Ratchet strap or not

Delivered these 3 bags of fertiliser, should they have been tied down with a ratchet strap
Photo2664.jpgor not?

Up to you.

a strap over each wouldn’t hurt as the side boards don’t reach half way up the bags .
To add you couldn’t use the Hooks unless tested and rated .

Maybe should of spread weight further back especially having the weight of the hiab on the front axle as well.

Paul :smiley:

elmet training:
Maybe should of spread weight further back especially having the weight of the hiab on the front axle as well.

Paul :smiley:

then you have the prob of nothing holding the load away from the headboard Paul catch 22 :wink: depending on the weight of the bags mind

With big bags I always laced them on using the lifting straps, if I needed straps

No they won’t go anywhere

Would probably have slung a strap over each, just to keep VOSA happy. Not necessary IMO tho’ :slight_smile:

If I was doing it I’d put two bags up front empty pallets in the middle and two bags at the back straps over both groups of bags.

thanks to all, I didn’t use a strap, wonder what vosas thoughts would be. Farmers call in and load them on flatbed trailers and ive yet to see one strapped

Always best to through straps over anything/most things just to play safe to save an excuse for a tug :wink:

I maybe only drive 3 hours a day but work 9 to 5, is it right to turn the tacho to rest when the lorry is stationery or should it show work?

^^in my view it ought to show other work when you’re working and rest when you’re resting.

Driving usually selects itself automatically

Obviously you need to keep an eye on RTD if your company takes notice of it

Every time I’ve seen a flatbed ■■■■■■ with bags of coal they never seem to be strapped down , unless I can’t see the rope etc

im same with the coal bags, never seen one strapped. saying that tho when i was taught i was told that if ANYTHING goes on my truck then it should be strapped. what happens for example if u had to do a emergency stop. dont think it would end nicely

ytre:
Delivered these 3 bags of fertiliser, should they have been tied down with a ratchet strap 0or not?

Answer to your question is yes each bag should have been secured with ratchet straps

Better safe than sorry m8 , strapping wouldn’t do any harm, as the guys said don’t attract any attention , avoid a tug .

If the contents are loose(never done fertiliser), like bulk bags of sand and stone then a strap is pretty much useless as 10 minutes down the road the load in the bag moves round the strap and you risk loosing the strap and ratchet when they become loose

Hi

Play it safe… strap it down and the day you don’t either some jumped up traffic / police officer will fine you and add points to your driving licence, its not worth the bother or the hassle…

Think of it from this point of view… if you had an accident and there not strapped down…what damage could those bags do…

I carry two pallets of rolled barley every week, 40, 25kg bags per pallet. I use a plastic 2 inch wrapping band over and under the pallets and ratchet them tight to try and stop the barley subsiding, there then wrapped with plastic and put on the lorry, ratchet straps are used to secure the load. The delivery point is 34 miles away so I stop every ten miles and ratchet the straps, they be really slack.
Barley is like sand and fertiliser, its constantly moving around. It would take automatic tensioning straps which I know is impossible. Would love to hear vosas view on transporting bagged barley in plastic bags