Quick quiz

Sidevalve:
Wonder why the home market vehicles don’t have “Built in Britain” on them, even just as a sticker?

It was one of ERF’s biggest selling points.

The made in Britain door handle broke off on the ERF I drove
Cheers Phil.

Sidevalve:
Wonder why the home market vehicles don’t have “Built in Britain” on them, even just as a sticker?

“Built in Britain, Breaks down Everywhere!”

:slight_smile:

B…

I also found the handles broke off, it’s because unlike some makes you never had to tilt the cab very often on the Erfs :laughing:

Is it a bmc truck

Leyland is a good visit been there many a time ,hence my avatar taken by my own fine hand ,but RKKI Eindhoven is even better .You don’t walk in Eindhoven ,you travel in a train .Apparently nowdays ( been years since I was there and technology has moved on ) tey have cameras on he worksatations ,and monitor in the train so as well as seeing the trucks being built you get to see on he monitors bits you may miss…You also get the history of Hub and Wim

Numbum:

Sidevalve:

The made in Britain door handle broke off on the ERF I drove
Cheers Phil.

brilliant, that did make me laugh.

norb:
Leyland is a good visit been there many a time ,hence my avatar taken by my own fine hand ,but RKKI Eindhoven is even better .You don’t walk in Eindhoven ,you travel in a train .Apparently nowdays ( been years since I was there and technology has moved on ) tey have cameras on he worksatations ,and monitor in the train so as well as seeing the trucks being built you get to see on he monitors bits you may miss…You also get the history of Hub and Wim

I have also been to Eindhoven, and yes its on a far larger scale :wink: , the point is though, many do not realise that in the UK we still have a plant that designs and builds, and even exports trucks, and while the Leyland name is not on those trucks Leyland trucks as a company is still here and going strong

Rikki-UK:
the point is though, many do not realise that in the UK we still have a plant that designs and builds, and even exports trucks, and while the Leyland name is not on those trucks Leyland trucks as a company is still here and going strong

Makes them about as British as a Honda car !!!

Rikki-UK:

norb:

I have also been to Eindhoven, and yes its on a far larger scale :wink: , the point is though, many do not realise that in the UK we still have a plant that designs and builds, and even exports trucks, and while the Leyland name is not on those trucks Leyland trucks as a company is still here and going strong

Yep it is as close to a Truly British Truck as we get …The LF is British designed ,careful as to how I put that ,as it uses a Renault cab ,but tweaked for DAF ,And as you say people do not realise that we still do build trucks …Leyland do play a large role,the prototypes for the Brasil factory where built in Leyland…Leyland send knock down kits to taiwan for assembly.All right hand drive models for the UK and export are assembled in Leyland .They even made the LF for America though badged as a Peterbilt…I may be wrong but I imagine that is now assembled in mexico

Leyland is one of the most productive plants in the world,and it has won a few awards…Even the canteen isn’t too bad :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

I think that is one reason some companys use DAF as( ie Royal Mail ,BOC Morrisons etc) it is a british built truck

Where has anyone said they are British trucks, Mike? all that’s said is there is still a truck manufacturer in Britain that is designing, developing and building trucks within the UK. The LF may have a DAF or Kenworth badge on it. But it was designed and is built by Leyland trucks… I think almost any manufacturer now would be hard pushed to claim there products are a single nationality. Almost every western truck maker uses bought in components wether it be a ■■■■■■■ engine, fuller gearbox or Renault cab. Even some manufacturers that use their “own” engines have them actually made by an outside supplier or use technology from a engine manufacturer. We were told quite frankly that producing things like their own engines, the R&D costs to keep up with legislation over the last few years make it not financially viable

Norb you are correct the trucks go to Mexico ( Paccars Mexicalli plant ) in CKD form and are assembled there for the North American Market, but I believe they are Kenworth badged not Peterbilt. The trucks for Taiwan we were told go built up, due to there not yet being an assembly plant or partner company. and yes, the canteen did us a cracking full English :slight_smile:

Are the transporters used to ferry them from the plant Brits on foreign plates or foreign (PL) trucks outright? See quite a few so just wondered.

All the axels are made in Belgium I should know delivered enough to leyland

Rikki-UK:
Where has anyone said they are British trucks, Mike? all that’s said is there is still a truck manufacturer in Britain that is designing, developing and building trucks within the UK. The LF may have a DAF or Kenworth badge on it. But it was designed and is built by Leyland trucks… I think almost any manufacturer now would be hard pushed to claim there products are a single nationality. Almost every western truck maker uses bought in components wether it be a ■■■■■■■ engine, fuller gearbox or Renault cab. Even some manufacturers that use their “own” engines have them actually made by an outside supplier or use technology from a engine manufacturer. We were told quite frankly that producing things like their own engines, the R&D costs to keep up with legislation over the last few years make it not financially viable

Norb you are correct the trucks go to Mexico ( Paccars Mexicalli plant ) in CKD form and are assembled there for the North American Market, but I believe they are Kenworth badged not Peterbilt. The trucks for Taiwan we were told go built up, due to there not yet being an assembly plant or partner company. and yes, the canteen did us a cracking full English :slight_smile:

All of which seems to settle many of the numerous arguments which I’ve had with those who think that success is supposedly all about in house integrated production operations as opposed to outsourcing components.Especially major components like engines and transmissions.

The important bit from the point of view of the UK economy isn’t where the components are sourced from but how much ‘British involvement’ is actually ‘contained’ in that componentry.IE the difference is that although we might have a reasonable share of the assembly operations the actual British content of that component manufacturing is what’s missing.Compared to the days when the UK truck manufacturers/assemblers were producing vehicles with a much higher content of UK manufactured components.Even in the case of major ones like ■■■■■■■■ UK engine manufacturing operation and from the raw materials stage to the finished product like use of UK manufactured steel etc etc.

In addition to which even with all the hype concerning ‘UK’ vehicle ‘exports’ at the end of the day we’re still in a trade deficit situation in terms of manufacturing in all sectors including the automotive one.

I used to love factory tours and visited many car and truck plants including the long defunct Bedford trucks. I toured the Leyland plant when it was brand new - built with taxpayer’s money to bring employment to the area. The line was still in pre-production on the day i went as the very junior member of a delegation from Thorn EMI. We were walked through the latest in modern computerised stores and up and down the production line, seeing how the various parts - chassis, engine, cab, etc, came together, albeit at half the planned production speed. Then a klaxon went off and we were hustled off to one side.

There were people running around and the managers who were with us ran off to sort it all out. I still have a vivid memory of the truck wheels being rolled around all over the line - apparently a set of wheels had got out of sequence and they had managed to build several dozen trucks with the wheels that should have been fitted to the truck in front.

I also heard another story: It had been decided that the amazing futuristic computerised and automated stores did not need to be kept in any logical way, engines on one rack, gearboxes on another, etc. The computer didn’t care about such things and simply slotted a pallet into the first available space. This worked fine until the computer failed. Then no one could find anything and they had people climbing all over the racks trying to find the components they needed.

When DAF bought the plant, not long after, they got it for a song - guess who was the loser? The good old British taxpayer as usual.

von max:

As is he CF XF cabs Westerloo

von max:

Not all by any means, a lot are from Albion in Scotland- just saying :wink:

Rikki-UK:

von max:

Not all by any means, a lot are from Albion in Scotland- just saying :wink:

But the albion axles are for the LF ,Though the CF 65 may use it on some variant since it also uses the LF chassis …

so its assembled in Britain then not really built

nick2008:
so its assembled in Britain then not really built

Correct hence it is called the Leyland Assembly Plant :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: They bolt the chassis together ,Attach the springs to the axles ,drop them on …For the XF CF the engine come from Eindhoven with the gearbox already attached ,so that is dropped in ,stick the wheels on and drop the cab on

youtu.be/MrOutOA1ZHg

youtu.be/1GKIPIdNv2M

2 you tube videos of the factory

they are the same video with 1 or 2 changes