Rates etc

As an owner driver how much do you excpect to be making a week and how much money do you need to start up in your opinion (just out of interest)

Two simple questions to which there is no simple answer.

I’ve made over £2,000 in a week before, after costs. I’ve also lost over £2,000 in a week before, after costs. I pay myself a fixed wage of £2,150 nett a month, which is probably not much more than an employed driver would get, although I will own the truck outright in another year and that will be worth maybe £12,000.

As an absolute minimum, I reckon you would need about £15,000 to start up, but that would be if you had a leased truck, were on weekly payment terms and had a fuel card supplied by whoever you were working for, and you have the bottom hand on all three of those things from the word go.

the harsh reality is not what to expect to make but work out exactly what you need to make to cover all working costs, wages, overheads, unforeseen things, profit then a bit on top for a rainy day, and then some. so charge out accordingly.

how much to set up…impossible to answer until you know what type of work,what truck/s
running costs, business costs, and everything involved in setting up. but I would think you would be talkin 5 figures without going into debt to get started

Harry Monk:
Two simple questions to which there is no simple answer.

I’ve made over £2,000 in a week before, after costs. I’ve also lost over £2,000 in a week before, after costs. I pay myself a fixed wage of £2,150 nett a month, which is probably not much more than an employed driver would get, although I will own the truck outright in another year and that will be worth maybe £12,000.

As an absolute minimum, I reckon you would need about £15,000 to start up, but that would be if you had a leased truck, were on weekly payment terms and had a fuel card supplied by whoever you were working for, and you have the bottom hand on all three of those things from the word go.

Yes.

Basically, unless you’re on a very cheeky screw, I wouldn’t bother.

Unless it just suits for the crack. (& the heart ache).