R.H.A. are a bit worried

express.co.uk/news/uk/727421 … d-Sterling

Good. As the article says, they send their wages home, exploiting cheap living here in hmo’s or their trucks, living like kings for £25 a week in Lidl etc. You will never meet a tighter person than an Eastern European. Hopefully the wages will go up if there is a shortage

Hope most of them do go home,wages will probably go up then…
It doesn’t look good for our industry when a British haulier turns up to deliver with a driver who can’t speak the language and dressed in sports directs finest seconds :confused:
When on European work I didn’t speak all the languages but I wasn’t living in those country’s.

Hiring Britons to do the job instead has proved so difficult that last year one jobs agency offered truckers from Bulgaria, Poland and Romania who already work in the UK £100 for each of their compatriots they lured across the Channel to work.

My agency does that anyway for anyone who I recommend who works there a minimum 6 weeks. They’ve done it for years, referral bonuses are nothing new with agencies.

Maybe if RHA members put wages up to reflect the true value of the job and stopped the asinine practice of doing things having shifts starting in the middle of the night and working people right up to the max then more people may be interested in taking up the job.

Given that the pound has fallen, what are the consequences?
Foreign persons coming into the Uk to work will be less (relatively) well paid. So more jobs for UK workers living in the UK? Seems so, then maybe UK hauliers will pay more?? Im not holding my breath on that one tho! Rates (in £) will be less attractive to foreign hauliers. But UK hauliers going into Eu will have their peage and fuel costs increase too. No net gain there, Id suggest. Maybe “cabotage” type operations will be less attractive to outsiders?
Rates paid in Euros will be better for UK hauliers, so maybe a bit of benefit there for the UK International hauliers? Although that would be offset against higher costs?

Bye bye. Dont let the ■■■■■■ door hit you on the way out

If the pound drops enough I’m sure they’ll be fine with us going over there and doing all the driving jobs and sending the money home.

"And the respected Road Haulage Association (RHA) industry body warned that company bosses are now worried that the readily available pool of foreign workers will dry up post-Brexit. "

Running out of people to exploit, tut-tut that won’t do at all!

Also"The respected RHA", comedy gold!

Sent from my X17 using Tapatalk

Own Account Driver:
If the pound drops enough I’m sure they’ll be fine with us going over there and doing all the driving jobs and sending the money home.

Yes, I can just see that happening… Don’t think that would go do too well in Poland :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

It’s a shame that ■■■■■■■ useless ■■■■ Tomasz Kroker didn’t sod offski home, then we wouldn’t be funding his time eating porridge and dodging the broom handle. The amount of excrement left in laybys and outside one of my customers roller shutters will decrease if all these cheap “yes boss job good” types ■■■■ off home.
To the average driver, the RHA are as much use as a chocolate tea pot only there to cry and whinge on behalf of greedy company directors who want to keep wages down. The same applies to the FTA.

Own Account Driver:

As we did in the 80s and 90s, with the Dutch companies employing UK drivers. And remember those USA companies advertising for Brits to go there and keep their drivers` wages lower?

Franglais:

Own Account Driver:

As we did in the 80s and 90s, with the Dutch companies employing UK drivers. And remember those USA companies advertising for Brits to go there and keep their drivers` wages lower?

Good luck with getting work status to drive a truck in the US or Australia or NZ.As for Canada even that’s only a relatively recent thing while a quick read of the ex pats forum will make it clear that Brits aren’t going there to maintain a pool of cheap labour.If anything they are trying to create higher standards than the locals are in than regard.On that note it seems strange as to why the UK government is so keen on free movement of East Euro and third world immigration here but not so keen on free movement between the uk and its old colonies.

Carryfast:

Franglais:

Own Account Driver:

Good luck with getting work status to drive a truck in the US or Australia or NZ.As for Canada even that’s only a relatively recent thing while a quick read of the ex pats forum will make it clear that Brits aren’t going there to maintain a pool of cheap labour.If anything they are trying to create higher standards than the locals are in than regard.On that note it seems strange as to why the UK government is so keen on free movement of East Euro and third world immigration here but not so keen on free movement between the uk and its old colonies.

80s and 90s

Franglais:

Carryfast:

80s and 90s

Still no chance of getting into the US or Oz or NZ as a Brit driver at that time or now.Nor Canada either at least in the 1980’s.

Carryfast:

Franglais:

Carryfast:

80s and 90s

Still no chance of getting into the US or Oz or NZ as a Brit driver at that time or now.Nor Canada either at least in the 1980’s.

I do remember some mates going to the USA in the 90s for sure. They went out initially thro a US employment agency I think. Some became employees there, at least one an owner/operator. Some stayed, some returned. Ditto for Holland in the 90s, and I seem to remember some working for the Dutch in the later half of the 80s.

It’s tellibg, all this crying from the RHA. They know the job is crap and that they can’t attract British drivers and now EE drivers are waking up to the fact that it’s a crap job. The RHA and who they represent are panicking, they are raking in cash by driving down costs and wages but as more and more drivers leave the industry there isn’t anyone to replace them.

You only really hear all this crying and whining from the big shots who rely on cheap labour, not the ones that pays well.

Franglais:

Carryfast:

I do remember some mates going to the USA in the 90s for sure. They went out initially thro a US employment agency I think. Some became employees there, at least one an owner/operator.

Meanwhile in the real world.Nothing has changed since 1990 in that regard with a few exceptions very recently of attempts by certain employers.In which there’s been no actual confirmation that the US immigration rules have actually allowed the employers in question to circumvent,or set any precedents regarding,the rules as they stand.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Immigration_Act_of_1990

immigration-aux-usa.com/empl … visas.html