Radio Days

It occurred to me recently whilst listening to a favourite DJ on Radio 2…
Ok, it was Jeremy Vine and I guess now he’s not a DJ , he’s a " Presenter " or " Broadcaster " as they like to be called…
I digress, but my thoughts strayed to older times and the subject of radios in the cab.
In these times of iPhones and iPads etc the modern day truck driver has access to endless music and downloads etc to pass the time.
Back in the day , I can remember going to the library to get a selection of Audio Books on tape…
Sometimes , 8 cassettes in a case. John Le Carre a particular favourite of mine.

Again , I digress.
Nostalgia ( which isn’t the same as Neuralgia, but I am afflicted by both these days. ) has a habit of that.

Anyway. Radios.
I can remember my first Class one job doing night trunk in a 2100 Daf. No radio, so I would take my old Mums transistor ( a Pye ? ) and put it on the dash. You had to turn it around regularly to get reception. After that, a selection of Atkis and ERF’s , again with no radio ( and ■■■■ heaters ) until I was given an F86 Volvo.
In those days you only had Long Wave and Medium Wave and the MW button was missing, so my companion on a 4.a.m start was Ray " somebody " a scouser. Help here please, can’t think of his name.
After that, the great Terry Wogan and then the brummie who lived on a houseboat. Again… Name has gone.

When I progressed to " Kontinental " , we only had Luxembourg with Tony Prince etc ( remembered that one ) or Radio 4… The Archers , World At One etc…and a few good comedy panel shows.
All would disappear around Rennes but then you could get World Service further South, and particularly in the early hours…
" This is the BBC World Service , over to our correspondent in Bombay " , as it was then ) …
They all had great radio voices and kept us going.

And then the joy of finding a U.S. station in Spain…

Happy days.

Cheers, Baldrick.

Happy days…

The ‘scouser’ was the Late Ray Moore and the ‘Brummie’ still is Alex Lester, though he is from Walsall/Hastings. Jeremy Vine is really a political journalist and has had an interesting life, a large part of it in South Africa.

Pete.

Tony Prince there’s a top DJ if ever there was one

SHYTOT:
Tony Prince there’s a top DJ if ever there was one

The Royal ruler :smiley: and Bob Stewart.
What about Stuart Henry the ex R1 jock who went to Lux, he was in a bad way started slurring think he died of MS.
Rob Jones, Dave Christian, Paul Burnett on Lux.
Mark Paige, DLT, Andy Peebles, Mike Reid on R1
Scott Chisolm, Nick Abbot, the late great Mike Dickin, and later Ian Collins on Talk Radio now Talksport.

Remember going with my dad in the mid 70’s radio 2 all day ray moore then wogan Jimmy young diddy david Hamilton and john dunn at teatime?? also a radio soap called waggoners walk. all on the crackling radio above the noise of the mighty perkins 6354 in our dodge k1050 NTC332G

I was listening to jonnie walker’s sound of the 70’s this morning and he said about the time he walked out of radio 1 in 1976 also played most of Bat out of hell just right for driving a empty M56 [emoji48]