Quick question.

Hello, I’m new to the forum and to trucking.

Just a question about driver’s hours.

Say that I start driving from 06:30, arrive at the depot to load/unload at 09:00 which takes one hour and leave there at 10:00 which makes it 3 hrs 30 mins in total. Does the loading/unloading count as ‘working’ time and therefore adds to my overall hours being able to work that day, it being nine or ten hours depending on the rest period? Although I’m not actually physically loading/unloading the vehicle but waiting while other people do it, would that count as working time even though I am doing nothing? I don’t know what mode to put this as either ‘break’ or ‘other work’?

Also, breakdowns, what time does that count as break/working?

I’d be grateful for any advice.

Thanks

Welcome to the forum.

If you are doing the loading then it counts as other work. In this case it would add to your working time accrued.

If someone else does the loading and you are free to recuperate then it’s rest. You could take this as a legal tacho break and it does not count towards your accrued working time.

Breakdowns can either be rest or POA depending on whether you know the approx time recovery is due.

. Does the loading/unloading count as ‘working’ time and therefore adds to my overall hours being able to work that day, answer is yes

Also, breakdowns, what time does that count as break/working? againg yes but id put it on break as the wait may well be 3 hours or more therefore still have a 15hour spread later in the week

and if I was you i’d do a Dcpc course on tacograph hours asap

Thank you for your replies.

One more question:

It’s a single carriageway and the national speed limit applies, 60 for cars and 40 for lorries. There are speed cameras, can the cameras differentiate between a car doing 60 and a lorry doing 46. Would it flash the lorry doing 46 but not the car doing 60? Same for a dual carriage way, the highway code says lorries have a statutory speed limit of 50 although cars can do 70 so would it flash if a driver was doing 56mph in that zone in a lorry where it had speed cameras? Or, if there were average speed check cameras and it was a national speed limit, would the camera be able to ‘know’ that a lorry should do 40mph and flash it although cars can do 60mph? Might seem like a naive question but out of ignorance I would to know.

Thanks

Many, although not all speed cameras can tell the difference between a car and a lorry and will detect a lorry travelling at 46mph on a single carriageway road where the limit for cars is 60mph.

Harry Monk:
Many, although not all speed cameras can tell the difference between a car and a lorry and will detect a lorry travelling at 46mph on a single carriageway road where the limit for cars is 60mph.

Harry it’s the other way around, only a few cameras have the technology to detect different vehicles, they were trailed only last year on the A13.
They work by using 2 camera systems, and work on height if the top camera detects a vehicle over 40mph it sets off the lower camera. Simple really but the cost to istall these are huge

Silverback
3 Feathers Haulage

They may have been trialling a new type recently but I think you’ll find that speed cameras that can differentiate between cars and lorries aren’t that new and have been around for a few years now.

Even the old GATSO can differentiate, using the radar return, then there are induction loops, piezo sensors and the aforementioned height sensors.

As regard the drivers hours is the op not getting eu regs and the wtd mixed up or thinking they are the same thing?

For the EU Regs
Driving is driving, up to 9 hours per day(or up to 10 hours twice a week), max of 56 per week and a max of 90 per fortnight.
Other work is loading, fuelling etc, you must complete a rest period of 11 hours (can be reduced to 9 hours 3 times a week), within 24 hours of starting your shift.

However for the WTD driving and other work count towards your working hours.

Some light reading for the OP CLICKY

3 Feathers Haulage:

Harry Monk:

Harry it’s the other way around, only a few cameras have the technology to detect different vehicles, they were trailed only last year on the A13.
They work by using 2 camera systems, and work on height if the top camera detects a vehicle over 40mph it sets off the lower camera. Simple really but the cost to istall these are huge

Silverback
3 Feathers Haulage

Not true I’m afraid. Cameras that can tell the difference between trucks and cars have been around for years. Ask me how I know. :blush: :grimacing:

Anomie:
Thank you for your replies.

One more question:

It’s a single carriageway and the national speed limit applies, 60 for cars and 40 for lorries. There are speed cameras, can the cameras differentiate between a car doing 60 and a lorry doing 46. Would it flash the lorry doing 46 but not the car doing 60? Same for a dual carriage way, the highway code says lorries have a statutory speed limit of 50 although cars can do 70 so would it flash if a driver was doing 56mph in that zone in a lorry where it had speed cameras? Or, if there were average speed check cameras and it was a national speed limit, would the camera be able to ‘know’ that a lorry should do 40mph and flash it although cars can do 60mph? Might seem like a naive question but out of ignorance I would to know.

Thanks

Personally I would always stick to limits around cameras as u never know !

jx

i would stick to the limits around camera s but at same time not worry to much about them as never had a prob with them so maybe just me
as with rest other work etc
other work can be classed as opening the door of the trailer and closing it or refueling but in general if u not actually unloading it keep it on rest after u open doors and back on bay
as far as i know its okay to have it on rest for even 2/3 mins someone will correct me if i am wrong

On the subject of speed limits,
I thought that 7.5 tonners were allowed an extra 10 mph on S/C and D/C and Motorways.

e.g. 50 on single carriageways, 60 on dual carriageways and 70 on motorways.

Of course, the limiter of 56 mph will kick in, but going downhill and using gravity with the clutch down (BAD PRACTICE OF COURSE!) its not illegal to do 70 on a motorway in a commercial vehicle not exceeding 7.5 ton Mam.

Just don’t go in the rightmost lane if there are 3 lanes or more.

Have I got that right guys and gals?

LandyLad:
I thought that 7.5 tonners were allowed an extra 10 mph on S/C and D/C and Motorways.

Of course, the limiter of 56 mph will kick in, but going downhill and using gravity with the clutch down (BAD PRACTICE OF COURSE!) its not illegal to do 70 on a motorway in a commercial vehicle not exceeding 7.5 ton Mam.

Just don’t go in the rightmost lane if there are 3 lanes or more.

Have I got that right guys and gals?

First I heard of that.

LandyLad:

That’s what it says in the highway code :slight_smile: