Radio Days

It occurred to me recently whilst listening to a favourite DJ on Radio 2…
Ok, it was Jeremy Vine and I guess now he’s not a DJ , he’s a " Presenter " or " Broadcaster " as they like to be called…
I digress, but my thoughts strayed to older times and the subject of radios in the cab.
In these times of iPhones and iPads etc the modern day truck driver has access to endless music and downloads etc to pass the time.
Back in the day , I can remember going to the library to get a selection of Audio Books on tape…
Sometimes , 8 cassettes in a case. John Le Carre a particular favourite of mine.

Again , I digress.
Nostalgia ( which isn’t the same as Neuralgia, but I am afflicted by both these days. ) has a habit of that.

Anyway. Radios.
I can remember my first Class one job doing night trunk in a 2100 Daf. No radio, so I would take my old Mums transistor ( a Pye ? ) and put it on the dash. You had to turn it around regularly to get reception. After that, a selection of Atkis and ERF’s , again with no radio ( and ■■■■ heaters ) until I was given an F86 Volvo.
In those days you only had Long Wave and Medium Wave and the MW button was missing, so my companion on a 4.a.m start was Ray " somebody " a scouser. Help here please, can’t think of his name.
After that, the great Terry Wogan and then the brummie who lived on a houseboat. Again… Name has gone.

When I progressed to " Kontinental " , we only had Luxembourg with Tony Prince etc ( remembered that one ) or Radio 4… The Archers , World At One etc…and a few good comedy panel shows.
All would disappear around Rennes but then you could get World Service further South, and particularly in the early hours…
" This is the BBC World Service , over to our correspondent in Bombay " , as it was then ) …
They all had great radio voices and kept us going.

And then the joy of finding a U.S. station in Spain…

Happy days.

Cheers, Baldrick.

Happy days…

Balders now you mention radio do you remember when Reader a “calkhead” from the IOW when he drove for us, anyway quite often his Mrs used to get a dedication played on radio Luxembourg to all the Blue and Whites which of course was Davies International. Also remember when I was driving doing traction out of Southampton loads of drivers from our crowd used to park up on a break to listen to the “Archers” think it was on BBC world service and they never missed it, another Mary Hopkins moment Buzzer.

Baldrick1953:
Ok, it was Jeremy Vine and I guess now he’s not a DJ , he’s a " Presenter " or " Broadcaster " as they like to be called…
I digress, but my thoughts strayed to older times and the subject of radios in the cab.
In these times of iPhones and iPads etc the modern day truck driver has access to endless music and downloads etc to pass the time.
Back in the day , I can remember going to the library to get a selection of Audio Books on tape…
Sometimes , 8 cassettes in a case. John Le Carre a particular favourite of mine.

Again , I digress.
Nostalgia ( which isn’t the same as Neuralgia, but I am afflicted by both these days. ) has a habit of that.

Anyway. Radios.
I can remember my first Class one job doing night trunk in a 2100 Daf. No radio, so I would take my old Mums transistor ( a Pye ? ) and put it on the dash. You had to turn it around regularly to get reception. After that, a selection of Atkis and ERF’s , again with no radio ( and [zb] heaters ) until I was given an F86 Volvo.
In those days you only had Long Wave and Medium Wave and the MW button was missing, so my companion on a 4.a.m start was Ray " somebody " a scouser. Help here please, can’t think of his name.
After that, the great Terry Wogan and then the brummie who lived on a houseboat. Again… Name has gone.

When I progressed to " Kontinental " , we only had Luxembourg with Tony Prince etc ( remembered that one ) or Radio 4… The Archers , World At One etc…and a few good comedy panel shows.
All would disappear around Rennes but then you could get World Service further South, and particularly in the early hours…
" This is the BBC World Service , over to our correspondent in Bombay " , as it was then ) …

Happy days.

Cheers, Baldrick.

Happy days…

You might be remembering Ray Teret,D.J for Radio Caroline,Radio Piccadilly and Radio Stoke on Trent,however he’s serving a long jail sentence,having been caught up with that perv Saville.

Can’t recall the Brummie on a houseboat though,sorry!!

David

Alex Lester is a brummie…and i think he lived on a houseboat

Baldrick1953:

Again , I digress.

Anyway. Radios.
I can remember my first Class one job doing night trunk in a 2100 Daf. No radio, so I would take my old Mums transistor ( a Pye ? ) and put it on the dash. You had to turn it around regularly to get reception. After that, a selection of Atkis and ERF’s , again with no radio ( and [zb] heaters ) until I was given an F86 Volvo.

Happy days.

Cheers, Baldrick.

Happy days…

The name of the DJ was Ray Moore. He had a fantastic “radio voice” and a wonderful sense of humour. Sadly he died at a quite young age, ironically given his occupation, of either tongue, or throat cancer. Regards Kev.

Baldrick1953:

Again , I digress.

Anyway. Radios.

Happy days.

Cheers, Baldrick.

Happy days…

Ray Moore. The best there’s ever been, you should read his book, I couldn’t stop laughing for a week. He died from throat cancer and he worked up to about a week before he died. the late GREAT Ray Moore.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ray_Moore … dcaster%29

Let us not forget Shiela Tracy, Truckers hour

Sheila Tracy, I was trying to remember her name. In a previous life she had played saxophone for Ivy Benson’s All-Girl Band.
The sad passing of Ray Moore was instrumental in my giving up the 40 Capstan a day habit.

I thought that I had posted on this topic, then realised that there are two threads running with the same title and I posted on t’other one! Doh!! :unamused:

Pete.

And me :neutral_face:

Buzzer:
Balders now you mention radio do you remember when Reader a “calkhead” from the IOW when he drove for us, anyway quite often his Mrs used to get a dedication played on radio Luxembourg to all the Blue and Whites which of course was Davies International. Also remember when I was driving doing traction out of Southampton loads of drivers from our crowd used to park up on a break to listen to the “Archers” think it was on BBC world service and they never missed it, another Mary Hopkins moment Buzzer.

Ah yes… dear old Reader. A good man to run with.
His CB mantra was " not far now, just round the corner " . A phrase that my daughter remembers from a trip back in 1995…

I might well have heard the shout out for the Blue and Whites but not realised then who they were talking about.

I think the Archers were a mainstay of many drivers days, and probably still are.
Do you still listen JD?

Thanks for all the other replies.
It was of course Ray Moore, I just couldn’t think of the name. As has been said. Great broadcaster, great voice and a great sense of humour . I do recall him being on Wogan shortly before he died.
I will read his book, thanks for the tip.
And yes. Alex Lester…off the wall humour . I passed many a mile with him whilst on containers with silly o’clock starts.

All the best. Balders.

Dear old Ray Moore, one of the best parts of being on early runs, still miss him and his gentle banter.
One morning Terry got stuck in traffic and was late, Ray carried on till Terry arrived, but for the next few weeks Ray would tease Terry mercilessly making little quips along the lines of ‘‘no rush Terry anytime will do’’, very funny man.

Regular listeners will remember his lapsing into song every now and again with his ‘‘my father had a rabbit and he thought it was a duck’’ rendition…youtube.com/watch?v=4xxKB6p8RMs

Still miss Jimmy Young too, the Jeremy Vine show isn’t a patch, and don’t for goodness sake mention Namedropper Feltz i cannot listen to her waffle even for a second.

For me Ray Moore was the daddy, also liked Ken Bruce, Derek Jameson and Sarah Kennedy who sadly, well :frowning: . Midday listening, has to be Jimmy Young, and for late night listening Bob Harris. Going way back Pete Murray, Radio Luxembourg and Simon Dee, Radio Caroline.
Oily

Dave Cash and Roger Scott on 1970’s Capital.

Ray Moore, a brilliant radio presenter, I was on nights in the early 1970s and I recall he presented in the small hours, midnight to 4.00 am if IRC. Also John Dunne, a consumate professional radio broadcaster who also died at quite a young age. After he had retired from the radio it was revealed that he suffered from serious depression, but he never let it affect his broadcasting.

Roger Scott was a great DJ, Jonnie Walker and the great Terry Wogan, the only one worth listening to these days is Ken Bruce, Vine has turned a good show (Jimmy Young) into Jeremy Kyle on the radio, so at the young age of 63 I always take my i-pod with me and rarely listen to the radio, and yes in the 70/80’s I always had a transistor radio with me in various Atki’s, ERF’s and AEC’s which half the time I couldn’t hear anyway!

Carryfast:
Dave Cash and Roger Scott on 1970’s Capital.

I’d forgotten ( like many things these days ) about Dave Cash and Roger Scott. Brilliant. And also Kenny Everett. There was a breakfast show on Capital called Kenny and Cash at one time…

Johnny Walker an all time favourite.

And, I too stopped listening when Sarah Kennedy went. Just so awful that Vanessa Feltz.

As for Jeremy Vine, maybe I’m too easily pleased living here in Ireland. The standard of radio here is abysmal. The first phone in I heard here in County Cork , I truly thought it was a spoof.
Shades of Alan Partridge…