Re: Hazard Perception Test failure

I have today failed for the second time my hazard perception test. I really can’t understand why.

I have tried the technique of clicking two seconds after the initial click (on the first attempt), that didn’t work so tried today just clicking whenever I saw a hazard, and scored 66 out of 100 - 1 mark off a pass! :frowning:

Getting really frustrated with it all now, I have been car driving 7 1/2 years so feel like its very patronising being made to do this test again.

Just to clear up whether this is correct:

• I won’t be marked down for clicking when I see ANY potential hazards, so long as I’m not clicking excessively
  • The first click within the ‘5 second window’ is the one which counts, even if I click again after the first click still in the ‘5 second window’
  • It is better to click more times in a video clip than less? Some clips today I only clicked once in the whole clip

Thanks, hoping some light can be shed on this and if anyone can offer any more advice that would be great! Would it be worth getting the official DVSA DVD? I am currently logged into driving theory 4 all and using their clips and scoring system.

I am passing each clip 4-5 points on the practice ones at home but this doesn’t seem to work on the day.

Many thanks,

Luke

The system looks out for a pattern of clicking such as ALWAYS doing 10 clicks 1 second apart

Had the same problem 1st time and second time. I failed 1st time with 40 lolz. Went home cause i remembered some videos and did them on the official dsa hazard dvd. I was actually clicking about half to 1 sec earlier than the computer wanted. So 3rd time i was clicking when i knew the hazard comes 3 or 4 times in a row half sec distance one of other. Passed with 87.

how I did it: as soon as I saw a genuine hazard I clicked 3 times, say 3 clicks in 1.5 seconds ish (quite fast but not too fast). Worked for me anyways during test. During practice I scored 4s and 5s every time with this technique.

I got 87 on my HP I’ll explain below what I did

EVERYTHING you see that could develop into hazard - click.

Like people walking down the pavement - click - in case they rush out into the road

Driving up to bollards in the road and pedestrian crossings (even if there is nobody on them) - click - they sometimes appear from nowhere.

Cars coming from the opposite way, even when they seem along way out and you have cars parked on your side - click - with cars on your side, they cause an obstruction and cause you to sometimes go over the white line.

Parked cars, but with lights on - click. I noticed in a lot of my HP vids parked cars with people still in them often pulled out, or indicated really late then pulled our, or didn’t indicate at all!

Cars at junctions that are edging their way out - click. I noticed a lot of them would dart out last minute, causing you to slow down, despite the fact they didn’t do it with any cars in front of you.

ANY KIDS you see at any point during the clip - click. I had a fair few where kids would kick a ball or dart out whilst play fighting with each other, which, in 1 vid, were followed by their mum darting out to catch them!

Cyclists in the distance - CLICK!! I think in every clip I had that had a cyclist, they ended up causing a potential hazard!

Approaching a roundabout - click! Due to people not using indicators, I noticed a lot of potential hazards when at roundabouts!

Best thing to do is treat it like a video game, that you HAVE to win! Have a strong coffee beforehand, do whatever you can to sharpen your reactions! It is true they have some kind of way of detecting if you’re constantly clicking the mouse, but I clicked ALOT when I did mine, at absolutely anything I considered could turn into a hazard and it obviously paid off.

So, if in doubt - CLICK!!!

I think looking back I haven’t clicked enough. I know there are limits and the system can detect patterns etc, but there was instances where I went past potential hazards and thought ‘I could have clicked there’.

I will be clicking a lot more when I take it on Monday - if in doubt just click, that’s the general feeling i’m getting.

Cheers for replies.

Good luck for Monday

Best of luck next time - I just clicked pretty much the same as Endgame said; if you imagine you’re driving down a road, what would you notice? People, road narrowing, parked cars, cyclists etc etc, just click… we all (should) clock all the potential hazards every time we drive but only register them sort of subconsciously because it’s second nature to simply be aware of them. After driving for many years we sort of don’t realise we do this so it is definitely harder reverting to ‘learner driver’ mode to do the test… hope that makes sense?

I think I had an average 10 clicks per clip. I was a bit worried it’s to much but it did work for me. Good luck. Fingers crossed.

I think I may have spotted the problem:

I have tried the technique of clicking two seconds after the initial click (on the first attempt), that didn’t work so tried today just clicking whenever I saw a hazard, and scored 66 out of 100 - 1 mark off a pass! :frowning:

I think you abandoned the best way of passing the HPT. ie click when you see the hazard, count 2 seconds, click again. I don’t know why it didn’t work the first time; maybe too late spotting the hazard.

Better luck next time. Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Peter Smythe:
I think I may have spotted the problem:

I think you abandoned the best way of passing the HPT. ie click when you see the hazard, count 2 seconds, click again. I don’t know why it didn’t work the first time; maybe too late spotting the hazard.

Better luck next time. Pete :laughing: :laughing:

also worked for me

Thanks everyone for the support, Peter I think you’re right in saying I probably spotted the hazard too late and therefore even my first click was too late, really hoping for a good result tomorrow and trying not to panic too much about it. just been practicing and scoring consistently well by clicking at the correct times then again to secure the points.

Thanks again

Luke

LDP:
Thanks everyone for the support, Peter I think you’re right in saying I probably spotted the hazard too late and therefore even my first click was too late, really hoping for a good result tomorrow and trying not to panic too much about it. just been practicing and scoring consistently well by clicking at the correct times then again to secure the points.

Thanks again

Luke

good luck mate, what i found, was a lot of hazards come from side roads and lead to pulling out,

HOPE ALL GOES WELL :slight_smile:

Once i thought i spotted the hazard i clicked then 2 seconds later clicked again then 1 second later clicked again :slight_smile:

Officially passed with a score this time of 87/100, very pleased! :smiley:

Got my CPC module 4 booked in now for 29th Oct (already done mod 2), just waiting on confirmation of practical dates for Class 2 licence.

Onwards and upwards :smiley:

Cheers
Luke

Well done

Og I have been driving over 30 years I still had to do this although I passed 1st time

Good result. Well done. Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Great news. Congratulations and good luck.

Thanks everyone, just thinking ahead to practical now, would it be worth me buying ‘The Official DSA Guide to Driving Heavy Goods Vehicles’ book before I start my practical and do my cpc mod 4? I still have access to my online theory and online cpc so only worth buying it if it offers a lot more than I will already know.

Thanks

Luke

Well done matey!! :smiley:

I’d buy the book, you can always sell it on later (or if you get it from Waterstones you can browse it before you buy, or take it back next day of it’s not what you want). :slight_smile:

Face:
Well done matey!! :smiley:

I’d buy the book, you can always sell it on later (or if you get it from Waterstones you can browse it before you buy, or take it back next day of it’s not what you want). :slight_smile:

There’s a Waterstones down the road actually, will go and have a browse tomorrow see what’s on offer! :smiley: