turn lights on or do the laws of physics not apply to ADR :question:

He said,"adr rules are that tankers have marker lights on when battery isolator is switched on" ,is this not the same thing■■?

Ok I’ll give you that :blush:

What I mean is ‘when the battery is isolated’ therefore emmiting no current, the marker lights should go out too, is that better :wink:

Speaking of petrol/chemical tankers,In Aus the conditions for truckers are so bad,I can paste the ad if you want, get this;
12 months rigid experience?in 2 weeks you will be driving a petrol tanker in a SEMI!!!DG licence covered as well.
That is SCAREY but sadly true.

newmercman:

dieseldave:

cj47:

the light only aply to pet reg trucks or fire screened trucks not adr trucks. the lights go off so the loader knows the master switch is off

the flying foden:

newmercman:

dieseldave:

cj47:

the light only aply to pet reg trucks or fire screened trucks not adr trucks. the lights go off so the loader knows the master switch is off

That’s what i meant, just got confused with whether the switch is on or off, if you switch it on it turns it off or if you switch it off it turns it off or if you switch…

So you dont need a fire screen on an ADR truck then?

Wheel Nut:

dont think that was what isaid ?

mark h:
i have also noticed while up and down our roads that every tankers has the side/head lights on even in the broad day light and sun, is this a special law or just a safety feature??

it yoused to be pet regs toplights on
but a lot of good tanker companys now have this
pc ■■■■ :cry:

the flying foden:

Wheel Nut:

dont think that was what isaid ?

No you didnt, I just picked up on it to emphasise that there is a massive difference between ADR and “Pet Regs”!

The fuel companies have devised a safe loading pass between themselves, this is in addittion to the CDG regulations by road. ADR will cover the majority of general chemicals and I bet Dave will be watching this post.

Have a read of the Safe Loading Pass Scheme

Here

The old petroleum regulations were written in Hebrew and have been massively simplified and updated, ADR is updated too but the refinery have their own requirements.

Even the ADR regulations are not enough for the major oil producers. Dont you remember trying to load fuel in Total Le Havre without a spark arrester? or in Shell without a dry break coupler?

Wheel Nut:
…there is a massive difference between ADR and “Pet Regs”!

Absolutely spot-on Wheel Nut That’s still the case today. :wink:

Wheel Nut:
The fuel companies have devised a safe loading pass between themselves, this is in addittion to the CDG regulations by road. ADR will cover the majority of general chemicals and I bet Dave will be watching this post.

Absolutely spot-on again Wheel Nut I am watching this topic.:grimacing:

ADR does indeed have requirements for general chemicals, but now there’s also their version of “Pet Regs” too.
CDG 2007 is the current UK Regs, which tells us which bits of ADR that the UK ignores for domestic traffic.
There is also the UK’s safe loading pass scheme as you said.

Wheel Nut:
The old petroleum regulations were written in Hebrew and have been massively simplified and updated, ADR is updated too but the refinery have their own requirements.

The old “Hebrew” ( :laughing: ) regs are still in force and are called “The Petroleum (Consolidation) Act 1928”:shock: Just notice the date. :open_mouth:
For the purists, that Act came fully into force on 04/08/1928, so it stands to sense that it’s been modified a bit since.:grimacing:

What most people forget is that the ADR regulations are for international road transport. Most countries have their own version of Regs for national use and the UK is no exception to this. As another example, Germany has its own Regs too, which are called “Gefahrgutverordnung Strassen und Schienen,” (GGVSE) which means dangerous goods Regulations for road and rail.

The whole idea behind ADR is that IF YOU ARE ON AN INTERNATIONAL JOURNEY, you must comply with ADR as a minimum. If you don’t, then you get busted for the breach of the equivalent national Reg, since you then lose the “protection” given to you by ADR. One of the guys, robB39, found this out when he got checked in Germany in THIS POST. I’ve translated the paperwork that informed Rob of the problem about two-thirds of the way down the post.

The allegation was that Rob had not complied with ADR 7.5.7, so the Germans fined him under §9 and §10 of GGVSE.

For UK use, here’s a bitumen taker, which is correctly marked:

On an international journey under ADR, the same stuff must be marked like this French tanker:

ADR also marks the front differently to us too. Here’s the front of the French tanker:

Just so that there’s no confusion, WHEN ADR applies, it applies door-to-door.
That saves drivers messing about at Dover changing their marker boards.:grimacing:
There’s no “mix and match” between the UK Regs and ADR, you’re either obeying one or the other.

dieseldave:

cj47:

:wink: Have you found it yet :question:

On vehicles carrying flammables leaving the lights on has something to do with the discharging of static electric, as static sparks are unseen but can be explosive in the right conditions