RE: recovery work

hi all,

wondering what recovery work is like and if anyone as ever worked or if anyone works for Mansfield, been sent an email today to see if I was interested for an interview on nights.

cheers

Do a search for Mansfield mate, there’s been a few posts about them, some fair comments, lots of negative ones. Having said that don’t let the interweb sway you, go for the interview, see what you reckon. Only you can make your mind up.

You will either love it or hate it. Long hours, hard graft and not the best money around. That said, so long as you’re not a complete bellend you will always have a job. People will keep on crashing and breaking down no matter how far technology advances.

I have said on here before that I think it is the best job in the world. You meet some great people, 99% of whom are really glad to see you. You will see some nice motors and get into some interesting situations.

You need to enjoy the job as there has to be some motive other than financial for lying on your back, in the snow, on Christmas eve.

You will not always thanked and some customers can be ignorant ■■■■■■■. But most will sit and chat for hours if you have a long trip. You will see the whites of the eyes of other road users as they hoon past, six inches from your backside, at seventy miles an hour. You will get wet, cold, dirty and covered in various substances ranging from atf through diesel to animal excrement. You will need to get used to having nicks, cuts, bruises and burns.

Hope that helps. Go for it, you may end up doing it for the next fourty years.

If you take to it it’s in your blood forever :smiley:

Pwyll:
You will either love it or hate it. Long hours, hard graft and not the best money around. That said, so long as you’re not a complete bellend you will always have a job. People will keep on crashing and breaking down no matter how far technology advances.

I have said on here before that I think it is the best job in the world. You meet some great people, 99% of whom are really glad to see you. You will see some nice motors and get into some interesting situations.

You need to enjoy the job as there has to be some motive other than financial for lying on your back, in the snow, on Christmas eve.

You will not always thanked and some customers can be ignorant [zb]. But most will sit and chat for hours if you have a long trip. You will see the whites of the eyes of other road users as they hoon past, six inches from your backside, at seventy miles an hour. You will get wet, cold, dirty and covered in various substances ranging from atf through diesel to animal excrement. You will need to get used to having nicks, cuts, bruises and burns.

Hope that helps. Go for it, you may end up doing it for the next fourty years.

Cheers for that, I take it you are in recovery then :smiley:

neversweat1:
If you take to it it’s in your blood forever :smiley:

Hmmm, I’m not so sure tbh. I did a few years of it and as I’m naturally a cowboy and corner cutter with scant regard for H&S it was right up my street. The last bastion of “just do what you need to do to get the job done”, and as such It appealed immensely and if the truth be out I absolutely loved it. However, and it’s a big however, not a single day off in two years, 36 hour shifts the norm, no alcohol at all (in my case anyway), getting in at 3am after 20 hours out and 5 minutes later getting the call for another job kind of ■■■■■■ me off and forced me back into the regulated world of tachographs.

Did I enjoy it? Hell yeah. Would I go back? Not a cat in Hells chance would I.

Hi Batesy

Yes mate, I work for Mansfield.

The job varies according to which depot you are at.
Recovery is a Marmite job - you will love it or hate it.
Mansfield are certainly not the worst recovery firm to work for.
There are a few brand new trucks appearing now they have Bidvest as the majority shareholder.

Not everyone’s cup of tea but it seems to suit me right now.

PM me if you have specific questions.

Alan

I worked for them for 4 years and loved the job! That said you need to be aware of a few things.
You will not get a dedicated vehicle, so kit goes missing and trucks get in a mess. If you are a clean and polish sort of bloke then it will drive you mad!
You will work every type of anti social shift known to man! Days, nights, bank holidays, weekends. Christmas day , New Year and Easter are no exception! It really is a 24/7 operation.
The depot you ate based at makes a big difference. If you have a good depot manager who will stand up for you against the controllers it helps.
Heavy recovery is not always the glory job it is made out to be! 90% of your time is spent doing lift and shift jobs. As with all companies they have their blue eyes boys who usually get the big jobs and you will be used to cover their day to day stuff.
There was a big issue, not just with Mansfields, regarding drivers hours and tachos. Whatever they tell you, you are not exempt! This was where I dis agreed and chose to leave.
I still know some people there, but not many as staff turnover is extremely high! Make sure it’s a full time contract and not just for the upcoming busy summer season. When it goes quiet hours drop and so do wages. If you are willing to work the hours, make yourself indispensable! That way when it’s time to lose some staff you aren’t on the list.
Anything else I can help you with just PM me. And yes, if circumstances allowed, I would go back!

As has already been said, dont expect regular start/finish times. Do expect not to have weekends off, or a social life.
As a previous employee of mansfields, I’ll also add keep a very close eye on the hours you do, and how many you actually get paid for. Dont use their mobile phone for any reason or you can expect a £500 deduction from your wages.
Staff turnover is very high, most staff finish without giving notice on the day the wages go in the bank.
Its a dangerous, dirty job, with no glory (whatever the heavy recovery guys say) Last time I spoke to anyone I knew on there, wages were still at £8.50 p/h for a slidebed driver. (hadnt changed in the last 5 years) Heavy recovery guys got an extra £1 an hour. No time and half, its flat rate all the way through.
I wouldn’t go back for all the tea in china.
Another thing to consider, not sure what area you are, but they have just finished a few guys in Stoke due to lack of work.