Re info Albion Reiver

Hi Cookie,
I drove an Albion Reiver with a lad-cab in 1962, it had a Leyland 370 engine and 6 speed geerbox, double drive axle with diff lock and was capable of doing 60mph. Its gross weight was 20 tons, and could carry 14 tons.
I have attached photo of a model of Robsons of Carlisle Reiver, it’s fleet no AD 184, Reg RHH 413. This model is the same as the vehicle I drove. (It’s actual name was Border Reiver)
Cheers Tony

DSCF1321.JPG

Very, very nice. Do you mind if I use this photo in my article?

Hi Cookie
Help yourself to the photo,glad you like it.It was my first attempt at adding a photo,it should have been on your
site ,hope to get it right next time.
Cheers Tony.

Cookie, I’m not sure if you have all the info you need now but I can add this. This is for a Reiver similar to the Robson model above, it is designated a Reiver RE27
(6 x 2) Engine Leyland 0.400 diesel fuel injection, 6 cylinders, Cubic Capacity 6.54 litres. Brake Horse Power 125. Overall lengths either 22ft 2 3/4 in (AT),
27ft 2 1/4in (AN), 29ft 5in (AL). Overall width 7ft 5 1/2 in, Height to top of cab 8ft 7 1/4 in, Turning Circle 64ft, 58ft or 50ft depending on length. Wheelbase 12ft 2in (AT), 15ft 0in (AN), 16ft 8 3/4 in (AL). Track 6ft 3 1/2 in (Front), 5ft 8 1/2 in (Rear). Fuel tank capacity 50 gallons (AN, AL), 37 gallons (AT).
Gross weight 15 1/2 Tons. Wheel size 10.00 x 20.
From the information I have, the Reiver and Super Reiver had a few various designations depending on lengths and drive axles, these being;
REIVER RE27AN, RE27AL, RE27AT (Haulage chassis 6 x 2).
SUPER REIVER RE29N, RE29L (Haulage chassis), RE29T (Tipper chassis) (6 x 4). RE31N, RE31L (Haulage chassis 6 x 2) LAD cabbed models,
SUPER REIVER ‘20’ (Ergomatic cab 6 x 4) RE33N, RE33L (Haulage chassis), RE33T (Tipper chassis), (Ergomatic cab 6 x 2) RE35N, RE35L (Haulage chassis ).

As you can see a variation of models available mid to late Sixties and of course there were also the Chieftan’s, Clydesdale’s etc, models with various layouts and specs.
You may know that LAD stood for Leyland, Albion, Dodge the group of three makers that used the same cab which for sales purposes was known as the Vista-Vue. The Ergomatic cab a later development by Leyland was used by Leyland, Albion and AEC with slight variations to front grille and wings externally. This cab was designed by the studios of the famous car designer Giovanni Michelotti, although built in Britain by Joseph Sankey and was hailed as the most efficient working enviroment for a driver, hence the name Ergomatic, this cab tilted as opposed to the non tilting LAD. Albions proved to be a popular and reliable goods vehicle during the span of manufacture of over 82 years. Hope this has been of some help, cheers Franky.

Cookie I’ve just seen the original thread on here so you could well have the info I’ve sent above, it seems most of your questions have been answered apart from the gearbox, these would have been a Five or Six speed constant mesh type used in the LAD and Ergo cabbed Reivers and not the older crash box, although many drivers refer to this as a ‘Crash box’ because of the need to double de-clutch during gear changes but the true crash gearbox was well out of use by the Sixties. Franky.

Double drive reduction hubs and yours truly managed to break a half shaft on one. Moving onto the scale at Ripon Gas works, GENTLY. No drama, just wouldn’t move. :blush: :blush:

Just wanted to thank you all for your input. I’ve finished my article, and it will probably be published a couple of weeks from now. I’ll let you know when it goes up.

The article I asked for help with last month went up on the website today. (Beaver680’s photo above is prominently featured.) Just wanted to thank you again for all your help; without it, it would have been a much poorer effort.

carlustblog.com/2010/12/sure … nrise.html

Thanks for your message regarding the Albion article Cookie, I downloaded it and look forward to reading it when I get some peace and quiet, there seems to be plenty of interesting information included, well done on spreading the word. Franky.

CookieTheDog’sOwner:
The article I asked for help with last month went up on the website today. (Beaver680’s photo above is prominently featured.) Just wanted to thank you again for all your help; without it, it would have been a much poorer effort.

carlustblog.com/2010/12/sure … nrise.html

Good article especially with the song connection! Brings back personal memories of when I first started going ‘up the road’. After a couple of years of driving local tippers and flats to gain experience ( before the days of HGVs ) I got a job with a local coal merchant driving a bulk tipper collecting coal from the pits plus coke and smokeless fuel from plants nationwide. The lorry? An Albion Reiver, 1965 Six legger double drive with high side ‘Pilot’ body. Fitted with low ratio diffs so motorway speed was a maximum of about 58 mph, 20 tons gross, and a payload of a little over 13 tons. As it had a ‘B’ licence ( coal products only nationwide) I did get to see a lot of the country. What a vehicle to start my distance career, noisy, underpowered, bloody cold in winter and sweatbox in summer don’t think it even had power steering so if you wearn’t rolling you couldn’t turn the wheel. A multipull handbrake used to make hill starts interesting, although it’s amazing how quickly you become skilled at it. All in all it was the ‘Reiver’ that set my addiction to long distance driving that was to last for over 40 years, so how can I not have a happy memories or is it rose coloured specks! :sunglasses:

Thanks for the positive reviews. It’s nice to know I got it right, more or less.

CookieTheDog’sOwner:
Thanks for the positive reviews. It’s nice to know I got it right, more or less.

It would’ve been nice if you had asked me for permission to use my picture.

Albion Reiver HAL450K by fryske, on Flickr

He can use mine if he wants no problem[thats why I take them so everyone can share them]
LLandudno Truck Show 2005 012.JPG

I’m quite happy for him to use mine - but if he had asked then I would’ve given him the full quality version -

I don’t mind people sharing my pictures (if that is what you are implying in your post) but it’s better to be credited for the picture.
Incidentally - your sig/watermark could be cloned out of your shot in about 5 seconds so I would advise seeking credit rather than relying on the watermark

To be fair - he has now credited me with it. - so no probs!

I know that my sig/watermark can be taken off quite easy thats why I put them at the bottom so it wont spoil the picture.Here’s another one for him if he wants it taken at Huddersfield in October.

JOHN

Hiya…not a Albion but i saw this still working in Zambia 2008.

This albion i had in 73 along with another six all had high diff and flew
spot the log book in the screen

This little gem come from Cyprus a few years ago it must be on the show scene somwhere.

John