Rates

Been talking to a driver today who says his brother works as a subbie for dsv out of immingham and he says he was on 1.45 a mile. I don’t know whether to believe him or not what does everybody else think or is it just ■■■■■■■■ !!

GID:
Been talking to a driver today who says his brother works as a subbie for dsv out of immingham and he says he was on 1.45 a mile. I don’t know whether to believe him or not what does everybody else think or is it just [zb] !!

it depends how many miles he does :wink:

GID:
Been talking to a driver today who says his brother works as a subbie for dsv out of immingham and he says he was on 1.45 a mile. I don’t know whether to believe him or not what does everybody else think or is it just [zb] !!

Once the driver or his brother have adjusted the rate (purely for effect) it’s anybody’s guess what the rate actually is so I’d say the info is no better than just a rumour.

That’s what the rate should be nowadays with the price of diesel :slight_smile:

GID:
That’s what the rate should be nowadays with the price of diesel :slight_smile:

:open_mouth:

OK.

1-35 1-45 on traction sounds about right.

that rate from DSV will be about average for Immingham, but saying that I offered £1.52/mile and got no response so you never know what people expect

1.52 a mile for traction is brilliant :slight_smile:

:open_mouth:

So are you lads genuinely saying 1.50 is great or as it been lost in translation to me and your taking the Michael?

I am going to give them a ring tomorrow to see if it’s true or not

I,d say £1.50 a mile is above the average rate for traction

Sarcasm, on here? How very dare you sir! Flounces, stage left in a huff.

Does it seem a little out of balance that say, a taxi may be regulated at £2.70 per mile, transit vans at god knows what, but a vehicle that costs more to buy, run and service and jump through so many hoops at every stage averages out at half that? Really? So if iv just been offered work at £3.00 per loaded mile one way, what exactly should I be doing? Breaking his arm off and gettin on the road? Or is that about what you lads are really achieving each way? Thanks in advance from someone trying to start up but thinkin I’ll stick with the soul destroying mind numbing life of PAYE.

Imho, 1.50 p/m is crap. It is however good if you’re currently on 1.35 p/m. Perspectives you see. :wink:

I dont do traction myself but i meant £1.50 a mile seems more than i.ve seen advertised elsewhere, usually seems to be 1.20-1.30 ish

Mattwoodtransport:
So if iv just been offered work at £3.00 per loaded mile one way.

but if you dont have a backload then thats no better than 1.50 a mile on traction

Mattwoodtransport:
Does it seem a little out of balance that say, a taxi may be regulated at £2.70 per mile, transit vans at god knows what, but a vehicle that costs more to buy, run and service and jump through so many hoops at every stage averages out at half that? Really? So if iv just been offered work at £3.00 per loaded mile one way, what exactly should I be doing? Breaking his arm off and gettin on the road? Or is that about what you lads are really achieving each way? Thanks in advance from someone trying to start up but thinkin I’ll stick with the soul destroying mind numbing life of PAYE.

Only person can answer that is you, you know your costs? Does it work for you?
If yes then do it if not dont.
But it aint just about the mile rate, time weigh and how many miles, consistancy ect all play a part in making it good or bad.

Goaty:
Imho, 1.50 p/m is crap. It is however good if you’re currently on 1.35 p/m. Perspectives you see. :wink:

A sweeping statement, no mileage rate will cover all scenarios, as others have said taxi’s get far more per mile but you cannot compare irregular taxi rates(or haulage) with regular, consistent sub contracting traction rates.

If I was getting £1.50 for every mile my truck does I would be very happy but then i am easily pleased and must have low expectations.

Let me show you some real costings that apply to my operation. I and my son currently run a brand new Axor(don’t do tramping so adequate) on monthly rental from a local hire company that we have built up a good working relationship with, so virtually no unexpected bills.

We have subcontracted traction only with the same company for over 12 years with mostly continental work to ports and some domestic work with no trailer hire charges. The work is regular with very few quiet spells, paid on time and with few nights out which suits my son with a young family.

I will show costings based on 46 working weeks p/a and 9mpg, we are actually achieving slightly more than this on mixed loads but loaded with something most of the time.

Without going into details my fixed costs, vehicle rental,insurance,yard etc are £25675 p/a. This is a bit higher because my son has been a naughty boy and collected a few points so the insurance is up by about £1500.

Running costs at£1.10/litre, 9mpg and 2p/mile for tyres work out at 57.5p/m.

1500m/wk is 69000m/a gives total running costs…£39675…total costs…£65350
1750…80500…£46287…£71962
2000…92000…£52900…£78575

So, profit analysis (profit = wage in our circumstances)

At £1.50/mile

69000m/a gives revenue of…£103500 giving a profit of £38150
80500…£120750…£48788
2000…£138000…£59425

Don’t know what some expect to earn from running one truck but we would be very happy with those figures for the work we are doing, in your own bed most nights.

Needless to say we do not get £1.50 a mile for every mile the truck does and I do not know how rates are calculated from the figures quoted by others, I doubt that they for total actual mileages.

Hardly a sweeping statement, merely a comment based on experience.

Your figures leave no room for "what if’s? "
Punctures, stone chips parking fines etc…

9 mpg every mile is highly commendable but imho unrealistic for general Haulage at 44tn, let us all hope you never lose this customer.

The profit = wages thing is also tripe. Costings should cover everything, including wages with a profit tagged on. What’s the point otherwise? Haulage is a business not a hobby.