Quickest way from Swansea To Wrexham

Hello

I would like to know your views on the quickest way from south to north wales,will be driving artic 13 ft

i know there are a few ways,but i would like to know the quickest route

thanks

A 1 minute look at Google maps would have me going M4, a40, a483 as the shortest route. As I never drive down there, other than to Newport, this could be total pish. If I was forced to do it I would stick it in the Tom tom & let it lead me there. It would also depend on what time of day you were going.

Thanks for the reply sounds about right.

A483 is interesting to say the least. I’ve tried all the routes from Welshpool down to the M4 in that area and they’re all what would be considered B roads at best in the rest of the UK. Can’t remember if its on the A483 or the A470 but there’s one small place you go through where you do a sharp right then go over a bridge and do a sharp left. There’s score marks on the bridge from trailers on one side of it and on the other side there’s score marks on the buildings. Its so tight on the left turn heading northbound that you end up with the drivers side of the cab up against the walls on one side and on the other its only because your trailer wheels mount the kerb and tip the trailer a bit that you don’t hit anything on the inside.

Every time an artic goes through there the locals stop to watch to see what they’ll hit.

If you went through mid-Wales you might be better going up the A483 to Builth Wells, then the A470 and A489 to Newtown then picking up the A483 again - I used to go up those roads quite a lot when I lived in Aberystwyth. A quick look at a map shows that the A483 from Builth to Newtown isn’t a good route for artics (and I believe it has a low bridge too).

An alternative would be to head for Shrewsbury via Hereford, and from there you can take the A5 to Wrexham.

Conor:
A483 is interesting to say the least. I’ve tried all the routes from Welshpool down to the M4 in that area and they’re all what would be considered B roads at best in the rest of the UK. Can’t remember if its on the A483 or the A470 but there’s one small place you go through where you do a sharp right then go over a bridge and do a sharp left. There’s score marks on the bridge from trailers on one side of it and on the other side there’s score marks on the buildings. Its so tight on the left turn heading northbound that you end up with the drivers side of the cab up against the walls on one side and on the other its only because your trailer wheels mount the kerb and tip the trailer a bit that you don’t hit anything on the inside.

Every time an artic goes through there the locals stop to watch to see what they’ll hit.

You’re thinking Talgarth before the bypass was built; there’s a sign on the wall of a house there warning car transporters to keep clear.

I do that area regularly; my preferred route would be M4 to Pont Abraham then A483 all the way. Don’t be tempted by the short cut via Beulah and Newbridge-on-Wye which avoids Builth Wells; apart from being a 7.5 limit it’s not a good road for artics unless you know it like the back of your hand. The bridge at Newtown is 13’3", there is an avoiding route which isn’t particularly well marked; you bear right as you approach the town, bit narrow but do-able. Alternatively take the A470 from Builth Wells which is fine for height but means you have to negotiate the awkward junction at Rhayader which needs care and patience if you don’t want to make a fool of yourself.

Worst bit is Llandrindod Wells to Newtown, very scenic but twisty too in places; just be patient. Once you’re topside of Newtown it’s a good straight-ish road, beware of idiots on Welshpool by-pass.

Hey Thanks for all the responses,i will just follow the A 483

That’s Luke country. Ask him! :wink:

Sidevalve:
I do that area regularly; my preferred route would be M4 to Pont Abraham then A483 all the way. Don’t be tempted by the short cut via Beulah and Newbridge-on-Wye which avoids Builth Wells; apart from being a 7.5 limit it’s not a good road for artics unless you know it like the back of your hand. The bridge at Newtown is 13’3", there is an avoiding route which isn’t particularly well marked; you bear right as you approach the town, bit narrow but do-able. Alternatively take the A470 from Builth Wells which is fine for height but means you have to negotiate the awkward junction at Rhayader which needs care and patience if you don’t want to make a fool of yourself.

Worst bit is Llandrindod Wells to Newtown, very scenic but twisty too in places; just be patient. Once you’re topside of Newtown it’s a good straight-ish road, beware of idiots on Welshpool by-pass.

What he said.

I used to run Oswestry to Swansea on a regular basis in a LHD wagon and drag.

Welshpool, Newtown, Llanidloes, Rhayader, Builth, Llandeilo was my preferred route. Used to involve a lot of hedge hugging on the left hand bends due to reduced forward vision in a left ■■■■■■ but perfectly doable and a rather pleasant drive

Thanks fellas great help…one day they may build a motorway north to south :unamused:

From Swansea I’d go, merthyr, Brecon, Leominster, Shrewsbury, Oswestry, Wrexham. That’s the route use from merthyr to widnes

Mollys_Dad:
From Swansea I’d go, merthyr, Brecon, Leominster, Shrewsbury, Oswestry, Wrexham. That’s the route use from merthyr to widnes

I’ve tried both. You route is a fair bit longer (about 20 miles) but it’s dual carriageway up to Hirwaun and also parts of the A49 so you can crack on a bit. That having been said, it’s also a fair climb up the A465 and you’ve now got average speed cameras on that SC stretch up to the A470 turn. They tend to knock back a fair bit of what you’d gained earlier.

Sidevalve:
and you’ve now got average speed cameras on that SC stretch up to the A470 turn. They tend to knock back a fair bit of what you’d gained earlier.

Nah, you don’t go all the way to the Merthyr A470 Roundabout, turn off at Hirwaun at the A4059 Roundabout and go through Penderyn and across the common, you come out by the reservoirs further up the A470 just watch out for the suicidal sheep :laughing:

Reef:

Sidevalve:
and you’ve now got average speed cameras on that SC stretch up to the A470 turn. They tend to knock back a fair bit of what you’d gained earlier.

Nah, you don’t go all the way to the Merthyr A470 Roundabout, turn off at Hirwaun at the A4059 Roundabout and go through Penderyn and across the common, you come out by the reservoirs further up the A470 just watch out for the suicidal sheep :laughing:

^^ this. [god, that takes me back a bit. Hauling steel coils from Port Talbot to Queensferry and back with Merlin… ]

Reef:

Sidevalve:

I’d forgotten about that! Normally got drops at Bargoed and down that way before I go further north.

The Penderyn road has awesome views in daylight and cuts a lot off from going down to Cefn to join the 470.
For the record I have been advised by fellow regular users of the A465 Heads of the Valleys that the average speed cameras between Hirwaun and Dowlais do not register trucks doing more than 40mph. Judging by the number who fly past me regularly I should say that this is true but I couldn’t possibly confirm its accuracy.
I would go with the Brecon - Leominster - Shrewsbury - Oswestry route. We always used it doing Chester to Merthyr when I was a lad!

Swansea A483-A40-A483 to Builth Wells A470 to Llangurig and on to Newtown A483 through to Wrexham. Sharp turn on the bridge would be at Buith Wells.

gardun:
The Penderyn road has awesome views in daylight and cuts a lot off from going down to Cefn to join the 470.
For the record I have been advised by fellow regular users of the A465 Heads of the Valleys that the average speed cameras between Hirwaun and Dowlais do not register trucks doing more than 40mph. Judging by the number who fly past me regularly I should say that this is true but I couldn’t possibly confirm its accuracy.
I would go with the Brecon - Leominster - Shrewsbury - Oswestry route. We always used it doing Chester to Merthyr when I was a lad!

You still night trunking Gareth?

Yes - still on the dark side!