quick question

ive just had a look at the rules and need something clarifying.

ive been offered a job as a labourer for a scaffolding company. the job involves driving the scaffolding lorry. from what i understand the scaffold lorry is tacho exempt because it is used for carrying stuff for the business of scaffolding. am i right of wrong? are there any other rules that might take into account this type of work/vehicle?

cheers :slight_smile:

joedwyer1:
ive just had a look at the rules and need something clarifying.

ive been offered a job as a labourer for a scaffolding company. the job involves driving the scaffolding lorry. from what i understand the scaffold lorry is tacho exempt because it is used for carrying stuff for the business of scaffolding. am i right of wrong? are there any other rules that might take into account this type of work/vehicle?

cheers :slight_smile:

hi mate i applied for a smiler job and was ask if i know the EU regs

IMO as you are delivering the scaffolding to a site and returning empty you would have to comply with tacho regs

but even though i would be taking part in the errection (ha ha ha) of the scaffolding during the day working as a labourer and just driving to and from the job?

the job isn’t like they do on the big firms where an artic comes drops off the gear and thats it. :slight_smile:

Joe in this publication here…
dft.gov.uk/pgr/freight/road/ … sgoods.pdf

Is this little bit…Derogations

Vehicles or combinations of vehicles with a maximumpermissible mass not exceeding 7.5 tonnes that areused:–These vehicles shall be used only within a 50 kmradius of the base of the undertaking and on thecondition that driving the vehicle does not constitutethe driver’s main activity.
by universal service providers as defined in Article2(13) of Directive 96/67/EC of the EuropeanParliament and of the Council of 15 December 1997on common rules for the development of the internalmarket of community postal services and theimprovement ofquality service to deliver items as partof the universal service; orfor carrying materials, equipment or machineryforthe driver’s use in the course of his work.

The only universal service provider in the UK atthetime of publication (September 2007) is the RoyalMail. Universal service provider vehicles must have atachograph fitted.This would apply to tradesmen such as electricians orbuilders carrying tools or materials for their own use.

This to me looks like the only exemption for the type of work you suggest would only hold true if the vehicles maximum weight does not exceed 7.5 tonnes?

oh ok as its a new truck il just pop me card in to save hassle. and i know the hours that those boys work and i will not go any where near using up my hours cheers :smiley:

Exemption from the DRIVER CPC if the driver just drove it to the job, worked all day on the job, then drove it back again.

An example - builders who have their own 18 tonner tippers.