Quick Question on Tacho

I did a job for Harvey’s on 7.5 ton last Friday.
I started at 6:15 in the morning.
My Tacho was put in the truck at 6:38 and put on POA. We had to drive up to Durham from Warrington. The other guy said POA is the correct setting for me so I just agreed as he was driving first.
Anyway once we got to our first drop I didn’t change mine to other work while we unloaded cause he said I don’t need to is this correct?
In fact I didn’t change from POA till about 2PM when I started driving.
I drove for about 3 hours then set it to break. And he drove back.
We didn’t reach the depot until 9:05. So have I broken any regs? I’m really confused! I thought I couldn’t work for 15 hours!

Alan16ac:
My Tacho was put in the truck at 6:38 and put on POA. We had to drive up to Durham from Warrington. The other guy said POA is the correct setting for me so I just agreed as he was driving first.
Anyway once we got to our first drop I didn’t change mine to other work while we unloaded cause he said I don’t need to is this correct?
We didn’t reach the depot until 9:05. So have I broken any regs? I’m really confused! I thought I couldn’t work for 15 hours!

The rules for double manning are different, you can have a working day up to 21 hours ( both drivers driving up to 10 hours) and then both drivers must have a minimum daily rest of 9 hours, so the 15 hour working day doesn’t apply to this particular day.

Hope this helps.

John

Alan16ac:

Manual entry for the period of time from 0615 to 0638

When you got to drop and started working, Other work should have been selected because that would be a true record of your duties and is legally required

After driving for 3 hours you cannot set to break in driver 2 slot but you can set to POA if you were not doing anything like navigating

The first 45 mins of every POA period recorded will count as break when in driver 2 slot under MM rules

Alan16ac:

Presumably you put your card/chart in the second driver position then changed it to the driver position when you started driving ?

You should have put the tachograph on other work whilst you was unloading but it’s too late now so forget it :wink:

When you’re double manning you can do a shift up-to 21 hours.

Yes when I started driving my card was moved to the driver slot and his in slot 2.
My concerns where number one, the length of the shift but it seems that’s cleared up being allowed to do 21 double manned.
Secondly I was concerned that the work when unloading wasn’t recorded. He told me it didn’t need to be but I was pretty sure it did. I will put my foot down next time now I know what’s what.
I don’t want to break any regs.

Thanks for the replies guys.

Oh and I wasn’t navigation he had a truck Nav.

Think I might do a CPC course on drivers hours and regs. It’ll count towards my 35 and ill be more comfortable knowing what’s legal and what isn’t.

Alan16ac:
Think I might do a CPC course on drivers hours and regs. It’ll count towards my 35 and ill be more comfortable knowing what’s legal and what isn’t.

That is a good idea but choose your course carefully

What you need is a course where the trainer encourages those that do not fully understand to ask questions

Speaking out is uncomfortable for many but unless you do then you could come away without fully understanding certain points

I attended an excellent course on drivers hours where the trainer had everyone relaxed and encouraged questions but guess what happened … more questions got asked between the drivers on the breaks than between the drivers and the trainer in the classroom

The trainer (boss of a LGV training company) in the above course had probably been there and got all the T shirts before many on that course were born so he really knew his stuff :smiley: :smiley: