Quick question regarding hours

In my normal day I’ll have 30 minutes break in the first 6 hours and then a further 30 minutes usually before I reach 4.5 hours driving (or like now 3h 50m). Now if I’m correct that’ll cover me for 12 hours (WTD). If I go into my 13th hour do I need a further 15 minute break?

Tarrman:
In my normal day I’ll have 30 minutes break in the first 6 hours and then a further 30 minutes usually before I reach 4.5 hours driving (or like now 3h 50m). Now if I’m correct that’ll cover me for 12 hours (WTD). If I go into my 13th hour do I need a further 15 minute break?

Depending on when you took the first 30 min break the clock re sets for another 6hrs the moment the first break ends hth

Depends when you take the 2nd break not the 1st , if you take the 2nd after 8.5 hrs then you’re covered upto 15 hrs.

You could have 15 mins for the first break and then 30 for the second which would cover both RTD and driving breaks

At no point in the shift should there be a period of more than 6 hours work without at least a 15 min break for the RTD

If you took 15 mins break before 6 hours work when driving time was 3.5 hours then a little later took the 30 min break when driving time was at 4.5 hours then from the end of that 30 min break until the end of the shift you have to ensure that no more than 6 hours of work was done unless you took another 15 min RTD break
Work = other work and driving time added together - it does not refer to shift time

Thanks, I’ve been having 30 mins for my first break as its seems to be the norm where I’m working, then 30 minutes later when I get near my first 4.5 of driving, that usually covers me for 12 hours. I tend not to use any POA but when i do I look at it as it puts everything on hold (or pushes break times etc back). Just wondered if I would need a further 15 minute break if I went over 12 hours working having already had two 30 minutes (going off the assumption that its 15 for 6 hours then 15 minutes for every 3 hours after that).

If that makes sense :grimacing:

Tarrman:
Thanks, I’ve been having 30 mins for my first break as its seems to be the norm where I’m working, then 30 minutes later when I get near my first 4.5 of driving, that usually covers me for 12 hours. I tend not to use any POA but when i do I look at it as it puts everything on hold (or pushes break times etc back). Just wondered if I would need a further 15 minute break if I went over 12 hours working having already had two 30 minutes (going off the assumption that its 15 for 6 hours then 15 minutes for every 3 hours after that).

Your assumption is incorrect

The RTD rules are simple -
No driver shall work more than ANY period of 6 hours without having at least a 15 min break

ROG:

Tarrman:

Your assumption is incorrect

The RTD rules are simple -
No driver shall work more than ANY period of 6 hours without having at least a 15 min break

I don’t think I made that very clear :blush:

I always have 30 minutes before 6 hours is up, then my next 30 minutes will always be before the next 6 hours is up or if I reach 4.5hrs (usually get near 4.5 hours first before a further 6 hours work). Do I need to have a further 15 minutes if I go over 12 hours duty/driving/work time?

Ah right so after 12 hours is worked the next 6 hour period begins meaning at least 15 minutes break is needed? Or in this case up to 3 hours as that would take me to 15 hours. Or do I not need a further 15 as only 3 more hours can be worked?

Tarrman:
Ah right so after 12 hours is worked the next 6 hour period begins meaning at least 15 minutes break is needed? Or in this case up to 3 hours as that would take me to 15 hours. Or do I not need a further 15 as only 3 more hours can be worked?

If you worked 6 hours then took a 15 min break then did another 6 hours of work and had a 15 min break that would satisfy the 6 hour rule completely - Impossible to work another 6 hours after that second 15 BUT although the 6 hour break requirement is met, the other part of the RTD break rules has not been met.
The other part says that a certain total amount of break must be taken for a particular length of work done which is either 30 mins if 6 to 9 hours OR 45 mins if over 9 hours of work (not shift time)

if you did 6 work, 15 break, 6 work, 15 break then there would only be 2.5 hours left and at least 15 mins would need to be taken within that time to satisfy the total break requirement for the work done in the shift because the work in the shift has gone over 9 hours so a total of 45 mins must be taken

All this does not take into account any required driving time breaks which often come into effect before the RTD requires a break

Tarrman:

Lets start at the beginning shall we :wink:

You should not go over 6 hours working time without a break of at-least 15 minutes, and if your total working time during the shift is over 9 hours you should have breaks totalling 45 minutes or more.

You already know that driving breaks count as WTD breaks and where appropriate vice versa.

Lets say your second 30 minute break finishes when you’re 6.5 hours into a shift of 13 hours, so after the second break you’ve still got 6½ hours working time to do.
You cannot do over 6 hours working time without a break, so you will need another 15 minute break no later than 6 hours from the end of the last break.

Now lets suppose your second 30 minute break finishes 8 hours into the 13 hour shift, after the second break you will only be working another 5 hours so you do not need another WTD break.
However if the shift was to be 15 hours and your second 30 minute break finished at 8 hours into the shift you would still have another 7 hour work to do so you would again need another break no later than 6 hours from the end of the previous break.

Right I get ya :wink:

Sorry for the dumb questions :blush: :blush:

Tarrman:

What dumb questions ? :confused:

ROG:

Tarrman:

That’s the only dumb question in the thread :smiley: :wink:

tachograph:

ROG:

Tarrman:

That’s the only dumb question in the thread :smiley: :wink:

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Thanks chaps :smiley:

Removed to start new thread :blush:

robroy:
Has anybody heard of any driver that has actually been done for this wtd/rtd ■■■■■■■■, I haven’t, because I reckon that said authorities see it for what it REALLY is, a P R excercise for the purpose of " Being seen to be doing the right thing" in terms of working hours (solved by the use of the cop out POA) where as in real terms nothing has changed, a similar thing to the DCPC :unamused:

It seems that only some companies give out internal RTD infringements from what I have read