R.D Chisholm of Wheathampstead, are they still going?

My Dad worked nights for Dave in the mid 80’s, i used to go with him somenights and if i remember rightly the job was collecting sand from sheerness and tipping at united glass harlow. I still remember the red hot bottles going past on a conveyor belt. I had a few trips out in the bonneted man and remember it being a bit spartan inside compared to the 112. I mentioned to dad about the problems with the scania and he thinks it was eventually traced to a gearbox/engine mount being fitted in the wrong orientation and causing vibration. Dave had the scania and the man fitted with limiters but dad new how to get past them using a bootlace!. I seem to recall a few dafs in the yard also. The last i heard of Dave was that he had moved upto the fens.

Well theres a name from the past, Dave Chisholm was a good bloke, gald to hear he’s still apparently kicking about.
I worked for his brother Ted who ran the vans out of Wheathampstead back in the 70’s before i gained a class 1, Ted was a real character too.

This forum brings memory triggers regularly.

Thanks for the further information chaps.

Apart from the MAn and some Scanias I seem to remember them operating at least two DAF artics possibly 2500 or 2800 models.

Do you remember what else they ran and if you have any pics please put them up.

Ive reposted the ERF eight wheeler as the earlier pic seems to have disappeared.

Cheers Mark

Fast forward to 5.2O and you briefly see the ERF tow truck youtu.be/vYTa1ESfSmk

Regards Daz

sammyopisite:
Dave Chisholm was a top stock car driver in the 70s and was regularly up in the north racing

Glad to say Dave Chisholm can still be seen regularly spectating at stock car meetings in the Midlands. According to a Promoters website Dave was booked to drive a Heritage Brisca F1 stockcar at Coventry Stadium yesterday evening [a replica of the car which Dave won 3 consecutive World Championships in during the 1970s].

this is the man in question, c350 hpp, its now in west Africa, we bought it from jack eames then we sold it on here in 94 and it got sent to Africa a couple of year later, dad and granddad regretted selling it soon afterwards

Hi Steptoe

Good to see a pic of the old girl, if I think it used to be white when my dad drove for Dave.

Regards
Daz

Would that have been roger bowman or steve clark by any chance?

Does anybody remember this firm?

They latterly ran a fleet of smart red ERF tippers, but in the 80s they had a bonnetted MAN artic tipper… what happened to that?

Also, I remember that at Truckfest one year they had an R cab 112 or 142 Scania on display with which they had obviously had some problems.
Posted up on the windscreen was a list of their troubles and Scania’s response, or in their eyes lack of it.

I think Scania may have been a sponsor that year and there were a few fireworks… Does anybody remember?

Haven’t seen them about for years, are they still operating?

Roadcommander, I passed there yard every day on my way to Luton Airport, they were based in Wheathampstead on the lower luton road near Welwyn Garden City, I left luton airport in 1993 and they were gone and houses were being built i think! There was some worry in the local papers as there was some contaminated land. I do remember the bonneted MAN artic tipper but i don’t remember what else they ran??
regards Nicholas

Thanks for the info Nicholas.

The last new vehicle that I know they put on was a sleeper cabbed eight wheel ERF E series tipper on an H plate.

So they may well have finished around 1993/4.

Mark

Just waking this sleeping post up in case any of the newer members can add any info.

Chisolm’s had a very unusual ERF 4 wheel wrecker based on a KV I think with coach style bodywork.
It was on the vintage scene at one stage but I havent seen it in a while, anybody know what happened to it?

Cheers
Mark

The wrecker was ex Northampton Corporation Transport who built the body. I haven’t seen it around for a few years now. I think it was sold on by Chisholms to someone around the Milton Keynes area.

I found a pic of the ERF wrecker, not sure where the image came from so if its yours, apologies

After disappearing for a long time I came across it at the Rushden Cavalcade earlier this year.

Also, I;ve just come across this pic of their highly specced ERF, anyone know what happened to it?

Once again if anyone has any other pics of the fleet please post them.

Cheers
Mark

Dave Chisholm was a top stock car driver in the 70s and was regularly up in the north racing