quick question

can you apply for an operators licence if you know someone with a cpc, do you have to have the cpc holder as your transport manager if so, and also at my parents house they have a huge driveway so could i use that as my operating centre just to keep the one unit there and no trailers, and also what is the cost of your first vehicle thanks.

You are supposed to employ the services of a cpc holder as yr transport manager. They are named on yr operators licence. I have this arrangement, but she does all my admin too so she is a big part of my business. If anyone turns up asking questions she is more than capable of answering them.

Parking on yr parents driveway? Probably not going to happen. Well unless they have a farm?

When you say cost of first vehicle? You mean for yr ops licence? Not a clue now.

Yr gonna have to work a bit harder at this mate. Don’t get despondant, if yr really serious you will get there. Have patience grasshopper!

ok cheers

Have you had a look at THESE

You may be able to keep to the unit at your parents. The only way to test that is to see if there are any objections from your neighbours or the council, probably have to put the advert in the local paper though, which is required as part of your application, but you could ask all the neighbours beforehand - maybe show them a nice picture of a unit.

There are many CPC holders willing to be employed on a part time basis in order for you to comply with that requirement, but the traffic commisioners need assurances that the Transport Manager will have full and effective control, which means the TM should be fairly local to you.

Costs for licence will be found in the VOSA documents. Truck prices can be found in magazines. If I remember correctly there is a thread on here about operating costs where it is recommended that n amount of £40,000 would be needed to fund about 3 months operation until bills are paid!

An operating centre will only be considered if a vehicle can enter and leave in a forward gear, reversing in off, out into a public road is a no-no. Also, even if you only intend to pull a customers trailers, you need to specify at least one on your licence, as when its on your unit, you are responsible for it, crap tyres, knackered brakes and all other defects :confused: , and you must have the space to park it at your centre.

Big Joe wrote:-
Also, even if you only intend to pull a customers trailers, you need to specify at least one on your licence

I’m not sure you are right about having to specify a trailer if you don’t have one - one of my operators only specified his unit on his licence, and it was granted. Not even sure about the reversing thing either, come to think of it.

Smart Mart:

Big Joe wrote:-
Also, even if you only intend to pull a customers trailers, you need to specify at least one on your licence

I’m not sure you are right about having to specify a trailer if you don’t have one - one of my operators only specified his unit on his licence, and it was granted. Not even sure about the reversing thing either, come to think of it.

They may not be requirements, but ensuring that certain criteria are met will ensure the speedy trouble free passage of the application.
Specifing a trailer covers the operator if the owner of the trailer doesn’t have an O/licence, I’ve read of certain TC’s rejecting applications because of this reason, and the forward gear thing is usually raised by local highways when the application is passed to them for approval. If access is off a public road, they’ll want all entrance and exit movements from the centre in a forward gear.

ok cheers for that, whats the best way to start out buy the truck and look for work or just try and get work first, i could buy a truck for 10k or under out right to start out with, but what amount would you say you need to pay for such as fuel and repairs for the first few month till the money starts coming in thanks.

Igamston wrote:-
but what amount would you say you need to pay for such as fuel and repairs for the first few month till the money starts coming in thanks.

Thought I covered that in a previous post - around £40,000 was quoted on previous threads! Have a search for other threads about owner drivers.

You should always make sure there is work for you before committing large sums. Remember also that you could have to wait up to 3 months before money stars to come in!

your named transport manager must be a cpc holder. vosa are not big fans of those that offer their services but have nothing to do with the day to day business so beware !!!. seriously you will not be granted an operating centre at your parents house on a residential street and you would have your application rejected before you even start with all the other stuff thats involved.
whats the cost of your first truck ? if you mean to obtain an o licence then its currently £6200, if you mean to buy then its as much as you can afford.

i think you need to do a little more homework as to just whats involved then decide again whether you wish to go on.

sorry if that sounds harsh but thats the way it works im afraid.

The £6200 is only the amount of funds required to be shown as available on the application, there is also the application fee and the licence grant fee - let alone the cost of fuel. That £6200 should always be avaialble - its not just a one off for the application.

Generally speaking your nominated Transport Manager will have to commit to at least 8 hours per week to satisfy the Traffic Commisioner, so you should expect to be paying him/her for a days work per week. Although you can get one for around £200-£300 per month.

well, the running costs alone,

£1000 -£1200 per week on fuel, depending on what type of work you are doing
£wage for yourself to live on

you will also need to save money for other items such as road tax, insurance, MoT’s, maintainance, servicing, tyres and breakdowns

as has already been said, some companies pay after 3 months, so you can be looking at a figure of £16,000 just for fuel alone :open_mouth: , unless you can get onto a company and start using their fuel card, but again, you will pay a little extra for this service.

you need to know if you can get regular work before you purchase the truck, you may want to look into that first.

you will need either a service contract or a letter of intent (to service your vehicle when you get it) for your application, unless you are handy with the spanners and do your own inspections and servicing.

as has already been mentioned, parking on your parents driveway is a no-no, quickest way to get a refusal :blush:

you will need to find somewhere suitable to park, try having a word with local hauliers to see if you can rent a parking space in their yard, they should charge you somewhere between £20 and £30 per week for the parking space, you would be advised to apply for 1 vehicle and 1 trailer (it doesn’t cost any extra). if you can find a space in a hauliers yard, you will need a letter from the company stating that you can park there, in the letter, it needs to say how many spaces for vehicles and trailers you are allowed to park there and also, from what date you can start using that place as your operating centre.

you will need a lot of patience, an understanding bank manager and a very understanding wife/family

hope this helps