Race Transporter

Hope this is the right place to post and apologies in advance for noob posting. Not rolling in cash but managing to get by in club level motorsport. Really want to try and do things properly and get a second hand transporter. I dont want to fall foul of VOSA and would also be carrying a mate’s car. In the future there might be the odd trip into Europe as well. Appreciate its absolute minefield so just wanted to sound the Pros out about what type of truck to be looking for…found the following on eBay which seems do a lot for £6 - 7k…i.e. decent size (should be able to fit and legally carry two cars with a pivot inside the box), decent tail lift, not too old, air suspension etc etc.

Im complete idiot with trucks but willing to learn and would really appreciate some pointers?

2003 MAN 12.225 12t 28ft Box Van with a Living/Bathroom Section and large Cantilever Tail Lift

• 28ft GRP box with side access
  • Surprisingly economical 6350cc Diesel engine, 225bhp
  • Pneumatic height adjustable air suspension
  • Very large hydraulic tilting tail lift, 1500kg capacity
  • Huge load capacity, perfect for many applications
  • All terrain road going tyres on rear axle, perfect if used on soft ground
  • Removable tow bar with towball and single electrics
  • Electrical isolator switch
  • Full service history
  • New exhaust
  • Driver and 2 passenger seats
  • Cruise control, can be used to set revs on idle
  • Speed limiter, 90km/h set
  • Analogue tachograph
  • 10-weekly operator license inspections
  • Well maintained, all issues resolved
  • MOT until April 2013

The first thing I see is that it’s out of MOT, so there’s a cost to you straight away.

Ken.

That doesn’t look great value to me I think there’s a big premium (which is what tends to happen) for it being either converted or part-converted for motor racing use.

I would get an 18 tonner as there’s no real difference in licence or operating costs if it’s occasional type use. There will be an endless choice of ok early 2000’s 18 ton box vans around for the £3-4k mark which leaves a kitty for doing any work needed. Having said that if vat is an issue you may be better buying privately, I would say mostly you will get a poorer vehicle privately though albeit at a 20% discount.

As mentioned there’s no MOT on that, if they won’t put it through one it’s guaranteed work needs doing.

Im involved in national hot rods. we have a x 3663 scania 280 18 tonne converted to a transporter. also has 6 bunk beds for the team and is now classed as a motor home. keep an eye on www.nationalhotrod.com there is normally quite a few already converted ones for sale.

r slicker:
Im involved in national hot rods. we have a x 3663 scania 280 18 tonne converted to a transporter. also has 6 bunk beds for the team and is now classed as a motor home. keep an eye on nationalhotrod.com there is normally quite a few already converted ones for sale.

And they say theres no money in transport. :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Always a few for sale on Stoxnet too.

Thanks for the replies. Food for thought. MOT would be a condition and while 18ton would make sense I would have thought that at 12t there would be sufficient payload left for two cars and tools etc? (obviously need to do some digging).

What I was really looking for was any advice on do and dont get that type of truck. e.g. dont think LEZ would be an issue as it will be kept outside London and will just be going to and from race tracks…however are there any other statutory issues that could get in the way? especially if its doing the odd trip to Belgium? Is there a particular size where ferry charges step up or is there new emissions or other rulings coming into play over the next few years that would mean that a truck of this age/spec would become redundant

Silly thought- have you the relevant driving licence?

Same as me, well almost! I’m bikes…

Just bought an 18t rigid from a guy who races Radical cars and it’s all kitted out for us.

Best bit of advice is look around on ebay and the dedicated motorsport webpages. Our criteria was good space and comfort as we’ve got twin daughters, and then the rest kind of fell into place after that.

Dave