RATCHET STRAPS, CHAINS, & ROPES (With VIDEOS)

RATCHET STRAPS

ANOTHER RATCHET STRAP VIDEO

CHAINS
RATCHET TYPE CHAIN TENSIONER

Yellow arrow is pointing to switch which is pushed in order to change to either tighten or untighten.

LOCK-OVER CHAIN TENSIONER WARNING - These can be dangerous

A holow steel bar, such as a 4 foot scaffold tube, is put over the handle for extra leverage.

ROPES

How to tie a trucker hitch (DOLLY KNOT) -

SHOWN IN PICS - thanks tachograph :smiley:

I take it you do know that you’ve posted this in the "THE UK PROFESSIONAL DRIVERS FORUM " a place where the majority of drivers are likely to know what chains straps and dolly knots look like :laughing:

If you want to know what a proper truckers dolly knot looks like try here, before straps most of us used rope not string to secure loads :laughing:

tachograph:
I take it you do know that you’ve posted this in the "THE UK PROFESSIONAL DRIVERS FORUM " a place where the majority of drivers are likely to know what chains straps and dolly knots look like :laughing:

As this one has now been moved to Newbies, I have removed the other that was in this forum.

ROPES

How to tie a trucker hitch (DOLLY KNOT) -

[/quote]
Never done a dolly like that and never will.

As for the demonstration on ratchets. The way he did it, he’ll end up with a chewed finger trying to unlock it fully tensioned. I open it up and break it’s back.

berewic:

As for the demonstration on ratchets. The way he did it, he’ll end up with a chewed finger trying to unlock it fully tensioned. I open it up and break it’s back.

If anyone can find better videos then I will replace the others but they were the best I could find - at least it gives an idea of what is invloved for those that have never used them :slight_smile:

ROG:

berewic:

If anyone can find better videos then I will replace the others but they were the best I could find - at least it gives an idea of what is invloved for those that have never used them :slight_smile:

I’m thinking until then you should withdraw the videos as they are both misleading. The dolly video shows the type of dolly used on unaccompanied trailers and containers coming in from over the North Sea and elsewhere. They can rarely be completely undone. The rope is then near useless due to the knots left in it. On that job your supposed to use the rope/straps/chains that come with the load. If you use your own, your unlikely to ever see them again. I know in the vid his dolly came undone easily enough but then he hadn’t pulled down on it hard enough to be of any use or tighten down on the knot.

The link that tachograph showed is the way I have always used. It never gets tangled and falls apart easily when undone.

I learned initially to wrap around the loop twice, with the second wrap behind the first, then you don’t need to twist it. Then I discovered that way was much easier to undo… :smiley:

It’s amazing how it stays with you though. I had to tie something down a couple of weeks back and just tied it without thinking at all. I doubt I have used a rope for 15 years.

Over here we use 4" straps on winders bolted to the trailers. Much easier.

bobthedog:
I learned initially to wrap around the loop twice, with the second wrap behind the first, then you don’t need to twist it. Then I discovered that way was much easier to undo… :smiley:

It’s amazing how it stays with you though. I had to tie something down a couple of weeks back and just tied it without thinking at all. I doubt I have used a rope for 15 years.

Over here we use 4" straps on winders bolted to the trailers. Much easier.

Trouble with those winders Bob is you can only put a strap where you have a winder, which 'ent always where you want it. :smiley:

On BFS that was a problem, but most of our trailers here have sliding winches which makes things much easier, unless you miscount and are using 18 straps, and you have to undo 5 to get the spare winch…