Quick question re POA

hello.could anybody answer my question? - is POA allowed as a passenger in a goods vehicle which is being driven? thanks,Roy.

roymoz:
hello.could anybody answer my question? - is POA allowed as a passenger in a goods vehicle which is being driven? thanks,Roy.

dont they automatically default to p.o.a when youre double manned,im 99% sure our stoneridges do

roymoz:

YES

When double manned ONLY the first 45 mins of POA can be counted as BREAK

thanks fella’s. the reason i ask is that i ran out of hours & took my chart out then waited two hours for another driver to take me back to base. when i got back i was told to put all this time(from when i took my chart out)to getting back as poa.

roymoz:
thanks fella’s. the reason i ask is that i ran out of hours & took my chart out then waited two hours for another driver to take me back to base. when i got back i was told to put all this time(from when i took my chart out)to getting back as poa.

That could raise all sort of interesting questions!!!

First one, when you said you, “ran out of hours” was this driving hours or total hours? :wink:

roymoz:

If you ran out of driving time but had the 2 hours you waited and the drive back to base time available as working time then you are fine. If you didn’t have those 2+ hours available you could be deep in the crap.

i’m only allowed to work 10hrs as a night worker-cos we hav’nt opted out- & i did’nt run out of driving time,i had an hour or so left, i was going to run out of duty time.

roymoz:
i’m only allowed to work 10hrs as a night worker-cos we hav’nt opted out- & i did’nt run out of driving time,i had an hour or so left, i was going to run out of duty time.

If you run out of duty time then you cannot travel as a passenger as that is other work

thanks for the reply rog. i guess i’ll have to wait & see what happnes there then!

ROG:

roymoz:

If you run out of duty time then you cannot travel as a passenger as that is other work

I take that to mean he was going to exceed the 10 hour night time working rule and as the time spent travelling back to base can be POA or break, which doesn’t count toward the 10 hours, then he should be okay. Of course if he means he was going to exceed his 13/15 hours duty time then my theory is a load of ■■■■■■■■.

off the top of my head i’d done about 9 1/2 hrs of driving/work but pulled up in a safe place & waited for my lift back.

roymoz:
off the top of my head i’d done about 9 1/2 hrs of driving/work but pulled up in a safe place & waited for my lift back.

Then you have 30 mins approx left so as a PASSENGER you can record that travelling time as POA which does not count towards your time for the 10 hours.
As long as when you got back to the yard you did not do much ‘other work’ (less than 30 mins) then you should be ok as long as your DAILY REST requirements were met.

If I said any of that wrong that I’m sure a GURU will correct me :smiley:

roymoz:

9.5 hours plus at least one break plus 2 hour wait for lift plus travelling time back to base plus clocking off time looks like it might be more than 13 hours duty so hopefully you had ‘a 15’ available. If you didn’t and you did more than 13 hours duty it wasn’t legal to get the lift back.

ROG:
Then you have 30 mins approx left so as a PASSENGER you can record that travelling time as POA which does not count towards your time for the 10 hours.

Or break.

ROG:
As long as when you got back to the yard you did not do much ‘other work’ (less than 30 mins) then you should be ok as long as your DAILY REST requirements were met.

Daily rest is not the only important thing here. As he will be close to his maximum 10 hours, about 9.5 hours driving/work done plus a bit more work while clocking off once back at the yard, the start time of the next shift will be important so as not to exceed 10 hours work in 24 hours. It’s not just 10 hours work in the shift, it’s 10 hours work in any 24 hour period.

i did’nt do any work at all when i got back,bar handing in my paperwork, which took seconds.

roymoz:
i did’nt do any work at all when i got back,bar handing in my paperwork, which took seconds.

Looks like you are okay then. The only remaining thing which may catch you out is the start time of that shift and the start time of the next so as not to exceed 10 hours work in 24.