Quicky regarding tramping and reducing rest

I don’t do a lot of tramping but need some cash so taking it easy dragging Amazon trailers around for a couple of weeks. (60+ hours but about a quarter is sat in service stations waiting for booking times).
Anyway because I don’t usually do a lot of hours I’ve never really had to grasp reducing rest periods. Just wondering because I worked 15 hours yesterday, reduced last night (9 hours between shifts) will be doing the same today and plan on doing it Friday night so I can earn some sweet double time working elsewhere. Its just the fact I did the 15 hour day as well that’s concerning me… In my mind 1 x 15 hour shift plus reducing to 9 hours x 3 = reducing rest 4 times altogether?

It’s simple if you cannot have 11 hours off in a 24 hr period you’ve used a RDR (reduced daily rest)

It doesn’t matter if you’ve worked 13hrs and 5 mins that day is an RDR of which you can have only three in a fixed weekly period…

Reef:
It’s simple if you cannot have 11 hours off in a 24 hr period you’ve used a RDR (reduced daily rest)

It doesn’t matter if you’ve worked 13hrs and 5 mins that day is an RDR of which you can have only three in a fixed weekly period…

Thanks for the reply. I get that part, but is the 24 hour period from 0000 to 2359? E.g. If I worked from 0600 to 2100 yesterday, had 9 off, started at 6 today but only worked until 12 then had a normal rest period, is that one reduced rest or two?

Twiglet015:

Reef:

Thanks for the reply. I get that part, but is the 24 hour period from 0000 to 2359? E.g. If I worked from 0600 to 2100 yesterday, had 9 off, started at 6 today but only worked until 12 then had a normal rest period, is that one reduced rest or two?

Nope the 24hr clock starts ticking from the time you start your shift, if you start at 06:05 then your 15hrs is up at 21:05

re: your example, the fact that a shift starting and ending in the same CALENDAR day bears no relevance to your shifts or rests it is called a 24hr period because it is a period of time containing exactly 24hrs irrespective of the day name or the date.

Reef:

Twiglet015:

Reef:

Nope the 24hr clock starts ticking from the time you start your shift, if you start at 06:05 then your 15hrs is up at 21:05

re: your example, the fact that a shift starting and ending in the same CALENDAR day bears no relevance to your shifts or rests it is called a 24hr period because it is a period of time containing exactly 24hrs irrespective of the day name or the date.

Ah OK. They don’t say these sorts of things on the actual gov site for drivers hours :angry: Thanks for the help, I can work it out from that.

When you start a shift a 24 hour countdown timer effectively begins.

When the timer in theory goes off or before you must have finished the shift and had either at least 11 hours off on rest, or 3 times between weekly rest periods you can reduce it from 11 to 9 hours.

So as soon as you do 13:01, you can no longer fit 11 hours of rest in before the 24 hours are up, so you will use 1 reduced rest, even if you have more than 11 hours off. It’s the reduced rest that allows you to do a 15 hour shift

You also have split rests, 3 hours on rest during the shift at some point, then 9 off all within the 24 hour period again