Raising trailer legs when using a Terberg

Well started my new job today shunting. Had to do a day training on the Terberg to get signed off on it. I was shocked at the company policy of having to raise and lower the trailer legs each time. Never had to do that before, is this a normal practice now?

I’ve seen it done before and assumed that there had been damage to the load falling backwards if moved in the fully raised position.

Legs need raising if on uneven ground and I believe they should be raised if going on the road. But I never went on road in the tug myself only in the yard.

I’ve got a lot of experience with terbergs/kalmars. Never known any company to stipulate raising of legs. Whats the point in having a terberg then?!

Only time I raise legs is if on the public road, or certain parts of yard can lead to grounding with either the legs or rear underrun. Slight slopes or doors on hills are things to watch out for. A lot of the time you can just raise your trailer suspension though if it’s a really steep incline without bothering about the legs. We’ve got a steep slope on a corner and as I drive past the slope i watch the legs and as they clear the “touch point” I start to lower them maybe 2/3 inches and then watch the underrun bar and as that clears the “touch point” I raise the whole lot up to normal travel height. For me that’s 6 inches of the ground.

I was originally taught to raise the trailer as high as it would go til the raised light illuminated on the tug. After a long time of us all doing it like that, terberg then said that light is the over raised position light and that trailers should only be raised as high as required to clear the ground and only on level ground. If on undulating yards then raise trailer wind legs up and drop back down to travelling height.

So either I was taught wrongly in the first place or terberg talk ■■■■■■

I’ll let people guess what’s the actual truth.

When it was the old Orange and Black North Sea Ferries they had leg winders, so the dock spotters backed under a trailer, a man removed the ships trestle and wound up the legs while the driver connected the airlines, then in the import lanes another man wound down the legs as the driver undid the airlines.

I have never been one for running with raised suspension as it stretches air bags or buggers up load sensor / abs valves in my opinion, rightly or wrongly.

Mystery solved, was told today why we have this policy. It was a driver that bent a trailers legs with the terberg, by running near to a loading bay right outside the transport office where the loading bay ramp meets the flat surface of the yard, he didnt lift the trailer up high enough so the policy of having to wind up the legs was brought in. A bit of a pain but the exercise is good. I feel fitter already.

Yorkshire Tramper:
A bit of a pain but the exercise is good. I feel fitter already.

Not sure…

You’ll feel so chirpy when you’re doing it on a cold windy rainy day.

It doesn’t seem fair to me that because some other bozo messed up, you have to suffer the consequences. I’ve never wound legs up when I’ve shunted. If they told me that at interview I’d be doing that, I’d walk.

Its like everything in transport, dumbed down, the idiots who arn’t capable of adjusting the lift height to cope with passing over uneven ground or ramps are taken as the default driver standard, so the majority of decent drivers who would use their brains arn’t allowed to because an idiot…the company employed…was simply too thick for the job entrusted.
Terberg shunting isn’t for idiots, got to keep mind engaged and visualise how the outfit is riding over anything other than perfectly level ground.

Once again, managing on ‘‘one size fits all based on the lowest common denominator’’, the current standard of modern management methods which has led inexorably to the current transport debacle.

yourhavingalarf:

Yorkshire Tramper:

Not sure…

It doesn’t seem fair to me that because some other bozo messed up, you have to suffer the consequences. I’ve never wound legs up when I’ve shunted. If they told me that at interview I’d be doing that, I’d walk.

If they had let me know that policy, I would not have taken the job either. However it isnt too bad and whilst I am at the trailer brake anyway its only a few winds. Know what you mean weatherwise though, tomorrow is going to be storms!!!

Juddian:
Its like everything in transport, dumbed down, the idiots who arn’t capable of adjusting the lift height to cope with passing over uneven ground or ramps are taken as the default driver standard, so the majority of decent drivers who would use their brains arn’t allowed to because an idiot…the company employed…was simply too thick for the job entrusted.
Terberg shunting isn’t for idiots, got to keep mind engaged and visualise how the outfit is riding over anything other than perfectly level ground.

Once again, managing on ‘‘one size fits all based on the lowest common denominator’’, the current standard of modern management methods which has led inexorably to the current transport debacle.

Aint that the truth Juddian!!! Got to be honest though, I am settling into the job nicely and am actually enjoying it. Its a bit like a honeymoon period from tramping, but glad I made the transition. Just getting used to all the tech, we use radios, an ipad, and yet I still write it all down with a pen and paper!!!

Yorkshire Tramper:

yourhavingalarf:

Yorkshire Tramper:

Not sure…

If they had let me know that policy, I would not have taken the job either. However it isnt too bad and whilst I am at the trailer brake anyway its only a few winds. Know what you mean weatherwise though, tomorrow is going to be storms!!!

Happy…

Shunting mate. :smiley:

yourhavingalarf:
Happy…

Shunting mate. :smiley:

Cheers mate, rather me than you eh?