Raise suspension, split coupling

How many reverse so far then raise suspension and connect the hoses? Then reverse on and lift suspension so the legs are off the ground and easy to wind in?
They don’t teach you this stuff [emoji1]

Sent from my MRD-LX1 using Tapatalk

At our place, they teach you not to split couple - dismissible offence if caught. Raising the suspension to lift the legs is also taught, mainly because it means you don’t damage the legs if you’re not central, as well as making it easier to wind them up.

Kenny_C:
How many reverse so far then raise suspension and connect the hoses? Then reverse on and lift suspension so the legs are off the ground and easy to wind in?

There’s no need to split couple unless it’s a fridge and the gap between the cab and the headboard means you can’t get to them to put them on.

They don’t teach you it because it’s stupid - if the park brake is off on the trailer as soon as you attach the red airline the trailer can go for a walk.

Lower suspension, reverse so far, lift up suspension so you can see front of trailer go up, reverse all the way back, do tug test. Dog clip, suzies, wind up legs, take park brake off, put numberplate on and do walk round check.

There’s a good reason why they don’t teach this stuff, and that’s because it’s the wrong way to do it.
By all means, raise the suspension before doing the legs, but there should be no need for split coupling. There have been plenty of examples of people being injured and even killed during split coupling because of either trailer or hand brakes not being applied.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Can’t even do fridges, we are shown how to hitch up so the unit is kinked to the right (there’s a skill to that but it’s easy once mastered) or hitch up, hit the shunt button and pull the trailer out, turning unit to the right. Either way it’s so you can connect suzies from the ground.

From what I recall official guidance says that split coupling can only be done if it has been properly trained and a risk assessment done on the site. I’m guessing that means that if it does go wrong then the site cannot be held responsible if they haven’t sanctioned and trained for it on site.

Most modern fridge trailers have their sizes on a rail that can be slid to either side to make coupling or uncoupling possible when standing on the ground, removing any need to go up on the catwalk at all

Terry Cooksey:
Most modern fridge trailers have their sizes on a rail that can be slid to either side to make coupling or uncoupling possible when standing on the ground, removing any need to go up on the catwalk at all

Most are but even when fully over it’s often almost impossible to get enough force behind it to get the inner airline on unless you dump the pressure first.

tallyman:

Terry Cooksey:

Most are but even when fully over it’s often almost impossible to get enough force behind it to get the inner airline on unless you dump the pressure first.

Can dump the pressure easily enough, just turn the ignition off and press the brake pedal until the air is gone. Suzies just slide on then. I can manage to get them on and I have to stretch a fair way since I’m only a short arse!

Split coupling on trailers is banned on every site I’ve been in the past 20 years. Due to the number of people who where killed either by being crushed or runaways, the typically obese driver struggled to to fit in the gap between the truck and fridge trailer to couple the suzies so with the advent of Mavis rails that slide out or suzie arms that swing out on modern trailers (even fridges) negates the need to climb up on the catwalk. OTT Health and safety rules at 3PL sites about working at height now dictate that you don’t have to climb up to get hold of anything above head height.
The Mob I’m working for are having a purge on using BLACK, with spot checks last week with them standing next to everyone returning to the yard while they drop the trailer to ensure that they follow BLACK

Conor:

Kenny_C:

There’s no need to split couple unless it’s a fridge and the gap between the cab and the headboard means you can’t get to them to put them on.

They don’t teach you it because it’s stupid - if the park brake is off on the trailer as soon as you attach the red airline the trailer can go for a walk.

Lower suspension, reverse so far, lift up suspension so you can see front of trailer go up, reverse all the way back, do tug test. Dog clip, suzies, wind up legs, take park brake off, put numberplate on and do walk round check.

It’s not rocket science to get out of the cab prior to attempting to couple and check the trailer brake is on also your forgetting one of the most important parts of coupling which is to also get out of the cab and check at ground level that everything is fine prior to reversing under the trailer.
What happened to BLACK? No need to respond, child like characteristics.

robbo99.:

Conor:

Kenny_C:

It’s not rocket science to get out of the cab prior to attempting to couple and check the trailer brake is on also your forgetting one of the most important parts of coupling which is to also get out of the cab and check at ground level that everything is fine prior to reversing under the trailer.

I totally agree there is nothing wrong with split coupling if it`s done correctly. And to do it correctly is in no way difficult.
But…there is a small number of absolute idiots who need protecting from themselves.
I daresay these “Darwin Award” candidates will find another pathway to death or injury, but stopping split coupling, might just save one or two?

“My name is Franglais, and I am (sometimes) a split-coupler”…and I`m not about to give it up.

robbo99.:

Conor:

Kenny_C:

+1
Check the trailer over before hooking up/going under .
If you split couple and didn’t check the park brake was on, that’s your own stupidity there.

All our trailers have mavis rails,but we have about a dozen brand new rental trailers that don’t.
No company policy regarding hooking up to these.
Just assumed that,as an experienced hgv driver you’ll know how to safely attach a trailer.

Reverse under a trailer at our place without checking the trailer brake and it’s a sacking offence. The Volvo units we mostly have make normal coupling all but impossible - if you’re not as slim as me [emoji6]

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk

Conor:

I would walk round and check the trailer prior to coupling. Then, when connected, finish this off with checking the lights.

Noremac:

Conor:

I would walk round and check the trailer prior to coupling. Then, when connected, finish this off with checking the lights.

Me too - waste of effort coupling up to a defective trailer only to have to uncouple it, go find another and couple up to that one instead.

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

I was taught how to split couple correctly 20 years ago when I worked at Somerfield at Sherburn, as we didn’t have Mavis rails on our fridge trailers, and I am still here.

Ken.

Terry Cooksey:

tallyman:

Terry Cooksey:

Can dump the pressure easily enough, just turn the ignition off and press the brake pedal until the air is gone. Suzies just slide on then. I can manage to get them on and I have to stretch a fair way since I’m only a short arse!

I just go on catwalk & connect as I can’t reach standing on the floor as far too short

peirre:
Split coupling on trailers is banned on every site I’ve been in the past 20 years. Due to the number of people who where killed either by being crushed or runaways, the typically obese driver struggled to to fit in the gap between the truck and fridge trailer to couple the suzies so with the advent of Mavis rails that slide out or suzie arms that swing out on modern trailers (even fridges) negates the need to climb up on the catwalk. OTT Health and safety rules at 3PL sites about working at height now dictate that you don’t have to climb up to get hold of anything above head height.
The Mob I’m working for are having a purge on using BLACK, with spot checks last week with them standing next to everyone returning to the yard while they drop the trailer to ensure that they follow BLACK

BLACK is very really taught these days although should be or better still

KISS keep it simple stupid

animal:
BLACK is very rarely taught these days although should be or better still

KISS keep it simple stupid

I was taught Black last month for my test.