Ran my first 10k today

I’ve worked really hard over the past 8 months to get to this point, so thought I would share. As it’s become quite an important thing to me for various reasons.

Decided I was getting out of shape, with work trousers that were often uncomfortable to do up the top button, generally always feeling crappy and having no energy, so I started running. I’ve gone 5 or 6 days a week since July, and built up to 30 miles a week now.

Today I ran in my first race, 10k, that’s 6 miles in old money, and is just the right distance to hold my interest. I’d be interested in a half marathon at a push, just to say i’ve done it, but a full marathon sounds too much like pain and misery, and also a pretty dull way to spend 3 hours.

Despite the most terrible weather in weeks, it ■■■■■■ it down heavily all the way round (and even snowed towards the end :open_mouth: ) I really enjoyed myself, far more than expecting. It was a strange buzz to be running a race again, and completely different dynamic to going it alone for obvious reasons.

Out of 950 runners, I came 83rd with a time of 43.40. Pretty pleased with that, it puts me on the first page of results.

Will be entering more this year, with the hope of getting faster.

Any other runners here? (Yes, I guess I can call myself one of them, now, scary thought).

Congratulations, that’s a good time given the conditions and the length of time you’ve been running. Good luck for future events.

Well done you must be well chuffed.

I know have hard it is to get back into any form of fitness routine. Many years ago i used to do a lot of road running but work changed that. Couple of years back bought myself a treadmill and now everyday without fail Mon - Fri do a 9 k run which takes about hour, fill so much better for it and lost about 3 stone.

Hardest thing your find is the batte with yourself, trying skip a day here or there then before you know you,ve gone a whole week with no excerise etc etc, then it’s back to square one.

Well pleased for you as i know know hard it is to start with, keep it up mate London Marathon next year :smiley:

Is this what happens when you’re full of crap? :grimacing:

Well done that’s a big achievement in my eyes, i cant even make it to the top of the stairs without losing my breathe.