re accidents

there has been a few posts recently about dodgy claims etc.
my tip, carry a disposable camera with you. if you have a bump then take pictures of the scene,vehicle damage, old nd fresh , if the car is not taxed then get a shot of that to. and most importantly get a snap of the driver.
these pics are worth there weight in gold.

any more tips, then please add. :wink:

Pretty solid advice Dave, I’ve carried one around for a while now.

Most insurance firms give a accident form which you should use .if not
then get the vehicles reg-no,drivers name+address from his licence also
driveing licence no, insurance details from the other driverm witness names+addresses, if in doubt call the police to the site of the accident ,
as one said teke pic,s if you have a camera it does help your case to prove when points are made and the other party disagrees- some one else will add to this list now where i have forgotten to name something.

I carry a small digital camara. It’s surprising how some people react when they see it, especially if the claim is er… not quite right. :open_mouth:

Its also worth its weight in gold for showing signs, road markings, weather conditions, and my particular favourite the loading of trailers by people who should know better. :smiling_imp: :smiling_imp:

Nice one Dave, I never thought about that, but I think I would go down the digi camera route then you can keep a copy yourself. I remember someone who even used a camera phone to take pictures of problematic delivery areas.

Allrighty

I have a question about the use of Digital Camera’s for recording evidence of accidents, etc.

As digital photography can be manipulated by various software packages, even by complete techno muppets, is it acceptable as evidence in court or for any legally binding purpose?

Anyone knowâ– â– ?

I have been told by a former colleague who regularly works on third party damage claims that digital photographs/video are accepted as evidence. He makes sure that the date/time stamp is active and apparently if the file is not modified it is OK. Since he works for BT, who have whole departments chasing £millions, I am inclined to believe this is true.

Wiretwister:
I have been told by a former colleague who regularly works on third party damage claims that digital photographs/video are accepted as evidence. He makes sure that the date/time stamp is active and apparently if the file is not modified it is OK. Since he works for BT, who have whole departments chasing £millions, I am inclined to believe this is true.

Actually what you say is a very good point, if the file is un-modified then that will show on its file log so therefor it must be an original image created at the time and date specified.

Pretty obvious if I’d thought about it for a moment, :blush: :blush:

Many thanks Wiretwister :wink:

Also with the invention of camera phones its soo much easier to carry one and snap away when the need arises. For those who dont have one should consider getting one when they want to renew a mobile phone.

Do look out for cheaper phones as the one I have isnt great but I do know that there is phones out there which produce very good photos and will show the amount of detail as you require. (This means dont buy a Nokia 6820, yeah I know it looks good with keyboard but the camera is useless!)

The last accident I was in with the car the driver tryed to claim the road was a roundabout when there was long white lines down the middle of the main road and giveway junctions (roundabout type) in preparation for a roundabout, But no roundabout so I still had right of way, So got trigger happy with the camera and have told the insurance company I have the photos if required. (Still have not got the car back, 3 Weeks to fit a new airbag system!)

Danny

I remember reading some stuff about digital camera files and what is admissable as evidence in court. There is some grey area as I remember. The jist of the article was that in certain cases digital image files in RAW format would be admissable, but others were not.

I always use my camera phone but mainly for damaged goods that are being delivered i take a quick snap as im loading it so if theres any comebacks ive got proof it wasnt me :sunglasses: :slight_smile:

simon

This may be of interest.

66.102.9.104/search?q=cache:gq8W … +law&hl=en

You can’t sue a squirrel
But you can claim for harm caused by motorists banging into you. Author RICHARD PEACE, a lawyer in a former life, explains what to do when you need to make or defend a claim and how to stand up to lawyers who try to pin ‘contributory negligence’ on cyclists…

It all seems like good advice.

brit pete:
if in doubt call the police to the site of the accident .

The police will not turn out to minor accidents if there is no injuries as they do not want to get involved in being witnesses etc etc.

Basically you need to say there is an injury or that your vehicle(s) are blocking the road.

This is deffo the case in Greater Manchester I don’t know about other counties!

Super Dan:

brit pete:

The police will not turn out to minor accidents if there is no injuries as they do not want to get involved in being witnesses etc etc.

Basically you need to say there is an injury or that your vehicle(s) are blocking the road.

same for sussex too

pam

Super Dan:

brit pete:

When I was bus driving we all use to shout pulled muscle as soon as anything happened, it’s impossible to disprove & the police must be called to any accident involving a personal injury & they must turn up.
Also if you suffer any muscle strain which puts off work the following day/days or other unknown, (at the time,) injury then a claim can be made much easier.

ive always got a camara handy. :blush: :blush: :blush: