R440 OR R420

Hi, i recently took two R440 Scania 6x2 tractor units on long term hire to do tipper work(44tons), they have the 13 litre euro 5 egr engines, they are doing around 6.5mpg, the hire company can also offer me two new R420’s with the 12 litre euro 5 scr engines, i was wondering can anyone tell me if the 12 litre 420hp euro 5 scr engine would be more fuel efficient than the 13 litre 440hp euro 5 egr engine?

Short answer is yes they will be.

Hi dont get the 420,s as they are under powered for 44 ton tipper work.I work for a quarry firm that has 3 of these wagons (58 reg) that run 3 axle units and 3 axle trailers no power and have rubbish fuel returns. Always get wagons on top of there job as ours are definitely are not !!!

sayley-boy:
Hi dont get the 420,s as they are under powered for 44 ton tipper work.I work for a quarry firm that has 3 of these wagons (58 reg) that run 3 axle units and 3 axle trailers no power and have rubbish fuel returns. Always get wagons on top of there job as ours are definitely are not !!!

That was my first thought, at 420 they are below 10bhp per tonne.

Not fancy an R620? :laughing:

dew:

sayley-boy:

That was my first thought, at 420 they are below 10bhp per tonne.

Not fancy an R620? :laughing:

Bugger that, why settle for less than a 730■■ :open_mouth:

Ross.

Unless you’re climbing up and down a mountain each day. I would listen to Bigtruck. 420 not enough for 44t? :open_mouth:
I was getting over 7MPG out of a 360bhp 85 DAF at 44t and that was over the M62 every day. I was only a few minutes behind the 460 roadhaus come tea time as well.