RAC Rip-off !

Just had a letter from the RAC inviting me to pay approximately 11.5% extra for my breakdown/recovery service.I don’t have a problem with this as I’m sure my gaffer will respond in a similar manner to make sure I don’t find myself out of pocket. :confused:

I used to be with the RAC, then one day my old Mazda over heated in Weedon on the A5 one Saturday afternoon, I called the RAC because I had no tools with me. The RAC man came out after an hour complaining that he had been watching a rugby match and I had dragged him away. A small pipe had fractured and could be recified by cutting off 2 inches and stretching it to refit it. He was very angry and said he couldn’t fix it, I used his tools and did it myself as he watched. I went home cancelled my membership and joined the AA. :sunglasses:

I’ve had to call the RAC out today. :frowning: I phoned the number and the operator took my details and told me it might be a 2 hour wait, however the van arrived in half and hour and within 10 minutes the mechanic had diagnosed water pump problem. So asked me where I wanted to it taken and even though it was over the distance they are supposed to tow a vehicle and call a recovery truck instead, he towed my car to save me waiting for hours for a truck to arrive. I do wince at the cost of membership, especially when I havent used the service for more than 6 or 7 times in 15 years, but a couple of these were stuck 100’s of miles from home and each time I’ve need them I have got very good service.

When you own a ford you will understand that the RAC are life savers :open_mouth:

simon

You will usually find that getting your breakdown cover via your insurance company is by far and away cheaper than using the big 2 companies.

I have the equivalent top RAC/AA cover from my insurer,and it costs me about £80. (I believe the RAC/AA cover is about £120+) Yes granted,the people who do come to you are usually from the likes of Green Flag etc,but I know the RAC use agents as well when they are busy,and it may well be the same one who comes to you who is also contracted to one of the other companies anyhow.And usually the agents advertise on their vehicles who they do work for.

Ken.

Wife and I both used to be in the RAC, but they were too expensive. Only time we needed them the guy who came out was great.

We were on holiday in the Lakes.Wifes car had the engine management light showing and a bit of a knocking noise from the engine, he thought it needed the fuel pump reset. He arranged for the car to be taken to the Peugeot dealer in Carlise to have it done.

While he was organising the recovery he made good use of his compressor to blow up my Colmans Captain Chair for me. :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

I never use to belong to any of the breakdown services untill I did some recovery work & heard how much it costs to DIY, even a small local recovery can cost several hundred.

As an after thought, we did work for bith the RAC & the AA & complaints & praise were similar for both.

I was a member of the r.a.c. but when they increased my membership fees i cancelled…i thought it was unfair because i had never used them…i joined International breakdown and i get free service right across europe for £100 and thats for my motorhome…
have a nice day