Re: Drivers Vacancies forum

Dont think its wrong.

While I think that the D/V forum is worthwile, I can,t see the point in lads advertising for potential employment, a firm isn,t suddenly going to create a vacancy on the strength of a driver saying he is looking for a job, and if there is a vacancy at a co. that uses TN they are likely to advertise it anyway, knowing that said drivers will be viewing the forum. I have seen on many occasions what appears to be a vacancy titled for eg. “European work” ,and eagerly viewed it only to find it,s just another driver looking for work :imp: . Anybody agree?? or on the other hand has it actually worked for anybody on here whereby an employer has PMd them on seeing their post, if so I will shut up :laughing:

robroy:
While I think that the D/V forum is worthwile, I can,t see the point in lads advertising for potential employment, a firm isn,t suddenly going to create a vacancy on the strength of a driver saying he is looking for a job, and if there is a vacancy at a co. that uses TN they are likely to advertise it anyway, knowing that said drivers will be viewing the forum. I have seen on many occasions what appears to be a vacancy titled for eg. “European work” ,and eagerly viewed it only to find it,s just another driver looking for work :imp: . Anybody agree?? or on the other hand has it actually worked for anybody on here whereby an employer has PMd them on seeing their post, if so I will shut up :laughing:

Hi robroy,

I can understand your point, but the purpose of the forum is clearly stated o the main index page:

A Post and Read only forum listing current job opportunities notified to TruckNet UK
Also for drivers to advertise themselves as available for work

One of the things about the transport world is that word of mouth has always been better than a job-advert. It was never any good going to the Jobcenter if you were out of work, cos you stood a better chance if you went to the transport cafe and kept your eyes and ears open. :wink:

:bulb: We may never know what word of mouth has happened between folks as a result of a post in the Vacancies Forum, so I think it’s fine as it is. :smiley:

robroy:

I tend to agree. But I think the issue you raise could be easily fixed by a requirement to include a tag, either [WANTED] or [JOB], or words to that effect. I know on occasions in the past if I have seen someone looking for work in my area and happened to know of some work available, I have PM’d them with the details. My personal opinion is that the forum should be set up to allow for replies as I think more people would then chip-in with details on the [wanted] posts. Dave can you make it happen pls.

Rob K:

robroy:

I tend to agree. But I think the issue you raise could be easily fixed by a requirement to include a tag, either [WANTED] or [JOB], or words to that effect. I know on occasions in the past if I have seen someone looking for work in my area and happened to know of some work available, I have PM’d them with the details. My personal opinion is that the forum should be set up to allow for replies as I think more people would then chip-in with details on the [wanted] posts. Dave can you make it happen pls.

Hi Rob,

I agree with your idea of requiring some sort of tag, maybe something along the lines of ‘Job Vacancy’ or ‘Job needed.’

Changing the requirement, or the way that the vacancies forum operates is a Site Admin function though, so maybe Denis or one of the other Admins could comment?

I think the “wanted” or “vacancy” tags would definitely be a good idea ( or whatever better words we can think of )

I see the point that being able to reply to a job wanted post would also work, but I would worry that it could just drift off into a another company slagging off session. I think the pm system works in this case so is a change needed ?

Denis F:
I think the “wanted” or “vacancy” tags would definitely be a good idea ( or whatever better words we can think of )

I see the point that being able to reply to a job wanted post would also work, but I would worry that it could just drift off into a another company slagging off session. I think the pm system works in this case so is a change needed ?

Yes I’m aware of that, but I think more good would come from being able to reply and provide additional info on the job, perhaps from having worked there either past or present, than bad. If any ■■■■■■■■/sniping starts to kick off then make a rule where any posts in that forum must be on topic/factual/whatever otherwise admin will remove any other posts without warning. Not those exact words, but yet get the idea.

My gut feeling is that nothing will change knowing what Rikki is like. There will be some excuses about forum software incompatibilities yada yada yada…

For what it’s worth I think the tag idea is a good one but apart from that I think the “Driver Vacancies” forum is fine as it is, to allow replies would simply be allowing some people to disrupt the forum … you know it would happen :laughing:

As far as stopping people from advertising that they are looking for a job is concerned I really can’t see the point, there’s not usually enough posts in there to make a great difference so why not let it continue.

On the subject of the “Driver Vacancies” forum I don’t see why there’s no report button for the posts, I think this has been mentioned before but I can’t remember what the reason for no report button was.

There should be a report button so we can easily report the agencies that occasionally try to get away with putting there [zb] in there.

tachograph:
On the subject of the “Driver Vacancies” forum I don’t see why there’s no report button for the posts, I think this has been mentioned before but I can’t remember what the reason for no report button was.

DEJA VU :wink:

Denis F:

tachograph:

DEJA VU :wink:

Thanks, I thought it had been mentioned before but couldn’t remember what the outcome was :blush: