RE: the Fleets gone topic,

Despite trying to keep it open with a warning about speculation and rumour this was ignored, so it has been removed for the second time , please read the rules about posting gossip and rumour.

Post verifiable information ( My mate told me is not verifiable) or PM me with a request that our journalists do some research , if you do post such rumours they will be deleted

Probably the members who posted on these topics are the most well-informed about what is happening in their area, and maybe TruckNet should be at the leading edge when news like this breaks, and local members post local news, rather than awaiting a chance to follow it?

Trouble is Harry a couiple years ago someone posted a rumour they heard, A well known company has gone bust, and that companies suppliers and customers found out via these forums that they had gone bust, and stopped supplying /looked elsewhere for their transport needs, It led to some difficulties for that company, and guess what? if that rumour isnt true who is liable for publishing it? and for the losses they take?

After a expensive exchange of lawyers letters, in that case the company were good enough to be happy with the removal of the rumour, but they could have tried to recoup all and any lost costs of us.

Why? because two years on they are still trading very well and have recently posted a yearly profit of over a 1/4 million pounds.

Forums are not a chat between drivers, it is published, and if you publish you are bound by the laws that exist- libel and defamation. I agree wholeheartedly that the law as it stands refering to forums is an ■■■, but it is all there is.

To clarify, as the law stands at the moment, If some thing untrue is posted, and the forum owner is aware of the posting, both are liable, the poster and the forum owner. The forum owners only defence in law is that as they when were made aware/ read the post of the post they removed it until they couild verify the facts.

We tread a very fine line here, we try to let you guys chat and via Private message pass on rumours and speculation but the simple fact of the matter is we cannot afford to pay out each month £100’s on legal costs for what you guys see as flippant remarks- and it has come to that recently.

All we ask is if you hear a rumour, let us know via PM and let us look into it, if it has any basis then we will let you post it.

Oh and I forgot to mention one small point, in the stupid laws we have to operate with at the moment
If you say on Tuesday xxxx had gone bust, but they dont go into recievership till Wednesday , on Tuesday they were a solvent company in law. and guess who is liable? it doesnt matter that they went bust- at the time the message was posted they were not bust, and as the stupid laws are at the moment that is all that couints

That is why we cannot and do not allow rumours, I am willing to allow you to post rumours as long as you Paypal me a few hundred quid to cover our expeneses ( the beer fund needs topping up)

Why delete the whole thread though? Ellis Morgan going under is confirmed. OK, I did post questionable information but as I am living the nightmare of having no work and know full well the situation in South Wales, its only a matter of time before we see more bad news.

As posted on our sister forum RoadTransport.com

Newport firm Ellis Morgan forced to close

21 January 2010

Two haulage firms have been left reeling by the closure of packaging firm Western Corrugated, while a third has had to close after 180 years in business.

Western, with plants in Cwmbran and Wolverhampton, went into administration on 4 January with KPMG appointed to handle its closure.

Hardest hit is Rogerstone, Gwent, operator Ellis Morgan, which has been in business since 1820. It has been forced to close as a result of the bad debt, believed to be a six-figure sum, caused by Western’s failure. Ellis Morgan’s directors declined to comment.

The other two firms affected are Newport, Gwent haulier JP Bull Transport, which was working from the Cwmbran site and Padiham, Lancs operator Fagan & Whalley, which handled traffic from Western’s Wolverhampton factory.

A spokesman for JP Bull tells Roadtransport.com the company had been working for Western since April 2009 and is now owed approximately £165,000, “which the administrator said we are unlikely to see a penny of”.

As a result of the failure, JP Bull is winding down its Cwmbran operation and has made 12 redundancies. Its Chepstow and Monmouth depots are unaffected.

The spokesman adds: "The contract accounted for 25% of our turnover so it will be hard without it, but there was nothing wrong with our operations so we could not have done any more.

“It’s a shame we will suffer a loss because of another company going bust.”

Stephen Fagan, commercial director at Fagan & Whalley, says the Western Corrugated business accounted for 15% of its turnover. “As of late the contract was becoming quite a worry. Employees are now my main concern because there will be a lot of redundancies,” he says.

Fagan declined to reveal how much the company was owed from Western’s failure, but it is likely to be similar to the debts experienced by the other hauliers.

The move to administration also saw 132 of Western’s employees made redundant.

Joanna Bourke
Email at joanna.bourke@rbi.co.uk