Rates...

What are average rates per loaded mile nowadays for an artic?

Conor:
What are average rates per loaded mile nowadays for an artic?

conor, I dont think you’ll get much response, there’s enough competition out there already. :unamused:
Regards kevmac47.

as a subbie? or a haulage company?

It’s hard to say to be honest - depends on the nature of the load and where it is going to/from. An overall average over the entire industry is going to be pretty much meaningless. I’m sure there are some long distance traction jobs paying only a few pence over the mythical “quid a mile” whereas some time consuming local work will work out at ten times that or more.

Paul

Average running cost of an artic and 45ft curtain is around £1.50 - £1.75 per mile. That’s all averages mind and as already said some jobs by their nature will cost way more

Pete

Haulage company.

I came across some old accounts from 1995 when I was doing work for Kimtrans and Finanglia off Hull docks hauling paper, timber and board.

Used to get £40 for running across the road from Hull docks with hardboard - literally out of the east dock gate, straight across a set of traffic lights and 100 yards up Somerden Road. Got £60 for running hardboard to Scunthorpe - 30 miles. Bridge toll was about £9.50 at the time making it £50 for doing 30 miles. £120 taking paper reels from Hull to J41 at Wakefield. £700 doing a rush job running paper reels to Southampton from Hull.

Diesel was around 54p/l inc VAT.

Just wondering how that compared to now what with Lunns going to the wall and people saying how the rates are being cut.

Absolutely no interest in getting my own motor - I like having a life and I earn far more an hour now than I would in haulage.

I no of people doin poole to Kent 138 miles 44t load 210 quid !

monarch of the highway:

that won’t even cover the fuel

mickyblue:

monarch of the highway:

The fuel cost roughly is about 130 quid so if you through Anva 20 quid on for tyres ins etc 50 quid for half days finance on vechile 50 quid for half days drivers wages you’d need a pretty good outward load down to poole to make it pay I guess this is why so many company’s are goin to the wall 5 years ago the rate was the same but fuel costs were around 70 quid to do that job , so is it really worth all the agro

The best 1986 jobs in Hull for me were ship to shore with a road tank, IBL to Chambers and Fargus, Croda or sometimes IBL to the opposite side of the yard.

Fuel was 31ppl
Easy to do 8 or 9 loads a day at £30 a piece without cleaning.

It was a good crack too as you spent most of the time chatting to the other lads on the job

monarch of the highway:

That’s £1.52 per mile ! Is that a bad one way rate?

jesus H where do you buy your fuel?
138miles
8mpg =17.25gls x 4.546=78.41lts x £1.17= £91.74

mickyblue:

monarch of the highway:

robbo863:
jesus H where do you buy your fuel?
138miles
8mpg =17.25gls x 4.546=78.41lts x £1.17= £91.74

mickyblue:

monarch of the highway:

Wastnt thinking straight when worked the 130 pound fuel cost out so yes your rite it’s about 90 odd quid,n I don’t buy fuel ne way my uncle shamus mcpaddy borrows it n then gives it to me cos I married his wife’s sisters aunt n where family