Re 08 scania 420

hello
having major problem with my 08 Scania 420 its on its 3rd starter motor now , the starter motor will not disengage the fitter has had it on the laptop but its not bringing any faults up, Scania sent a technician out on Thursday morning he was there 30 minutes said he never heard of this before , he said he would get back to me later but never contacted me, I contacted Scania depot they said ill have to wait while Monday morning , its been off the road now for two weeks, has anybody come across this problem before, any input would be welcome, thank you.

Has anybody bothered to check the ring gear?

cav551:
Has anybody bothered to check the ring gear?

Is that something to do with blob week?

good morning
yes the ring gear was changed when a new clutch was fitted 3 weeks ago the mechanic has changed the relays checked out the wiring loom
it seems that although I got an account with the main dealer Scania im probably too small to care about, at wits end now

Hi, my 08 380 needed a new starter, once it was fitted when the batteries were connected the engine just started turning over constantly. The starter exciter wire from the engine ecm was live all the time. To remedy this I took the exciter wire off the starter and taped it out of the way, then took a wire from the starter wire at the ignition key to a relay that I fitted under the fuse box then to the starter. I also fitted a buzzer in to the wire going to the starter from the relay. Hope this helps.

thanks for that mossdog
ill tell my mechanic and let you know if it works

If the dealer discovers the same as Mossdog then they will probably just go ahead and fit a new engine ecu. So your best bet is probably going to be to do his modification. If the exciter wire is only live intermittently it might be worth connecting it to a new warning light or buzzer in the cab, if you want to find the cause of the problem later.

We had one do that and it was water ingress to the brain, got it repaired and not given any bother since.

hello
thanks for all the suggestions, it goes into Scania Trafford Park in the morning I will keep you
posted with the outcome. thanks

Scania Normanton Darren is your man

Sounds like the starter is mis aligned.
The starter operates on a roller clutch and should kick the pinion out as soon as the engine goes over 250 rpm.Even if the motor keeps turning the roller clutch should kick it out of mesh.
Sounds like a daft question but has a dowel or shim been missed out so that the pinion can jam on the starter motor shaft and keep the motor in rotation,not enough to lock the pinion and burst the motor but just enough to over speed it and overload the reduction gearing in the motor.
Just a thought.