Raising our image

thats a joke innit?

at least while we have drivers like the one i came across this morning. A312 southbound where it joins the M4. there is a small layby with a burger van with room for 2, maybe 3 trucks at a push. it was full so someone decided to park an artic on the inside lane at 0830 this morning

prat :imp: :imp: :imp:

scanny77:
thats a joke innit?

at least while we have drivers like the one i came across this morning. A312 southbound where it joins the M4. there is a small layby with a burger van with room for 2, maybe 3 trucks at a push. it was full so someone decided to park an artic on the inside lane at 0830 this morning

prat :imp: :imp: :imp:

Class 1, Professional Prat :unamused: :imp:

Our image will never be any good while we are driving thew lorries to feed and clothe people, If they made the lorries smaller about 6" x 6" and invisible to the average motorist they would start to love us.

I saw the same thing about 6 weeks ago on the northbound side. heading for a 10.00am del in Southall I came off the M4 at J3 & the traffic is backed up the slip road now usually you can slip round the inside lane as most of the traffic seems to go right at the roundabout for Heathrow ect . took 10 mins to get onto the A312 WHY because some cakesucker in a white Daf with a container on had stopped on the main carriageway in the inside lane. I thought he must of broken down. As I got nearer he pulled off then lo and behold an identical Daf with a container on pulled out of the layby to follow him :open_mouth: . Is it any wonder the general public think we are scum of the earth when we have ā€œproffesional driversā€ who are so selfish that they couldnt care less about the chaos their actions cause.

keith:
i think most car drivers hate trucks just because they are in their way and slowing them down :unamused:

what a load of rubbish. they are in our way. who keeps crashing? who causes congestion? they are in OUR way mate. how nice would life be if all the cars were taken off the road? :laughing:

actually, probably like the M25 last monday (boxing day). i was heading to the M40 and hit the M25 around 0730. normally that would be choked with cars but i never lost full speed all the way to j16. absolute bliss :smiley:

how nice would life be if all the cars were taken off the road?

Yeah, but how am I going to get home from work?
How about going back to the old days, no heaters, radios, air suspension seats, bring back crash gearboxes and ban curtainsiders, rope and sheet only etc. That would put off the playstaion generation from becoming LORRY drivers, and those that would work 24 hours a day 8 days a week as long as they get the new, flash, shiny Scanny. Dedicated profesional drivers only would be the result, Knights of the Road again.
Or am I a little OTT?
Germ of truth perhaps?
Sits back and waits for flack :open_mouth:
Phil

keith:
i think most car drivers hate trucks just because they are in their way and slowing them down :unamused:

Fair comment! Motorists are forever taking unnecessary risks just to get past a truck!

Freebird:
How about going back to the old days, no heaters, radios, air suspension seats, bring back crash gearboxes and ban curtainsiders, rope and sheet only etc. That would put off the playstaion generation from becoming LORRY drivers, and those that would work 24 hours a day 8 days a week as long as they get the new, flash, shiny Scanny. Dedicated profesional drivers only would be the result, Knights of the Road again.

I think you might be onto something thereā€¦!

Someone told me once (may have been my old dad, long time LORRY driver), there is a minimum standard of driving expected from all drivers, for example my old mum is 82 still drives her little 1985 Micra (25k on the clock), she has never had an accident. I have to sit with her every 6 months for a drive to make sure she is still capable (she insists on this) She isnt going to make a LORRY driver but she is safe and not a danger to herself or others. We as profesionals have to allow for those of lesser ability, look after them if you like, rise above it all.
Remember the thread about whether HGV driving was better years ago, I been thinking about that. i really do believe it was, much harder but you HAD to be professional. One of the differences was you werent chased all the time, you were trusted to take the wagon and get the job done, almost all decisions were yours.
I know we cant go back but I do believe standards have gone down because of the (very nice) wagons that we have now. **TMā€™s know it and exploit it because there is always going to be a driver who sacrifices pay and conditions for the flash motor.**Phil

Freebird:
Yeah, but how am I going to get home from work?

i would have the same problem but then again, i keep trying to p/x my car for my truck anyway. i would be quite happy to have that at home instead :laughing:

invisible to the average motorist they would start to love

You mean we arent already? Number of times people have pulled out in front of you. :unamused:

dennisw1:

invisible to the average motorist they would start to love

You mean we arent already? Number of times people have pulled out in front of you. :unamused:

I think alot of car drivers want to be invisible, they seem to like creeping up the left side & hiding alot. :laughing:

I totaly agree our image is bad and a lot of that is down to chasing our behinds lucky for me i work for a company that lets you get on with it gives you your time to tip and then its away you go and depending if i am on the tippers then i normaly wear clean strides and a shirt or jumper no tie though i think they are dangerous , i think if i look smart it gives you that little bit more of an incentive to do your chosen job properly cos remember no one forced us to take our class one or two :sunglasses: .

keith:

scanny77:

keith:

what a load of rubbish. they are in our way. who keeps crashing? who causes congestion? they are in OUR way mate. how nice would life be if all the cars were taken off the road? :laughing:

actually, probably like the M25 last monday (boxing day). i was heading to the M40 and hit the M25 around 0730. normally that would be choked with cars but i never lost full speed all the way to j16. absolute bliss :smiley:

im just guessing what your average car driver /rep etc is thinking when they see a big smelly truck in front of them!

the mentality seems to be ā€˜gotta get pastā€™ even if they are taking the slip road a couple of hundred yards ahead. instead of waiting a few seconds, they force me to slow down when they cut in. i dont understand this mentality at all. regardless of what i am driving, i plan ahead and act accordingly. dropping a few MPH doesnt bother me when im in my car

brummie:

Freebird:
How about going back to the old days, no heaters, radios, air suspension seats, bring back crash gearboxes and ban curtainsiders, rope and sheet only etc. That would put off the playstation generation from becoming LORRY drivers, and those that would work 24 hours a day 8 days a week as long as they get the new, flash, shiny Scanny. Dedicated profesional drivers only would be the result, Knights of the Road again.

I think you might be onto something thereā€¦!

Thereā€™s an idea! What about a playstation game that meant having to take a truck around a city making deliveries. Youā€™d have all the problems associated with driving around an urban area such as traffic, weight/height restrictions, jobsworth security guards, and so on. The playstation generation would then have some idea of the problems encountered by truck drivers!

On the other hand, it would be great for truck drivers. You could crush cars, run red lights, drive through width/height restrictions, etc. It could possibly be a great form of stress relief without the threat of losing your license!!!

i reckon theres more chance of raising the titanic than raising the lorry drivers image! :laughing: mind you, i couldnt give a hoot for that anyway!

im just wondering what our image is? are we the hard working backbone of the country who keep the shelves and industry stocked or is our sole purpose to go out and hinder other traffic in their hope of arriving before they set off? :confused:

Thereā€™s an idea! What about a playstation game that meant having to take a truck around a city making deliveries

The italian job, you had a section where you had to drive the coach round London, i ended up smashing the thing up a lot of the time! :blush: