Quick tacho question!

This has probably been answered a thousand times, only just started driving a few weeks ago, and its the first time since I started i’ve done 10 hours drive in the week, so to confirm do I need to take 11 hours rest because I’ve done 10 hours driving? Or can I use one of my reduced rest breaks? not 100% sure

Cheers.

No problem using reduced daily rest under these circumstances.

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Unorthodox:
This has probably been answered a thousand times, only just started driving a few weeks ago, and its the first time since I started i’ve done 10 hours drive in the week, so to confirm do I need to take 11 hours rest because I’ve done 10 hours driving? Or can I use one of my reduced rest breaks? not 100% sure

As said there’s nothing to stop you having a reduced daily rest period when you’ve done a 10 hour drive.

The extended driving shifts and reduced daily rest periods are completely separate rules.

So I started at 5 this morning, and finished at 8 this evening? did my 10 hours, plus other work. and I’m still fine to take a reduced period? I thought a 15 hour shift coupled with a 10 hour drive, needed 11 hours off. I’m probably wrong, was just hoping for a lay in to be completely honest haha!

Unorthodox:
So I started at 5 this morning, and finished at 8 this evening? did my 10 hours, plus other work. and I’m still fine to take a reduced period? I thought a 15 hour shift coupled with a 10 hour drive, needed 11 hours off. I’m probably wrong, was just hoping for a lay in to be completely honest haha!

If you started at 05:00 and finished at 20:00 you’'ve done a 15 hour shift, so assuming you’re not multi-manning you’re having a reduced daily rest period regardless of how many hours rest you have.

The daily rest period has to fit into the 24 hour period from the start of the shift, so any shift of more than 13 hours means you’re having a reduced daily rest period.

Anyway, regardless of doing 10 hours driving you don’t legally have to have 11 hours rest, but if you do it will still count as a reduced daily rest period because only 9 hours of the rest period will fit into the 24 hour period.

Note I said you don’t have to have 11 hours rest not that you couldn’t or shouldn’t :slight_smile: :wink:

Unorthodox:

Yes, as has already been stated twice, you are absolutely fine to have a reduced rest with regard to the regs…

tachograph:

Unorthodox:

If you started at 05:00 and finished at 20:00 you’'ve done a 15 hour shift, so assuming you’re not multi-manning you’re having a reduced daily rest period regardless of how many hours rest you have.

The daily rest period has to fit into the 24 hour period from the start of the shift, so any shift of more than 13 hours means you’re having a reduced daily rest period.

Anyway, regardless of doing 10 hours driving you don’t legally have to have 11 hours rest, but if you do it will still count as a reduced daily rest period because only 9 hours of the rest period will fit into the 24 hour period.

Note I said you don’t have to have 11 hours rest not that you couldn’t or shouldn’t :slight_smile: :wink:

Cheers for clearing that up mate! I’m having the 11 anyways, long day tomorrow and need the rest! :smiley:

Doing a 15 hour shift followed by 11 hours off is still a 9 hour reduced rest for the regs because the last 2 hours of rest are outside the 24 hours period

ROG:
Doing a 15 hour shift followed by 11 hours off is still a 9 hour reduced rest for the regs because the last 2 hours of rest are outside the 24 hours period

It’s as Rog said…It’s important you don’t forget that because you had an 11 off…It’s still only counted as a 9hr rest…

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

It’s confusing for new drivers getting their head around driver regs and the working time directive. All I’ll say is read the regs, read the regs and read em some more. Understand that as drivers we follow TWO sets of regulations.

The question is answered…

But I’ll just chip in and say that a Newbie has a lot to learn when they start, so asking of the question is always the right course of action!