R j jones transport

morning gents,does anyone have any knowledge of the above please, the usual,pay conditions etc,thanks in advance :smiley:

The only R J Jones Iā€™ve seen are in Cardiff dock, the fleet looks ok and got a lot of flat beds, also on their units it says Europe so donā€™t know wether they do or not, sorry not much help really.

they run out of wards near scarborough, i got speaking to one of their driver whilst waiting for a MOT about 2 years ago. he was on a day rate somewhere in the Ā£80ā€™s then an extra tenner when pulling an extender and Ā£20 extra i think, when pulling a steering extender. he seemed happy enough.

i did the job for a few months on agency when stillers had the contract and really liked it.

stevie

is that the same jones steve?this one is based in north wales with white motors n blue lettering.

hothow44:
is that the same jones steve?this one is based in north wales with white motors n blue lettering.

yeah thatā€™s them

stevie

oh rite sounds interesting didnt know they were into that stuff,cheers :smiley:

Donā€™t they have some steel contract in S.Wales, run out of Masonā€™s old yard in Newport.

bald bloke:
The only R J Jones Iā€™ve seen are in Cardiff dock, the fleet looks ok and got a lot of flat beds, also on their units it says Europe so donā€™t know wether they do or not, sorry not much help really.

is cardiff not in europe then :question:

green456:

bald bloke:

is cardiff not in europe then :question:

Iā€™m not sure not good on geography :confused:

Iā€™ve done work for them (out of greenfield) before as a subby. Work is easy enough, deliver the panels to building sites and usually empty back. The trailers were mostly old and tatty but that has all changed now with decent kit. They bought a firm in Northampton that did Euro traction work (DRS I think). The lads in greenfield dont go over as far as I know. All the euro work is done by norfolk line and P&O.
This was all a couple of years ago but I doubt much has changed. I do know Iā€™ve never ever seen them advertise for drivers which is usually a good sign.

I was working for them on agency on steel contract in Neath.Daily rate Monday-Friday about 75Ā£ (298Ā£ take home per week for 52h :open_mouth: ) for 10h shifts, very easy work- waiting for load/unload at least an hour :slight_smile:.They taking on agency all the time- rswltd.co.uk/vacancy/88-hgv- ā€¦ eath-wales.

art84:
I was working for them on agency on steel contract in Neath.Daily rate Monday-Friday about 75Ā£ (298Ā£ take home per week for 52h :open_mouth: ) for 10h shifts, very easy work- waiting for load/unload at least an hour :slight_smile:.They taking on agency all the time- rswltd.co.uk/vacancy/88-hgv- ā€¦ eath-wales.

crap wages thenā€¦

they load a lot out of celsa steel in cardiff, you can easy get a 6 to 8 hr in there, just to get loaded, another job we threw in ! :smiley: :smiley: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

lgamston:

art84:

crap wages thenā€¦

Those are agency rates. fulltime drivers are on considerably more.

The work is 100% legal. No speeding no tipping on break. 90% london work and lots and lots of sitting around.

daleyboy:

lgamston:

art84:

crap wages thenā€¦

Those are agency rates. fulltime drivers are on considerably more.

The work is 100% legal. No speeding no tipping on break. 90% london work and lots and lots of sitting around.

Fulltime class 1 Holywell and Sherburn are on a crap Ā£87 day rate rigids considerably less, wellingbro and cardif are on Ā£100 day rate.

Now imposing a no speeding rule, 40mph on single carriageway roads and only 50 on dual carriageways.

I worked for R J Jones full time, the pay is salaried and is paid every month, well the first pay it is 5 weeks, they pay the night out allowance every week and expenses. The type of work is now mostly Steel re-bar & Cut and bent for construction sites around the UK from BRC and Express Re-enforcement so expect London Central this includes extended trailers of 22 meter plus. Although the company is well run a lot of drivers are blue eyes so expect your loads to be changed at the last minute for a bad run ā€œbeing London 2x dropsā€ on a friday there is too much picking and choosing between drivers thatā€™s why I extended my middle finger to all drivers working there, I was hitting around 70+ working hours a week average and average 40+ hours driving so expect long days and a lot of waiting around being loaded and unloaded, Typical unloading time in canary wharf is around 5 hours +, typical start times can be anything from 2am to 6am start times, They did have the contract for Kingspan although not 100% sure but was told that the contract had not been continued, so most of the work in Wales is about 99% steel cut & bent so expect to get dirty and expect bad days. I worked for them twice and they are strict on tacho so if you run bent do not work for these as they do report you to VOSA if you run over you hours and driving time, breaks are how you work them as long as your not over your time. They also deliver for Cross Rail so expect them also, you do get back loads but not often but do expect it, they are based in Cardiff Docks and the main head office is in Hollywell, they do rope and sheet some loads not all and expect several deliveries, typical run for me would be Chertsey, East bow and canary wharf on a 15 hour then run back empty to Cardiff to do stock transfer and run back to London for another 2 drops Central London which was St pauls and Waterloo rate the company out of 10 Iā€™d give them 6, donā€™t expect too much pay is above average working conditions strict on H&S Tacho regā€™s, too many drivers picking and choosing, modern fleet new trailers do hire a few on very big contracts mostly Volvo and Man do have some Scania, pulling regular 44T they carry almost anything but they do have the main contract for express reinforcements, and donā€™t expect too much from other drivers, Iā€™ve worked for Ken Jones Transport now Keedwell compared to Ken Jones Iā€™d rate Ken Jones out of 10 Iā€™d give them 8. R J Jones do use a lot of agency drivers and there is a good turn over of staff ā€œDriversā€ so expect new faces every week to my knowledge no drivers done European work but they do so Iā€™ve been told where from god knows, they donā€™t argue over paying Services you pay it then they pay you back week later thatā€™s is only the really thumbs up for these is that you get over Ā£100 per week then you get your monthly salary paid to you every month Ā£22,000+ per year

Do you know John Lewis, an ex Rae logistics driver from that portacabin on a farm at Bromham near Devizes?

Done a couple of weeks in there as agencyā€¦ Was tramping, decent enough work, and the kit was a mixture of scanny high lines some mans, volvos, and a few old actrossā€™s some good some very very poor. I was in at desbroughā€¦ They were good enoughā€¦ Personally I thought the pay was very poor Ā£87 for new starters I be leave and 20 n/o! They do european work, but only pulling nagel trailers. And the kingspan worked has slowed as p&o have taken half of it or something, donā€™t know the ins and outs. They do have steel contracts in south wales, and there cardiff depot is in cardiff docks.
I defo wouldnā€™t say I was a bad place to work though. Think they are looking for drivers.

I believe that P&O only do the international for kingspan, they took it from Norfolk line who did it before. RJJ still do all the domestic from kingspan Holywell as far as I know.

P&O do both international and uk jobs for Kingspan Sherburn /Holywell now and put a lot of UK work out to various Subbies although I have seen there Yellows on UK delivery sites too .