Radar detectors

Has anyone on here got a radar detector in their truck,and if so,what model,and what are your opinions of it? :confused:

The reason I ask,is it’s my birthday next week,Wednesday to be precise,and the wife was going to get me a trip in a hot air balloon,but I asked her for something more practical instead,so I decided on a radar detector,but am unsure as to which one. :confused:

A Road Angel or equivalent gps system is out of the question due to price,so I’m looking at something like a Snooper S5-R or a Bel 550.

Before anyone starts saying, ‘Well you shouldn’t speed etc etc,’ yes I agree,but no-one is perfect,and we all creep over the limit from time to time.

Ken.

I sometimes run with a guy who has a radar detector, although highly ilegal in a truck I find it comes in handy because when talking on the CB I hear the thing go off in his cab and know when to take it easy. Now cops have radar detector - detectors, his radar detector has a built in radar detector -detector which can tell if a cop has such a device :exclamation:
Whats next :question: A Radar detector - detector- detector perhaps :question:
:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Ken, Im thinking about getting one meself, so I’ll be interested to read what people that have them allready think.

ive been thinking of getting one for ages.
not for the truck but mainly for my bike (everythings a blur). however ive just sold that, and my car never gets the thrashing it deserves.
but if i was looking at one it would have to be transferable (spelling) between car,truck ,and bike.

Have a look here for detector reviews

ukspeedtraps.co.uk/

and here for camera locations

ukgatsos.com/

simon :sunglasses:

Pat Hasler:
I sometimes run with a guy who has a radar detector, although highly ilegal in a truck I find it comes in handy because when talking on the CB I hear the thing go off in his cab and know when to take it easy. Now cops have radar detector - detectors, his radar detector has a built in radar detector -detector which can tell if a cop has such a device :exclamation:
Whats next :question: A Radar detector - detector- detector perhaps :question:
:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

what a nightmare. you know that he knows that you know that he knows
nowadays you just buy a highly illegal jammer,

The 4 I have in mind are the Snooper S5,the newer Snooper S5-R,the Bel 550,and the new on the market Bel 995.

I cut the item below from one of the sites Simon provided the link for.This may help people a bit when deciding.The product described is the Bell 550,but I think it will be the same for all of the products I’m interested above.

Q. - In the instructions for my Beltronics Bel Target Euro 550 laser / radar detector What is meant by ‘bands’ ?

A. - Bands are frequency ranges used by speed monitoring equipment. These bands have been identified with letters, K / Ka / Ku / X these are the bands most commonly used throughout the world. K is the only band that is in regular use in the UK although Ka and Ku have been used but are now redundant. X is a frequency that is used by equipment such as traffic signals and automatic door. A radar detector that is detecting X band is very susceptible to false alarming.

Q. - The Beltronics Bel Target Euro 550 laser / radar detectors can detect 6 frequency bands, why are so many required ?

A. - K / Ka / Ku / X are the bands most commonly used throughout the world.The radar frequency used in the UK is the K band, it is unlikely you will encounter any other frequency being used by the police. Ka and Ku have been used in the past but are now redundant, although Ku is still in use by Thames valley. The age of the equipment and difficulty to use the KU Speed trap is rarely seen. Beltronics Bel Target Euro 550 laser / radar detector has been designed for the European market and so carries the frequencies that are used on the continent. The additional frequencies will cause the unit to false alarms in the UK as these frequencies are used by such items as traffic lights and automatic doors, the Beltronics Bel Target Euro 550 laser / radar detector instruction manual tells you how to disable the frequencies that are not required for the county you are in. So a detector with 6 bands is not better than a detector with 3 bands, in fact the converse is true.

Ken.

my speed cam detector is is a plug in to my sat nav and uses a gpsdatabase which is free and updated regualy and can be updated by myself as well pound for pound i think this option works out best as is acts as a map to

If you are interested in how the new detectors on the market fare, you’ll want to visit Craig Petersons’ web site by clicking on radartest.com link above.

Craig Peterson, featured writer for Automobile magazine, Road & Track, Car & Driver, etc and THE authority on radar and laser use for speed detection and enforcement.

In Belgium they are illegal.In Holland they are legal.In the UK they might become illegal.
I have seen one where you can fix the sensor behind the grill,and the alarm tucked away under the dash which seem’s more sensible.

Naaah, waste of money. Ive got a couple of old CDs in my windscreen and Ive never been done for speeding.

I`ve never even been pulled by the Vehicle Inspectorate. A couple of old CDs in the screen render your entire vehicle totally invisible to all known means of law enforcement. Pink Floyd and Hawkwind CDs work best, but the giveaway ISP CDs on the front of computer magazines are almost as effective.

Vince

Vince:
Naaah, waste of money. Ive got a couple of old CDs in my windscreen and Ive never been done for speeding.

I`ve never even been pulled by the Vehicle Inspectorate. A couple of old CDs in the screen render your entire vehicle totally invisible to all known means of law enforcement. Pink Floyd and Hawkwind CDs work best, but the giveaway ISP CDs on the front of computer magazines are almost as effective.

Vince

Nooooo you need that special stealth paint that we use half the time i cant even find my own truck its that good, it also raises the rear of the truck so it does’nt look over loaded :wink:

simon

SimonRS2K:
Nooooo you need that special stealth paint that we use half the time i cant even find my own truck its that good, it also raises the rear of the truck so it does’nt look over loaded :wink:

simon

:grimacing: :grimacing: :smiley: :smiley:

Every axle on our trailers is a lift axle and so if I`m overloaded I just lift all three up.

Vince

Vince:
Every axle on our trailers is a lift axle and so if I`m overloaded I just lift all three up.

Vince

Everyone quick vince has admitted being overloaded crucify the criminal :wink: :smiley: :smiley:

simon

i use my sat nav it uses updates but tells me where the cams are including mobile ones sometimes in fact most of the time mobile ones aint there but i can put up with that you can get it from here costs about 20 quid for year
checkpoint.oabsoftware.nl/ for tomtom2

Anyone have a idea about this■■?

safeplate.co.uk/

I haven’t looked into it! but thoughts please!!!

also here

ukspeedtraps.co.uk/

I had one in the car, it lasted 3 weeks and then i took it back.
A complete and utter waste of £200 from halfords for something that sits there and beeps and beeps and beeps regardless so you are constantly on tender hooks, they pick up signals from all sorts such as cctv cameras in the area etc etc, save your money they are utter shíte.

And the best speed detector on a bike is a small number plate stuck on with velcro :stuck_out_tongue:

oops, its fallen off occifer :blush:

Why dont you just obey the speeed limits?, that way you save £200+ on a detector and you also save a lot more on your fines and get no points on your licence its the ONLY fail safe method.