R500 vs fh480/520

460MC:
I was under the understanding the 480 520’s are the same engine just different chips though?
I ask because Iv been from Norfolk to Milan and now I’m at Macon 32 ton gross down same back and my 54 plate fh 460 computers reading 7.8 mpg so actual mpg probably nearer the 7.4 mark. It was windy on the way down but even so think this old girls costing me money now but don’t want to upgrade to a equally bad motor.

iirc correctly coffeeholics fh420 and i think he had a 380 were doing 10mpg on euro work at low weights 28/30 tonish. i would expect a lot more on long haul stuff.

The fh520 is deffo not turbocompound,that was the 12ltr 500,i ran a 500 for 5yrs from new on general and tanks 7 days a week and fuel average over that time was 8.3mpg,turbo blew at 980,000ks and damaged compounder,that was the only time it cost a lot of money,sold it last year and its still running distance work(still on original clutch btw,i-shift gearbox helps that).Been driving a variety of scannys since then and aint been impressed with any of them,buy class-buy volvo,end of!

Davyboy:
The fh520 is deffo not turbocompound,that was the 12ltr 500

In that case I stand corrected, I had wrongly assumed (and indeed been told by others) that the 520 was an evolution of the 500TC unit. :blush:

Begs the question then, why do they tend to be so heavy on fuel when on average work? I’ve had this first hand from several people who run the 520 engine, both in Volvo’s and Magnums, and all say they are thirsty unless driven very carefully.

I would personnally go for a fh480,pull like trains and good on fuel,a mate of mine has the newer fh500 ad blu and really impressed with fuel,i havnt driven one so dunno.I honestly dont know why evrybody raves about scania,maybe i’m missing something :laughing:

Gogan:

Davyboy:
The fh520 is deffo not turbocompound,that was the 12ltr 500

In that case I stand corrected, I had wrongly assumed (and indeed been told by others) that the 520 was an evolution of the 500TC unit. :blush:

Begs the question then, why do they tend to be so heavy on fuel when on average work? I’ve had this first hand from several people who run the 520 engine, both in Volvo’s and Magnums, and all say they are thirsty unless driven very carefully.

My FH13 520 had averaged 8mpg overall from new, then I got it & that all changed…

What work was it on before? What are you running it on?

Gogan:
What work was it on before? What are you running it on?

It was on fridges before it retired over to Me, I run it with an extendable semi with ramps, dead weight of the trailer is 12.5t that & the ramps stuck in the air don’t help the mpg…

R500 or FH 480,discount the 520 revolver. My 2 cent’s worth is, Scania are the truck to beat from a manufacturer’s angle but sadly they where beat some 10 year’s ago by Volvo then Daf then Mercedes :slight_smile:
I am a Merc fan but the V8Actros cannot pull or be as frugal as the swedish equivelant-period. It seem’s Merc now accept this and the V8/6 will soon be no more,i’m only glad i have a V6 Merc and get to experience the last of the old school engine’s.When we all look back nostralgia will provail :wink:

fly sheet:
It was on fridges before it retired over to Me, I run it with an extendable semi with ramps, dead weight of the trailer is 12.5t that & the ramps stuck in the air don’t help the mpg…

I suppose the question is, are you happy with the fuel consumption or do you wish you had bought something else?

With a trailer that tares at 12.5t, along with the unit you must tare at around 21-22t, and Since you use an extender I assume you carry some heavy kit at times, which presumably means STGO plated with such a high tare, so do you think an FH16 would have been a better bet?

I know ■■■■ all but i would go for a R500. I think the 16L scania gives better mpg than a 16L volvo, and the entry level V8 will be more reliable than the top end volvo six pot. It takes less stress for 16L to produce 500bhp Than it does 13L with turbo fannying, simpler = more reliable= less time off the road= more money. V8 can be economical with the right driver, and as it sounds like your paying your own fuel bill then i guess you would be that driver. Added bonus you get to listen to a nicer engine note all day.

Listening to the V8 engine note will have the biggest impact on mpg, I think everyone who’s ever had a V8 will have achieved some really poor fuel figures for the first couple of weeks, I know I did, especially in tunnels :laughing:

Gogan:

fly sheet:

I suppose the question is, are you happy with the fuel consumption or do you wish you had bought something else?

With a trailer that tares at 12.5t, along with the unit you must tare at around 21-22t, and Since you use an extender I assume you carry some heavy kit at times, which presumably means STGO plated with such a high tare, so do you think an FH16 would have been a better bet?

I’ve had a 16, the one I had was good on fuel, if I had my pick I would choose a 16litre Volvo over a Scania V8 but thats just Me, I highly abbused My last Volvo which was a 460 version 1 & I doubt the equivalent style Scania would have been as good at the job. Not mechanically just the bodywork etc, if they’ve not got a straight beam axle on they sit too low, that said this 13 I have is much lower than my 12 was. I suppose I just live with the fuel it goes with the terrortiry & yes I am 21t empty. I personally think a Volvo makes a better road/site lorry. My mates got a FH480 & he gets terrific mpg, so if it was 44t on general I’d plump for an FH480 myself. I like to think I bought the right lorry but I prefer the version 1 to the version 2 but thats down to Euro 2 went far enough with technology.

newmercman:
Listening to the V8 engine note will have the biggest impact on mpg, I think everyone who’s ever had a V8 will have achieved some really poor fuel figures for the first couple of weeks, I know I did, especially in tunnels :laughing:

and town centres, truckstops, services, the yard, anywhere you see someone you know (especially if they only have a straight 6) :stuck_out_tongue: :blush: :blush: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

now this is information that I have heard from the boss and may be worth repeating here for your information.
The boss is looking to replace a 480 superspace daf that has 1.4 million kms on it . one of the options was a Scania 560 ( 4x2 )on lease - I’m not going to repeat prices etc but the rep promised us that on the work we do ( fridges around 25-30 ton gross) we would get 11mpg . No idea if that could be acheived or not but i know I could push 9.4 mpg out of the daf.
It may be something you may wish to look into .

beefy4605:
now this is information that I have heard from the boss and may be worth repeating here for your information.
The boss is looking to replace a 480 superspace daf that has 1.4 million kms on it . one of the options was a Scania 560 ( 4x2 )on lease - I’m not going to repeat prices etc but the rep promised us that on the work we do ( fridges around 25-30 ton gross) we would get 11mpg . No idea if that could be acheived or not but i know I could push 9.4 mpg out of the daf.

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: Is it all downhill then :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

billybigrig:

beefy4605:

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: Is it all downhill then :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

i know a company that have got an R560 topline on fridges, the driver said he gets 7.5MPg, but the boss says that figure is incorrect, it is actually 7.0MPg :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

billybigrig:

beefy4605:

Nope - good mix of roads from nasty A roads to motorway driving .Set work - ie the truck is doing the same run 7 days a week -very similar weights both ways so easy to make comparisons . There is only 2 drivers on the run and we are both a bit on the competitive side when it comes to miles / gallon.
I know it all sounds a bit ■■■■ to most of you but I take a pride in returning good mpg figures from the lorry I drive but it paid off . We were pulled in and told that because the fuel returns were so good we would be getting a bit more money every week - result an extra £50 for me per week :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

shuttlespanker:
i know a company that have got an R560 topline on fridges, the driver said he gets 7.5MPg, but the boss says that figure is incorrect, it is actually 7.0MPg :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

Well we will find out in a couple of weeks time - got one coming to try out . :exclamation:

shuttlespanker:

billybigrig:

beefy4605:

our 580’s are getting mid 8’s

dbt:
our 580’s are getting mid 8’s

yeah, but what was one of them getting when you know who was driving it? :unamused: