Re satnav use and expectation

Changed job for the new year and I’m now going new places so have been going through all the old threads on satnav and seeing the comments . Now the reason I’m posting this is because my satnav is a 4yr old Chinese truck satnav which means it doesn’t pick up new roads or new junctions , it doesn’t do live traffic , the speed limits are not always accurate but it does give me my final destination and a route avoiding low bridges and weight limits .
I keep looking at these threads and wondering do I update or stick with what I’ve got , which at the moment means my satnav aids me to get where I’m going but before I set off I look at the overview to get in my head the major roads and places to be looking out for on the signs on my route . While driving yes I’m looking at the satnav but I’m also reading all the road signs to make sure I’m going the right way and observing the speed limit etc .i do have a proper truck atlas in my bag for emergencies (albeit a couple of years out of date) and I also have the option of google maps on the phone.
My point being what is wrong with and older cheaper satnav when you’ve checked your route and use the road signs while driving rather than relying purely on the satnav .
I apologise for the can of worms but as we are now in a generation where technology is so relied upon what is wrong with using common sense and reading the road .

Gillberry:
Changed job for the new year and I’m now going new places so have been going through all the old threads on satnav and seeing the comments . Now the reason I’m posting this is because my satnav is a 4yr old Chinese truck satnav which means it doesn’t pick up new roads or new junctions , it doesn’t do live traffic , the speed limits are not always accurate but it does give me my final destination and a route avoiding low bridges and weight limits .
I keep looking at these threads and wondering do I update or stick with what I’ve got , which at the moment means my satnav aids me to get where I’m going but before I set off I look at the overview to get in my head the major roads and places to be looking out for on the signs on my route . While driving yes I’m looking at the satnav but I’m also reading all the road signs to make sure I’m going the right way and observing the speed limit etc .i do have a proper truck atlas in my bag for emergencies (albeit a couple of years out of date) and I also have the option of google maps on the phone.
My point being what is wrong with and older cheaper satnav when you’ve checked your route and use the road signs while driving rather than relying purely on the satnav .
I apologise for the can of worms but as we are now in a generation where technology is so relied upon what is wrong with using common sense and reading the road .

Whats the question

youve answered your own questions.
any old out of date car satnav coupled with a brain,intuition and a tad of common sense is all thats required.
if it says turn right 100 yards ahead at the crossroads and theres a new roundabout there,then its not rocket science to work out where your going,though apparantly thats wrong according to some of the questions on here…crack on drive and keep your money till the chinky one melts.

^^^ all that needs to be said.

You do not need to spend a modest week’s take home wage on an electronic toy because your old one, which was fine 22 days ago is now considered slightly out of date.

If you want live traffic, get another data plan and have google maps on, live traffic on satnavs isn’t up to google traffic standards.

Stick.with what you have along with a map.
And if worst happens use Google maps.
And.no guarantee a new chinese model will include upto date info anyway.
I use a navman that’s about 10 years old does fine for me
Never really got lost or stuck

A working pair of eyeballs and a dose of common sense will normally get you to your destination safely. A sat nav is an aid, nothing more.

I only.use my sat nav for last few miles of my trip.

I used to.leave it running all.the time. But on long trips I found I was for ever looking at it and thinking god.only.done 20 miles.another 100 to go.amd just seems.make the day drag on n seem longer.

So.now I look at where am.going can.more less get to the.right area unaided. Then use sat nav for last few miles.
Listen to radio for traffic .
And all good and drive seems to.go quicker

Thanks for all the replies, as the consensus says carry on .
I just wondered whether it was me doing something wrong and in today’s age did I need an all singing all dancing toy . It appears reading the road and using your common sense is still a good way of driving :smiley: :smiley:

last few miles suffices for mostly all of uk and ireland,though abroad i usually have it running even when i know where im going.
dont know why,just habit.
there is of course the requirement to switch it on so you can argue with the mealy mouthed english voiced ■■■■■ telling you where to turn and contradicting her.
something similar to waiting on the o2 customer service and arguing with the smarmy ■■■■■ on the menu systems,and almost as good for stress relief as giving the muslim telephone scammers some extreme verbal abuse when they call as its not as if they can report you to anyone for it when the only reason they call you is to try and steal from you if your gullible.