Rate increases 2011

is anybody increasing there rates from 1st of jan withn the vat increase■■?

Most of us only deal with other VAT registered businesses so the VAT increase has no direct effect. I’ll be adding 20% VAT to my invoices instead of 17.5% but my customers will be able to claim it all back anyway so it doesn’t really affect them.

Paul

yes i am the same… but everything will increase and i bet wot we pay the vat man every quarter will goup so it will cost more!!! :imp:

Yes you’ll be paying more each quarter (assuming you’re making a profit!) but only because you’ve been invoicing all your customers 2.5% more than you were before so the net effect is zero. In fact in some ways it’s a bonus as you’ll have that extra 2.5% in your bank account earning interest for potentially up to 4 months before you have to hand it over to the VAT man.

Paul

net effect zero… earn 2250 plus vat at 17.5% £2643.75

fuel 1000 plus vat at 17.5 £1175

whats left £1468.75

earn 2250 plus vat at 20% £2700

fuel 1000 plus vat at 20% £1200

whats left £1500

Lrm

LRM:
net effect zero… earn 2250 plus vat at 17.5% £2643.75

fuel 1000 plus vat at 17.5 £1175

whats left £1468.75

earn 2250 plus vat at 20% £2700

fuel 1000 plus vat at 20% £1200

whats left £1500

Lrm

… and what’s left after you’ve paid your VAT bill at the end of the quarter is still 1250 the same as before. You just get the extra 30ish quid in your bank account for a few months earning interest until the vat comes due.

Paul

Which, with the current bank rates as they are Paul, is virtually zero as well!!!

Ken.

jody1980:
is anybody increasing there rates from 1st of jan withn the vat increase■■?

yes, but not because of the Vat, because of the general rises in fuel prices and fuel duty !

a £32 difference in the vat element on a weeks earning will affect business in many different ways, cash flow, business confidence, fleet renewal, many different ways, a rise at this time may well be the final nail for many people, including, perish the thought, our customers…

Lrm

It is only 2.5 % increase on your profits it makes no difference to buying new trucks as you claim the VAT back.
You need to put your rates up to pay good wages & the increase in fuel tyres & everything else Tyres jumping 30-50% last year depending on the brand

My rates are going up by 1.9%, but the vat increase does not make any difference to 99% of customers because they are vat registered too… :sunglasses:

my rates are going up on one of my jobs,other work well i’ll av to look see is it worth doin?
How anyone can say"VAT NO DIRECT EFFECT"is beyond me how often is the % increase only passed on?
as we all know fuel has gone up more than duty increase and vat %
Now lets get to the point, how many on here have any say in the rate to start with ?
we all know you can say it’s not worth doing i’ll park up but when your paying drivers wages ,finance,
tax,insurance how many do?
(boxes/bulktippers/generalflats/bricks/blocks seem to work on a take the rate or leave it basis)
with that in mind i dont expect folk to own up to this !!
so to recap one of my jobs is good and already stoped doing the crap(tarmac blocks) pity the good is only 5/6 months of the year.
on the sbject of fuel protests park up stay at home its the only way , cant see it hapening tho,riding round london at 2 miles per hour only upsets the general public who to be honest you need on side!
rant over, what do others think ?
cheers moose

I personally feel that we should all take the same weeks holiday together,Make sure we give customers and the public notice off this 2 weeks before we do it.This way they couldn’t threaten to take away your licence,no one would say you are stopping the emergency services,VOSA should be happy we are having a break,And 2 weeks would give them all time to panic buy so by the Wednesday someone will want to talk to us because by then the [zb] will hit the fan and we have done no wrong.

YOU WOULD NOT NEED THE SPINELESS BIG PLAYERS OR RHA/FTA WE COULD ACHIVE THIS OURSELVES WITH MAKING A SORT OF TEAMSTERS.
SORT THE LOT OUT I.E PARKING/CHARGING/FUEL USER REBATE ON THE MILLAGE YOU CAN PROVE TO THE FUEL YOU BOUGHT.SET A MILLAGE RATE FOR ALL WEIGHTS ON A CMR AND GET THE WORK ON MERRIT NOT PRICE.

Just my thoughts can’t see an easier way legalley. :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :unamused:

Jobe 100% agree tbh but can see 1 major problem my best months are may to september,i can pass the extra cost on but september to may mostly cannot…and suspect most hauliers have better/worse times of year so cannot see much support from them doin ok/well at a given time!
On the subject of rha/fta total waste of space ( if anyone can explain what they get for yearly subs)
Are you able to pass on any extra cost ?
cant see much help from them that can pass extra costs on or are tied to contracts as last time
thats my take anyway
moose

“how anyone can say vat has no direct effect is beyond me”

Praise the lord, i was beginning too think it was just me…

7 grand a week in fuel paid in a fortnight, 60 days plus before you get the money in, suddenly that 2.5% becomes a cashflow cost, if you factor your money the more you download the more you pay…

i fully understand this may not mean a vast difference to an owner driver but most are just a small cog in a big wheel…

Lrm

Dear Grandma, thank you for the Christmas card and gift voucher. However due to the recent 2.5% VAT increase you will have to send me more money ASAP :laughing:

send even more money fuels gone through the roof!
on the subject of fuel prices can anyone see any sort of protest action taking place ?

I will continue to increase my rates as and when the need arises …whether it be fuel or other rising costs …£2.00 per mile upwards now …short runs see mileage rate doubled or trebled depending on distance …i’m in a fortunate position that all my work with the exception of one vehicle on traction for the quieter winter months are direct spot hire jobs and are priced on the day reflecting the costs at the time …

We only price round trips and if a backload fits in then even better but most of them aren’t worth stopping for and we usually run home empty …

I was disgusted to be offered £210 to collect Folkestone deliver bury st Edmunds and £450 to collect Dundee and deliver Norfolk …!

What the ■■■■ are those rates about …you couldn’t run a moped for that …it doesn’t even work out at £1.00 per mile let alone £2.00

To sum up …rates are increased …!

Back in 1991,i was getting £2200 for a Gibraltar round trip to any French port,as they would send us trailers un-acompanied to the dock,drop and turn,or spin and burn.
For Lisbon and reload out of Porto,the rate was £1850,plus the kms to collect in the mountains for shoes and marble,that would take a full day and most times in to the late night,finishing groupage at Lassens or Trevomars warehouse in Maia.Or at Garland Laidley Lda.
Think Madrid was about £1450,and all ADR loads were paid at £75 per trip.How does that compare to todays rates?Never had to go over 9 or 10 hours driving,even though i had to be there yesterday,and had the normal ■■■,of that driver can get there in such a time,and what was taking me so long,clients pulling their hair out,arrive there,and all is quiet,and what was the dam hurry and constant phone calls.
Can still taste that Piri-Piri roast chicken,that was seen all over the small side streets,washed down with a “Tango”,a beer with red fruit syrup added to it.Life was good.
Truckers then made the time to have a chin wag,and help out with an awkward or unknown delivery or reloading places,they would stop for you,and help out with a problem,as CB was widely used,in ten minutes,there would appear about 4 British trucks.
If i was not in a hurry to get to Porto,i would take the much slower national 1,to save money on the toll road,it was a dangerous route,fast traffic,and many accidents occured,for a restaurants,there were plenty to choose from.