Ratchet straps

Hi all
Any one got any tips on how to stop curtain ratchet straps coming loose .
I drive a rigid curtain sider ( fairly high ) at 14ft 6 .
After tightening them up after loading I usually need to stop at least once on a 2-3 hour trip , not that they come undone and hang down just that they look loose and not very tidy.
However whenever I’m running empty ratchets nearly always need re tightening as they tend to work loose .
Thank you

Are you on about the curtain buckles? If you are and you’re using internal roof mounted straps, the problem is happening because you’re tightening up the curtain buckles too tight, pulling the roof down, which naturally makes your internal straps come loose. If you want the inner ones to stay tight and your box body is the flimsy aluminium sort with no side pillars, do your internal straps up from the middle on each side, then half way between those and your front and back, then the ones in between, keeping the same tension. Then do up your external curtain but don’t go ham on the buckles, just do them finger tight, otherwise you’ll pull down the roof and all your internal ones will go loose. There’s a bit of a knack to it, but start at the middle rather than the ends and keep the tension about the same. If you start from the end then you’ll never get them to stay tight as you’re pulling the roof in a bit further with each one.

DCPCFML:
Are you on about the curtain buckles? If you are and you’re using internal roof mounted straps, the problem is happening because you’re tightening up the curtain buckles too tight, pulling the roof down, which naturally makes your internal straps come loose. If you want the inner ones to stay tight and your box body is the flimsy aluminium sort with no side pillars, do your internal straps up from the middle on each side, then half way between those and your front and back, then the ones in between, keeping the same tension. Then do up your external curtain but don’t go ham on the buckles, just do them finger tight, otherwise you’ll pull down the roof and all your internal ones will go loose. There’s a bit of a knack to it, but start at the middle rather than the ends and keep the tension about the same. If you start from the end then you’ll never get them to stay tight as you’re pulling the roof in a bit further with each one.

Hi no I am just on about the actual curtain straps .

Happy Trucker1:
Hi all
Any one got any tips on how to stop curtain ratchet straps coming loose .
I drive a rigid curtain sider ( fairly high ) at 14ft 6 .
After tightening them up after loading I usually need to stop at least once on a 2-3 hour trip , not that they come undone and hang down just that they look loose and not very tidy.
However whenever I’m running empty ratchets nearly always need re tightening as they tend to work loose .
Thank you

What you should be doing , I often have a walk round & tightened , same as a kick of the tyres , checks arnt just for 30 mins before you set off for the day

Is it a pillarless body? If so then again, start from the middle each side and work outwards. You need to keep going back and forth to each section ideally - that’s the only way I’ve had them stay tight on a long run.

Eg. if you have 20 buckles on one side, do 10 first then 9, then 11, 8, 12, 7, 13, 6, 14 etc, and keep the tension the same. If you do 1, 2, 3, 4 etc it’ll be billowing like a sail within 20 mile and your buckles falling off.