Re: Driver negligence insurance

Hi peeps this is a question for all you Ltd company drivers getting direct work from companys not agencies.

I’m seeking work direct through my company what I’m coming up against is these companies want me to have driver negligence insurance. As far as I’m aware it’s not worth while for a one man band to have due to cost?

Has any Ltd drivers got if so how much do you pay and who do you use. Thanks in advance Tom

No i don’t have it its because the agencies have and the companies think its a requirement

From what I remember from the time I was self employed going direct and trying to find “Driver Negligence Insurance”, not one insurance broker had a clue what I was on about and actually couldn’t find anything. The nearest they could get was public liability but their view was that any damage to the vehicle and/or load was covered by the haulage company’s vehicle and GIT insurance.

You should have a clause in your terms of business which you get every client to sign (you do have some don’t you?) that they are liable for ensuring you are insured as required under the road traffic act and you are not liable for any damage, losses or costs arising as a direct or indirect result of your actions or that of any of your employees or representatives. You should also in those terms of business have clearly defined minimum booking hours, job cancellation notice thresholds after which they’re liable for a minimum booking fee and finally, time limits for payment of invoices with the penalties for late payment clearly defined (currently in law Barclays Base rate plus 8% applied pro-rata).

Without a terms of business they can cancel you at the last minute, send you home after an hour and only pay you for that, choose when they want to pay you if at all and sue you for any damage/loss/costs.

Conor:
From what I remember from the time I was self employed going direct and trying to find “Driver Negligence Insurance”, not one insurance broker had a clue what I was on about and actually couldn’t find anything. The nearest they could get was public liability but their view was that any damage to the vehicle and/or load was covered by the haulage company’s vehicle and GIT insurance.

You should have a clause in your terms of business which you get every client to sign (you do have some don’t you?) that they are liable for ensuring you are insured as required under the road traffic act and you are not liable for any damage, losses or costs arising as a direct or indirect result of your actions or that of any of your employees or representatives. You should also in those terms of business have clearly defined minimum booking hours, job cancellation notice thresholds after which they’re liable for a minimum booking fee and finally, time limits for payment of invoices with the penalties for late payment clearly defined (currently in law Barclays Base rate plus 8% applied pro-rata).

Without a terms of business they can cancel you at the last minute, send you home after an hour and only pay you for that, choose when they want to pay you if at all and sue you for any damage/loss/costs.

Hi Conor,

How are you? yes I do have terms of business (as you kindly helped me out by showing me yours) The above is the same as what I thought. A said firm im in talks with seems to think that his other 2 subbies have dni (I kindly asked if he could advise me whom they use and the cost) still waiting for that reply… :unamused:
with regards to terms of business one company said that they wasnt happy with and could not except them and canceled all bookings, asked them what they are not happy with and no reply. I explained to client that terms of business need to be in place so both companys no where we stand

You could offer to pay the companies insurance excess should an incident arise, most will be happy with this because this is basically what the agencies are offering. You could alternatively insure yourself for any vehicle including goods up to whatever amount you require and its not as expensive as you might think.

I’ve recently been working directly for a customer through my Ltd Company. When I first got contacted by them they asked if I had Public Liability and Driver Neg Ins.
I do not have Driver Neg Ins and they were fine with that though they did require Public Liability.
My company has also done the odd weekend via an Agency who didn’t require proof of any kind of Insurance.

OH, stop calling yourselves a Limited Company !
You are an employee of a Limited Company which you happen to be the director of.